Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 17:56   #3601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. Go to this site : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
I have Garmin Nuvi 2300. I have used both Garmin & OpenStreet maps. I would rate OpenStreet far ahead of Garmin maps.
Old 2nd July 2018, 18:11   #3602
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys, a quick question? What is wrong with Google maps? I mean, apart from the fact that you have to stick your phone on the windshield (assuming you can't mirror your screen on the ICE), I always thought GMaps is the best since you get live traffic, mostly accurate and easily updated maps.

Why is it that you guys are still after Garmin and the likes? I haven't used Garmin, but I have used MMI and I found it to be inferior and cumbersome to use, and updating it was a pain. So, is there something in these stand alone units and their maps that makes them superior to GMaps?
Old 2nd July 2018, 18:20   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure. This is what you do for Garmin
Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions. I was able to generate and download detailed maps for India, which were successfully transferred to my device. Yet to try driving around with these but look promising as of now.

A few questions:

* What's the difference between "Generic Routable Map" and "Generic Routable (new Style)"? Is it only the download procedure or the content differs too? I opted for the latter.

* Given that you have been using these for while now, how reliable/accurate are they?

Again, can't thank you enough mate Looks like I might have saved myself some bucks by avoiding buying a new device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Aha! This is one question which bothered me the most! You asked this question before as well!
Yes, I did For now, I will try the Openstreet maps and see if that works for me. If not, I will go for a new device with this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not Garmin express. Log to Garmin account via the browser. Garmin express will only show the US map updates as thats the default map against which your device is tied to.
I did that too and the list of India maps that I see does not show my device (Nuvi 205w) as a supported one for any of them. So even if I buy one, I am quite certain that it won't work for my device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
So, is there something in these stand alone units and their maps that makes them superior to GMaps?
Yes! The ability to use them in any corner of the world not worrying about network and data connectivity!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2018, 19:10   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yes! The ability to use them in any corner of the world not worrying about network and data connectivity!
Agreed. But then you can download the maps in GMaps too and use it where there is no network or data connection, prior to reaching such a place. Of course, then live traffic and A-GPS may not work, similar to stand alone units. So I don't see how they are any different from GMaps.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:04   #3605
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, a quick question? What is wrong with Google maps?.... I always thought GMaps is the best since you get live traffic, mostly accurate and easily updated maps.

Why is it that you guys are still after Garmin and the likes? I haven't used Garmin, but I have used MMI and I found it to be inferior and cumbersome to use, and updating it was a pain. So, is there something in these stand alone units and their maps that makes them superior to GMaps?
It is the way Google Maps guide you. I have pointed out earlier that GM tells you like so : " Turn to Mannarkudi Kathavarayan road and proceed towards Dindigul Tindivanam NH" using anglicized Indian names. It is not intuitive to follow. Garmin tells you the bare essentials - " in 300 meters Turn Right".

Then there is a bit of technical issues with GM. It depends on the Phone's hardware to sense the GPS data. If the phone has no dedicated GPS chip, it needs the network to extrapolate the location.

The bottomline is if you are used to Garmin, nothing comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions. I was able to generate and download detailed maps for India, which were successfully transferred to my device. Yet to try driving around with these but look promising as of now.

A few questions:

* What's the difference between "Generic Routable Map" and "Generic Routable (new Style)"? Is it only the download procedure or the content differs too? I opted for the latter.

* Given that you have been using these for while now, how reliable/accurate are they?

Again, can't thank you enough mate Looks like I might have saved myself some bucks by avoiding buying a new device.
Welcome Mate.
Generic Routable (new Style) seems to have more details. But frankly I stick to the standard Routable map.
The main thing is OpenStreet maps are good in some regions and a bit sketchy in others. Remember that the map information is sourced from volunteers.

As an example, regions near Karnataka - Goa are well marked. Some main highways are not marked in Ramanad area. A couple of years earlier I was going by the ECR from velankanni to Rameswaram and found that OpenStreet showed the road in different color than the normal magenta - a sign that it does not know the route. BTW it will keep quiet when it is not sure.

