Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 16:09   #3496
BHPian

Re: Nuvi 55LM india maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By NA I hope you mean North America?

For India

- You can buy the Map My India maps which come in an SD card.
- For free maps; look at OSM maps (Open Street Maps).

Having made the points above, MMI are the best maps for India. (As far as my experience goes).
How do we install OSM maps on the garmin device?
I see many a folders under the root on the device. Earlier, if i remember right we used to copy the map image into the root>garmin folder.

Last edited by ampere : 21st February 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Formatted Post
Old 21st February 2016, 16:29   #3497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How do we install OSM maps on the garmin device?
I see many a folders under the root on the device. Earlier, if i remember right we used to copy the map image into the root>garmin folder.

- Install Basecamp on Windows/Mac. This is the S/W which helps installing/transferring maps/waypoints/tracks etc to/from your Garmin device.
- Then you need to install the maps on this base s/w. After this you use this s/w to transfer the map to the device.

- Goto : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- Select Garmin Routable.
- Download OSM maps by select the tiles that you need (India) and then the site compiles the map and sends you a link, once done. (Choose the platform Windows/Mac).
- One it gives you the source; download and install the map on the S/W
- Once done, you can transfer the map to the device from Basecamp.

Hope that helps. Please note OSM are free maps.

Last edited by ampere : 21st February 2016 at 16:32.
Old 21st February 2016, 16:38   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
- Install Basecamp on Windows/Mac. Please note OSM are free maps.
I am not able to install basecamp on my windows 7 machine, as it is asking for windows media player v11 or newer. It prompts me to open a link which takes me to microsoft site, where there is no option provided to download media player for windows 7.

So either I need to get this media player on my machine, or need to find a way to move maps into the device without basecamp.
Old 21st February 2016, 16:46   #3499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So either I need to get this media player on my machine, or need to find a way to move maps into the device without basecamp.
Basecamp is a Garmin S/W which ideally should not depend on media player. No idea. You some how need to get it installed. Thats the cleanest way to install maps/waypoints on device. I was able to do on my Win-7 machine quite some back. Should work.

Is there where you are downloading it from?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=4435

I have been using it on both Mac and windows for the last 4-5 years now.

Please Note: Dont know if others too realise this;

- Basecamp (Earlier Roadtrip for Mac and Mapsource for Windows) is a brilliant way to consolidate all your travel data into one place.
- You can keep all your data logs of drives, way points, route plans etc on this software
- You can also export that data on to GPX/GDB formats and keep a back-up on cloud.

Last edited by ampere : 21st February 2016 at 16:53.
Old 21st February 2016, 16:57   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Basecamp is a Garmin S/W which ideally should not depend on media player. No idea. You some how need to get it installed. Thats the cleanest way to install maps/waypoints on device. I was able to do on my Win-7 machine quite some back. Should work.

Is there where you are downloading it from?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=4435

I have been using it on both Mac and windows for the last 4-5 years now.
Yep! I have downloaded the same. But when try to install, it is looking for media player. I don't how media player was NOT installed along with the pre-installed windows 7 OS on my dell XPS m/c.
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:59   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Alas, my Garmin 260W has stopped recognizing the SD Card! :( The unit is working fine otherwise, recognizing satellites and recording the route traveled (GPX). I had the India map in the SD card (the built-in map was North America, and I had Europe and India in the SD card).

It is a problem in the unit I guess, since the SD card doesn't show up in the Storage Device connection mode - neither on Mac nor on PC. Need to open the unit and check, but feeling too lazy.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd February 2016 at 22:00.
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:33   #3502
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Alas, my Garmin 260W has stopped recognizing the SD Card! :( The unit is working fine otherwise, recognizing satellites and recording the route traveled (GPX). I had the India map in the SD card (the built-in map was North America, and I had Europe and India in the SD card).
@DA You should still be able to install the maps on the device's internal memory via basecamp. See if that works for you?
Old 27th February 2016, 08:12   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
- Install Basecamp on Windows/Mac. This is the S/W which helps installing/transferring maps/waypoints/tracks etc to/from your Garmin device.
- Then you need to install the maps on this base s/w. After this you use this s/w to transfer the map to the device.

