Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:58   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
... no choice but Garmin's own maps or Open Street Maps.
Garmin seems to have a Garmin version and a Here version, no?
Old 3rd March 2016, 21:37   #3512
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What was not fine was Google maps displaying some street/place names in Tamil script. As far as I know, there is no locale/language setting anywhere on my phone suggesting that any app should use any other language but English.

If Google thinks it is clever, doing this, then it ought to auto-detect whether my wife is in the car or not. . Even if she had been, she might not have been able to easily see the screen.
No Google Maps doesn't have Artificial Intelligence built-in. . Google Map data is entirely crowd sourced. It is possible that the person who added the street to the map, added only tamil name. If Google maps cannot find the name in the language set in the system locale, I guess it will display the next available one from the map data.
Old 4th March 2016, 13:45   #3513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
It is possible that the person who added the street to the map, added only tamil name.
Ahh, yes, very possibly. Thanks for that.
Old 4th March 2016, 17:21   #3514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No Google Maps doesn't have Artificial Intelligence built-in. . Google Map data is entirely crowd sourced. It is possible that the person who added the street to the map, added only tamil name. If Google maps cannot find the name in the language set in the system locale, I guess it will display the next available one from the map data.
Not all data is crowd sourced. Openstreetmap is fully crowdsourced though.
Old 14th March 2016, 15:34   #3515
BHPian

Live suggestion on places to visit on Maps based on pre-entered values

Tried searching but could not find relevant thread. Please merge or rename thread as appropriate. Here is what I intend to do /have

A map (preferably google maps since it’s free, reliable and always used by me at least) where I can do the following

• Add location/people which I have visited or want to visit in future
• Add pictures / links / text which can / should be available upon clicking
• Ability to search on the go (on mobile) whether I have any location to visit in a radius of X kms along the identified route or the place where i am currently
• Something easy to work and use. Not technical like copying API then merging with xyz etc.

Background:

Been reading so much of travelogue and there are so many places to visit. Last visit to Coorg there came a point when I had one day in hand but couldn’t find anything apart from touristy stuff on net. While one can check Tbhp and I did but still sometimes the details of places to visit, stay etc gets lost among the pictures and pages

I want a map which is always handy to me and which I can use to identify locations/places/stay etc. on the go while on a trip. Something like somewhere on the highway I can switch on and it tells me the nearest place/people from there (pre-identified by me during idle time) which I can visit

PS: This is not about GPS tracks, traffic updates, creating new maps which then are not updated by google and other discussed things but a live map where my pre-fed people/places are available on the go on the mobile

PPS: There is a thread with speed breakers but then it will only warn me if I am travelling on the road. My need is something which tells me people/places in a radius of X kms from where I am
Old 12th April 2016, 10:25   #3516
J.Ravi

A few days ago, I got a pop-up message, intimating availability of February 2016 maps for my Navi Maps app. Immediately, I downloaded all the February 2016 maps of India, viz., South, North, East and West/Central zones. Nowadays, I have been using Navi Maps on my smartphone extensively even when driving my XUV 500, whose dash navigator has outdated maps of version 9, for which no updated maps are available.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20160412101056469.jpeg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th April 2016 at 10:36.

Old 12th April 2016, 12:37   #3517
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nuvi 55LM india maps?

Quote:
- Install Basecamp on Windows/Mac. This is the S/W which helps installing/transferring maps/waypoints/tracks etc to/from your Garmin device.
- Then you need to install the maps on this base s/w. After this you use this s/w to transfer the map to the device.

- Goto : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- Select Garmin Routable.
- Download OSM maps by select the tiles that you need (India) and then the site compiles the map and sends you a link, once done. (Choose the platform Windows/Mac).
- One it gives you the source; download and install the map on the S/W
- Once done, you can transfer the map to the device from Basecamp.

Hope that helps. Please note OSM are free maps.
Hi ampere. I do have basecamp, but the map was not showing many places on my laptop. So using your suggestion, I downloaded the maps on my laptop from the email that was auto-generated.

But the email has several other options, like downloading the map image to the device. Below is the email i got.

My question to you is whether to download the gmapsupp.zip on my laptop and move it to my Garmin device? I already have that image file on my device that i downloaded a couple of months ago. But i had directly downloaded from the website at that point of time, and not using the link in the email. Will it make any difference?

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-garmin-openstreet-email.png
Old 12th April 2016, 12:47   #3518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My question to you is whether to download the gmapsupp.zip on my laptop and move it to my Garmin device? I already have that image file on my device that i downloaded a couple of months ago. But i had directly downloaded from the website at that point of time, and not using the link in the email. Will it make any difference?
@vnabhi,

Since you wish to see/browse the maps on the PC, download the version for PC. (EXE installer for windows or macosx.zip installer for mac as the mail says.

