Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:03   #2851
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Quick query to users using these Navigators, Say if I get one of these basic models.
9.9k model of a MapmyIndia Navigator
http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/vx140s-buy-and-review

How does it compare with Google Maps : Navigator on a smartphone ?
Currently I do use Google maps with voice navigation when required.

Do you have any opinion on which scores better on the following points ?
i.e. Google Maps on Smartphone Vs Mapmy India Navigator
[*]Navigation layout and real-time position accuracy.[*]Identifying an Address after keying in on the device.[*]Accuracy of local roads.[*]No signal / No range problems in remote areas (Ghat roads etc...)Thanks
Fillmore
You will save battery on your smartphone.
All the benefits you told can be had by buying the mapmyindia app for your phone.
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:29   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
... Do you have any opinion on which scores better on the following points ?
i.e. Google Maps on Smartphone Vs Mapmy India Navigator ...
* Navigation layout and real-time position accuracy: Navigation layout - same, since both should show the immediate vicinity. Real time position accuracy: generally the dedicated units, since they have a better GPS resolver

* Identifying an Address after keying in on the device: Neither (in India), or at best Google (patchy address resolution). Address resolution in India will take a long time to improve. Currently all the map databases are in a sorry state what with spelling mistakes / variants, and a complicated address system in most places.

Sometimes what you need *may* be there in the map data, except it is recorded in a way you can access since you don't know. For example, "1st Cross" appearing as "1 Cross" or "1stCross" or even "1st Cr" - not much we can do if there is no uniformity in India!

Thank God we are not like Japan, where 'Building Number's are not contiguous - they appear in the sequence that people had applied for sanction for building their building. Ditto 'Block' number. Imagine the situation where 26 is 1Km away from 27 (I have faced this is a couple of times). One has to look at their maps with a magnifying glass - at least their map data is ultra-accurate, unlike India.

* Accuracy of local roads: If you mean current location v/s 'existence of road in map' v/s road name, it is not bad in either.

The bugbear is wrong name / wrong spelling / slightly different spelling of road names in the map (same problem as address resolution). Google has no road names against many smaller roads. Garmin (Navteq) is perhaps the best, followed by MMI. This has to do with the mapping companies QA on the data contained in the maps, not device A v/s device B.

* No signal / No range problems in remote areas (Ghat roads etc...): Dedicated units, no doubt. Google will falter when there is no / weak cellular signal, and can't retrieve map tiles. Any device / application that relies on stored maps will perform better, limited to satellite visibility (reduces in rains and when there is thick tree cover)

Whenever new versions of maps are to be released, all map companies prioritize 'existence of road in map' over spellings and errors. This is because that is the easiest to check - against satellite images!

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd January 2013 at 14:37.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:23   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I am looking for a basic GPS for my mom to travel around the streets of delhi (my folks just shifted there). It should be simple to use and should do the job well. I have no idea about GPS systems since I have been using my Phone since the last 2 years.

Cost range 5-8k. Suggestions
What would be the duration of usage? Will device be connected to a power source?
If your mom is going to have a power source then it is fine, else by default most GPS units will not last beyond 3 yours (at least in that price range).
So, you also need to carry a battery pack (which will cost you an additional Rs. 850-1200 depending on brand and mAh rating.)

You could give her a smart phone and use an external battery pack connected to it. Should give you 6 hours of continuous GPS + maps.

If she is going to drive a car, then you have more options.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:44   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
... else by default most GPS units will not last beyond 3 yours (at least in that price range). ...
They are meant to be connected to the supplied charger that plugs into the cig lighter socket if one is driving longer than 3 hours, like on highways. Different matter that a few cars don't have CL sockets.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:08   #2855
BANNED

I am a non-smoker but have always added a lighter if the car did not have one - reason Tyre Pump, Light, etc. They are inexpensive and most cars are wired for them today, even if one is not physically present. I guess sockets alone (without the lighter) should also be available now.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:27   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They are inexpensive and most cars are wired for them today, even if one is not physically present. I guess sockets alone (without the lighter) should also be available now.
Yes, i have Alto that did not come with lighter socket. Adding one costs just 4 - 600 Rs.
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:56   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Yes, i have Alto that did not come with lighter socket. Adding one costs just 4 - 600 Rs.
It should not cost over 250 bucks.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:19   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mapmyindia Navigator! Best little compact, inexpensive GPS machine going.
I suppose you mean the Mapmyindia RoadPilot II?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What would be the duration of usage? Will device be connected to a power source?
If your mom is going to have a power source then it is fine, else by default most GPS units will not last beyond 3 yours (at least in that price range).
So, you also need to carry a battery pack (which will cost you an additional Rs. 850-1200 depending on brand and mAh rating.)