Trust me - I have covered most of south India with this little Garmin. 99 % of the time it had guided me to my destination.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:17   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
It is the way Google Maps guide you. I have pointed out earlier that GM tells you like so : " Turn to Mannarkudi Kathavarayan road and proceed towards Dindigul Tindivanam NH" using anglicized Indian names. It is not intuitive to follow. Garmin tells you the bare essentials - " in 300 meters Turn Right".

Then there is a bit of technical issues with GM. It depends on the Phone's hardware to sense the GPS data. If the phone has no dedicated GPS chip, it needs the network to extrapolate the location.

The bottomline is if you are used to Garmin, nothing comes close.
Thanks for the explanation Prowler. I am not entirely convinced about the route guiding thing since GM also gives you the same guidance, although I agree the accent is quite indiscernible at times when it comes to Indian names.
I have no hands on experience with Garmin. Since you have the experience with both Garmin and GM, I will take your word for it.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:34   #3607
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

How does one get and Install the OpenStreet maps. Please guide me. So there is an option in addition to what Garmin dishes out.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:55   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
How does one get and Install the OpenStreet maps. Please guide me.
Please refer to this post from Prowler - detailed and super-helpful.
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:23   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Prowler. I am not entirely convinced about the route guiding thing since GM also gives you the same guidance, although I agree the accent is quite indiscernible at times when it comes to Indian names.
I have no hands on experience with Garmin. Since you have the experience with both Garmin and GM, I will take your word for it.
Thanks SCORPION
Another small tip: When I bought the Garmin I set it to female voice. In the car, especially for a car powered by diesel mill, a female voice will sound clearer against the growl of the engine. This is one of the reasons why most disemboweled mechanical voices are female. A male gruff voice will be drowned out in the background din.
Old 9th November 2018, 21:07   #3610

Folks contributing or interested in OpenStreetMap/Mapillary, please do come for the Asia community conference at IIM Bangalore next week Nov 17-18: http://stateofthemap.asia/

This is a great place to meet the whole community of open source/open data folks and mappers in India and the region. Its a completely volunteer run event so it wont any of the usual commercial fluff and will focus on projects and ideas from around the region.

Don't know what is OpenStreetMap? Its a free and editable map of the world which has become the largest open map database in the world. Its a completely volunteer run project like Wikipedia and is now seen as a serious alternative to Google Maps and is being used by Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Telenav and many other large orgs. Those wanting to try it out on their phone can use the offline map app maps.me.

Have been contributing to the India map for over 10 years, feel free to ask my an OSM questions
Old 9th November 2018, 23:12   #3611
Distinguished - BHPian

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I used open streets on my Garmin Etrex whenever I went touring around on my Royal Enfield bullet. Worked really well. Thank you for your contributions, much appreciated!

Here in the Netherlands the Openstreet is just incredible in detail. Every little backway, alley is captured. In fact it was so detailed it became useless for my Etrex. It could not plan a route over 10-20km as it just would run out of puff with all the various alternatives it had to calculate. Had to resort to commercial Garmin bicycle maps.

Jeroen
Old 10th November 2018, 09:15   #3612
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

With Garmin vanishing from India, even though their GPS units are the best. Then is the way Garmin plus OpenStreet. or there are some other options. My own Garmin is approaching eight years, so might consider replacing it. It has 'lost' a few rows as well.
Old 10th November 2018, 23:39   #3613
Team-BHP Support

Garmin maps are still available online for India. One needs to buy them from .com or .uk sites. Look for City Navigator South Asia.
Old 11th November 2018, 01:54   #3614

For those curious what is the coverage/density of OSM data in India, posted a few visualizations on twitter.

Old 11th November 2018, 10:26   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Don't know what is OpenStreetMap?
This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Wasn't aware of OSM! Very good details indeed. Have signed up and hope to make some contributions in due course - I am big fan of opensource software and hardware.

Most Viewed