- Goto : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- Select Garmin Routable.
- Download OSM maps by select the tiles that you need (India) and then the site compiles the map and sends you a link, once done. (Choose the platform Windows/Mac).
- One it gives you the source; download and install the map on the S/W
- Once done, you can transfer the map to the device from Basecamp.

Hope that helps. Please note OSM are free maps.
Quote:
I am not able to install basecamp on my windows 7 machine, as it is asking for windows media player v11 or newer. It prompts me to open a link which takes me to microsoft site, where there is no option provided to download media player for windows 7.

What is the difference between 'OSM Base Map' and 'Topographic' downloads? Which download would give me a garmin compatible map images?

I just want to copy the map image to the external card on the garmin device.

Please advise.
Old 27th February 2016, 10:02   #3504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the difference between 'OSM Base Map' and 'Topographic' downloads? Which download would give me a garmin compatible map images?
Topographical typically also includes terrain data. But where is that its being asked on the site? Chose generic routable and select India. On Selecting India, the site will select all India specific tiles. It will then create the image and will mail you the download link.

Quote:
I just want to copy the map image to the external card on the garmin device.
You should be able to copy that image to the SD card and when you select maps it should show up. The reason, I suggested basecamp option is because, its then easy manage your way points through that approach.

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2016 at 10:21.
Old 27th February 2016, 10:19   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Topographical typically also includes terrain data. But where is that its being asked on the site?
http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php
Old 28th February 2016, 08:10   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
....... But the device will not recognise the route, when transferred. Transfer all the waypoints to the device. They will show-up under "favourites".

Create a route in Basecamp by using waypoints just to get a feel. And then in the device, feed these waypoints, one by one to cover to the next point.
I have recently bought nuvi 65LM. Initially i could transfer the routes from BaseCamp to the device but now the device does not show any imported routes.

Following link explains how to show routes imported on a Garmin 60 series but inspite of following the instructions no transfer route from BaseCamp shows up on device. Its so much better to plan a route in BaseCamp and transfer to nuvi, instead of transferring just the waypoints. But sadly, none of this works. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Transferring a route .gpx file to nuvi also doesn't work.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={f2cf7300-77af-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={65814150-50b3-11dc-4ec8-000000000000}#Camper
Old 28th February 2016, 10:00   #3507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
I have recently bought nuvi 65LM. Initially i could transfer the routes from BaseCamp to the device but now the device does not show any imported routes.
On the Garmin site, I see the 65LM specs and it says, trip planner being supported

In such a case:
- You should create a route in Basecamp using the trip planning utility.
- Then transfer the way points and the route.
- In the device, open the trip planner utility. You should see the imported route.
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:58   #3508
Team-BHP Support

All, Please note: Map My India has stopped supporting Garmin devices. I just got a confirmation from their support.

So there is no choice but Garmin's own maps or Open Street Maps.
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:27   #3509
Distinguished - BHPian

So far, I have not installed Sygic on my new phone,, although I own a whole-world licence. I decided to try Google Maps when I need nav. I needed it the other day. It was fine, because I got all the turn instructions and, obviously, could see the map on the screen. What was not fine was Google maps displaying some street/place names in Tamil script. As far as I know, there is no locale/language setting anywhere on my phone suggesting that any app should use any other language but English.

If Google thinks it is clever, doing this, then it ought to auto-detect whether my wife is in the car or not. . Even if she had been, she might not have been able to easily see the screen.
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:30   #3510
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@ampere; Most OE navigation systems use MMI, so they maye be getting enough business, also as the quality of maps converges Garmin were getting too close for comfort, so not much demand for MMI on Garmin. See given the converging quality Garmin with LM is a far better deal/VFM.

Most Viewed