Only if you want to use the open street map in the device (GPS), then you download the gampsupp.img and copy it to the device.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2016 at 12:51.
Old 12th April 2016, 12:54   #3519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vnabhi,

Since you wish to see/browse the maps on the PC, download the version for PC. (EXE installer for windows or macosx.zip installer for mac as the mail says.

Only if you want to use the open street map in the device (GPS), then you download the gampsupp.img and copy it to the device.
Thanks, I've already done the first part and now the basecamp map is clearer on the PC.

As regards the device, i already have open street map on it. I had downloaded it in January, but not using the method you've suggested. I had downloaded it directly to my PC and copied the zipped file to my device using the usb cord.

The method you've suggested involves getting a link via email and then using the url in it to download. I am not sure if there will be any difference in the map.
Old 12th April 2016, 13:07   #3520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The method you've suggested involves getting a link via email and then using the url in it to download. I am not sure if there will be any difference in the map.
Content should be same. In the delivery based method, you can select what tile you want and their backend compiles the selected tiles. Once done they send you a reminder by email. Map content though should get periodically updated.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:45   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Nowadays, I have been using Navi Maps on my smartphone extensively even when driving my XUV 500, whose dash navigator has outdated maps of version 9, for which no updated maps are available.
Ravi Sir, have you stopped using your stand-alone MMI GPS device? Is Navi Maps totally offline - i.e. it does not require a continuous data connection to keep updating the map on the screen? Thanks.
Old 15th April 2016, 14:05   #3522
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Ravi Sir, have you stopped using your stand-alone MMI GPS device?
No way. My loyal MMI Lx130 navigator with outated maps accompanies me whenever and wherever I drive or ride as a back-up. Here is my experience during my ride from Kolkata to Delhi recently:

Quote:
The power-outlet in my bird has 12V 5A rating, whereas my XUV 500's has a rating of 12V 15A. I have used NaviMaps in my smartphone continuously for more than 24 hours without any issues in my XUV 500. But, I understood the difference practically, while entering Agra on 19 Feb 2016, when suddenly my smartphone went dead. I didn't realize that it was totally discharged. I tried in vain by removing the battery and refitting after 5 minutes. Then, I rode to a nearby dhaba and requested the owner for using their power outlet for a few minutes for which he readily agreed. When I plugged the smartphone into the wall socket, my smartphone got back its life, but all the maps in NaviMaps were gone. It wanted me to download all the maps again! Perhaps, in the confusion, I might have touched factory-reset. But then, how to reach my hotel at east Delhi? Thankfully, I had brought my good old MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator, which had the hotel listed in PoI. So, I removed my smartphone from the holder and fitted MMI Lx130 on it. Even, it suffered from the same issue; after some time, it got switched off due to nil charge. Then, it dawned on me that the charging current is less than the current consumed by my smartphone and MMI Lx130! So, while riding Yamuna Expressway, I switched off MMI Lx130, but plugged it into the power outlet, so that it would get adequate back-up. After exiting Yamuna Expressway, I stopped and switched on MMI Lx130 and it guided me perfectly until I reached my hotel at east Delhi without any issues.
Murphy's Law worked overtime on that day! Lesson learnt: I should take my power bank too and should not depend upon my 12V 5A charger of my Thunderbird 500!

Quote:
Is Navi Maps totally offline
Yes. You don't require data connection or Internet for using Navi Maps. However, you require Wifi/Internet once for downloading the maps initially.

Old 15th April 2016, 14:22   #3523
BHPian

Thanks Ravi Sir.

My MMI Vx140's input is rated at 5V 1.5A. I have even tried using a high capacity charger (2.4A) with it, but it will still take only 1.5A; perhaps the charging circuit is set up that way. Most phones come with a 1A charger, except the high-end ones that come with 2.4A charger.

How then can 5A not be enough either for your phone or MMI? Perhaps the outlet in your Bird isn't actually putting out 5A but a tenth of that or less. Worth checking it.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:06   #3524
BHPian

Quote:

Murphy's Law worked overtime on that day! Lesson learnt: I should take my power bank too and should not depend upon my 12V 5A charger of my Thunderbird 500!
Can you check the power rating of the Car adapter that you are using.? If you had bought it few years back, probably it would be rated less than 1A, which is not sufficient enough for today's smart phones. Buy a 2 port USB adapters with 2A rating, that should be good to charge multiple devices.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:57   #3525
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Perhaps the outlet in your Bird isn't actually putting out 5A but a tenth of that or less. Worth checking it.
Thanks, TheTeacher. Yes, that could be a possibility. I bought that cheap Chinese charger from Ali Express.

Quote:
Buy a 2 port USB adapters with 2A rating, that should be good to charge multiple devices.
Thanks, Landkruzer. Yes, now I got a Belkin dual USB adaptor with 2 x 2.1A rating, which I will try in the next ride along with my power bank acting as a back-up.

Most Viewed