You could give her a smart phone and use an external battery pack connected to it. Should give you 6 hours of continuous GPS + maps.

If she is going to drive a car, then you have more options.
Oh, wat I meant was, she needs a GPS for roaming the streets while driving. She doesnt want to use her smart phone, and she prefers buying a dedicated GPS unit with a budget of 5-8k
Old 4th January 2013, 06:30   #2859
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

I suppose you mean the Mapmyindia RoadPilot II?

Oh, wat I meant was, she needs a GPS for roaming the streets while driving. She doesnt want to use her smart phone, and she prefers buying a dedicated GPS unit with a budget of 5-8k
Yes the road pilot. Cheap, cheerful, effective!
Much easier than using the smartphone. For one thing, mounting the phone is a pain if you dont have those fiddly stand. The phone really gets very hot while in use as a GPS. Then you have the issue of battery drain which means it has to be on charge always. Most irritating.
Old 9th January 2013, 20:25   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Garmin CN India 2012.40 downloaded, did the 2012.30 version support JCV and SID ? this version is about 680MB and the maps are 455MB with detailed view for almost all North, West and Southern cities in India with JCV and SID, I now have a reason to upgrade my device. Using the maps for just a day and till now the overall feel is that its more well laid out though I earlier had the 2011.20 version and this does feel like a sea of difference.

Linky to download the lastest 2012.40 from Garmin server.

I'm still using Mapsource but BaseCamp has many more options and feels more user friendly. Also I dont know why but I always feel MapMyIndia maps are more accurate than Garmin, hope its just a case of grass being greener on the other side.
Awesome information. Thanks it works seamlessly on my nuvi 215w (only the map )

The new bridge near koreagaon park, Pune is also listed
Old 11th January 2013, 07:21   #2861
BHPian

Guys, could you suggest which is the best available dedicated GPS device that I can buy for my car? I would prefer if any device has Google Navigation since I have been using it on my Galaxy Nexus and it is truly awesome! My XUV5OO has MapmyIndia but it is totally inaccurate.

My demands are that it should be as accurate as possible, compact and that I should be able to mount it on the windscreen using a suction.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:40   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
... which is the best available dedicated GPS device that I can buy for my car? I would prefer if any device has Google Navigation ... My XUV5OO has MapmyIndia but it is totally inaccurate. ...
What type of inaccuracies have you observed, and where? Is the inaccuracy to do with the car's position w.r.t. actual surroundings (GPS unit problem)? Or is it that road names are wrong wherever you are (bad map)?

AFAIK there are no dedicated GPS devices that use Google Maps, since they would require an always-on Internet connection. That would mean you have to use something that uses a 3G connection, like a Tablet.

You could try out a Garmin unit, like 40LM, 50LM, 2465LM or 2565LM.
Old 11th January 2013, 22:54   #2863
BHPian

Users not happy with on-board GPS - http://www.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-5756...h-onboard-gps/
Old 14th January 2013, 10:31   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
The 5 license benefit is also available for google play. Here are the queries/feedback I had communicated on Sygic support just couple of days before :

My query:
The link http://help.sygic.com/entries/221070...-sygic-license mentions that "using in-app purchase:*" is "*Temporarily unavailable".
I need Sygic mapmyindia version " Sygic & MapmyIndia" from Google play store.
Can I buy it using Google play store or should it be bought from http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now only?
Response: You can pick whatever option you want, they're same and functional (thread mentioned via link doesn't have influence on MMI package. Please note, in case you'd like to upgrade to other regions like Europe, I'd recommend purchase from our e-shop.

My query : Will I be able to use the license on multiple (5) android devices if I buy from google play? Will the license be tied to google id in that case (Will I have to login using same user id on all devices)?
Response: YES

My feedback : Note that I have read the support section and have received little information about "Sygic & MapmyIndia" app. The app is not even listed as a edition http://help.sygic.com/entries/221298...-are-available.
Response: We'll adjust support section to include also MMI version.
Yesterday, i purchased Sygic Mapmyindia app from play store. after 1 hour, struggling to activate the app i sent an email to developers that i am not able to activate it through play store.
i got the response that currently they have problem of activation through play store and i got my money back.
http://help.sygic.com/entries/22206807

when i go to their online eshop, it gives me option to pay 19.99 € (only in euro).
i am sure it will come with tomtom maps. i want mapmyindia maps.
any solution?

Last edited by Nicky : 14th January 2013 at 10:36.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:54   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
when i go to their online eshop, it gives me option to pay 19.99 € (only in euro).
i am sure it will come with tomtom maps. i want mapmyindia maps.
any solution?
I had purchased from their online eshop. But I have mapmyindia maps and it's working very well. this was two years ago so don't know if they changed their provider for India maps for new purchases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks