Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:01   #2791
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

is it possible to change the voice in google navigation?
if yes then how?
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:48   #2792
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Today, I bought Sygic Maps from sygic.com for 1473. Sygic + MMI are available in playstore for 1375. I paid 100 extra to get that 5 license benefit.
The 5 license benefit is also available for google play. Here are the queries/feedback I had communicated on Sygic support just couple of days before :

My query:
The link http://help.sygic.com/entries/221070...-sygic-license mentions that "using in-app purchase:*" is "*Temporarily unavailable".
I need Sygic mapmyindia version " Sygic & MapmyIndia" from Google play store.
Can I buy it using Google play store or should it be bought from http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now only?
Response: You can pick whatever option you want, they're same and functional (thread mentioned via link doesn't have influence on MMI package. Please note, in case you'd like to upgrade to other regions like Europe, I'd recommend purchase from our e-shop.

My query : Will I be able to use the license on multiple (5) android devices if I buy from google play? Will the license be tied to google id in that case (Will I have to login using same user id on all devices)?
Response: YES

My feedback : Note that I have read the support section and have received little information about "Sygic & MapmyIndia" app. The app is not even listed as a edition http://help.sygic.com/entries/221298...-are-available.
Response: We'll adjust support section to include also MMI version.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:20   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Response: We'll adjust support section to include also MMI version.
They have added that now. But it is not clear if the 5 device license is applicable.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:03   #2794
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
My query : Will I be able to use the license on multiple (5) android devices if I buy from google play? Will the license be tied to google id in that case (Will I have to login using same user id on all devices)?
Response: YES
Oops. 100 bucks gone. Never mind, probably penalty for using their app free for extended period. Thanks for clarifying. When buying from Sygic, it was mentioned that the license is linked with email id.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:38   #2795
BHPian

Okay, so I'm planning on buying a car GPS for my sister who stays in Bangalore.
What would you recommend? The basic requirements would be:
- Decent battery life (Above 6 hours preferably)
- Good touch quality/ sensitivity
- A large enough screen
- Small mount so that visibility isn't too badly obstructed

Also, supposing I buy a Garmin, would I have to purchase maps separately from some other company, or does Garmin provide me with the maps?
I use a Garmin Edge 500 when I'm cycling and that just shows me the route I've done. No names et al.
Budget would be less than 20k.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:49   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Why this requirement? The device will always be charging using the cigarette lighter socket.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:51   #2797
BANNED

Received an email from Sygic. They are running Christmas sale i.e. Buy 1 Get 1 license. http://www.sygic.com/en/android. Looks to be a great deal. But I have bought the license anyways.
Old 12th December 2012, 23:27   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, supposing I buy a Garmin, would I have to purchase maps separately from some other company, or does Garmin provide me with the maps?
I use a Garmin Edge 500 when I'm cycling and that just shows me the route I've done. No names et al.
Garmin seems to the best choice for these requirements. It comes with India maps, and I think device cost includes map updates for 2 - 3 years in India. Maps are updated 4 times every year.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:15   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so I'm planning on buying a car GPS for my sister who stays in Bangalore.
What would you recommend? The basic requirements would be:
- Good touch quality/ sensitivity
- A large enough screen
- Small mount so that visibility isn't too badly obstructed

Almost the same query. I am also planning to buy Navigator under Rs20K. Friends, can you please suggest which one should I go for.
  1. Garmin Nuvi 50LM
  2. Garmin Nuvi 2565LM
  3. Garmin Nuvi 2465LM
  4. MMI Zx250
  5. Mireo DON'T PANIC MapMyIndia for iPhone 5
  6. Sygic MMI maps for iPhone 5

Are the phone apps are subscription based? Also the reception quality and house level maps available on all these devices?

Last edited by coolbareilly : 13th December 2012 at 11:19. Reason: forgot to add one more query
Old 13th December 2012, 11:34   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
which one should I go for.
  1. Garmin Nuvi 2465LM
  2. Sygic MMI maps for iPhone 5
You can go for these two:

Garmin Nuvi 2465LM
Sygic MMI maps for iPhone 5

I am biased towards Nuvi because of very simple and uncluttered "Gets things done" interface. It would cost approx 15k.

None of these two are subscription based, no cost beyond initial purchase.

If you already have iPhone, Sygic would be cheaper at just around 2k.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:15   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why this requirement? The device will always be charging using the cigarette lighter socket.
In the car she has, the cigarette lighter doesn't work and I don't see her getting it repaired in the near future!
Old 13th December 2012, 23:13   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the car she has, the cigarette lighter doesn't work and I don't see her getting it repaired in the near future!

Then you should first get it repaired before gifting the GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you already have iPhone, Sygic would be cheaper at just around 2k.
Why just the iPhone? Sygic is available for Android too and has some good offers running. Someone has already posted the details few posts before.

Last edited by Jaguar : 13th December 2012 at 23:16.
Old 17th December 2012, 08:45   #2803
BHPian

This may be old news or repeat for some but posting it to share my first experience.

Google maps for iOS is now available with voice activated navigation. It is only available in the iPhone version currently (which works on the iPad too but with the iPhone screen). I had never felt a need for GPS with the earlier Google maps (without navigation) on iOS and was ballistic when Apple replaced it with Apple maps. Anyway, this more than makes up for that gaffe. I had bought Sygic since I needed a decent maps option on my iOS devices.

I gave the app a test run over the weekend and want to share my observations.
- Provides multiple route options and also highlights traffic situation (you have to turn it on). In comparison, Sygic provides only 1 route option
- Very quick rerouting when you decide to deviate. Only on one occasion it did try to send me back to its original route but even then it quickly realized that I am deviating on purpose and rerouted me (Sygic gets confused at times and becomes a pain)
- Crisp and clear voice directions (you've to excuse the accent) but it sometimes wants you to figure out the distances (e.g. It'll sat "Right after 1000 feet" and that is it. No reminders at 500 ft, 300 ft etc. most of the times. Sygic is better at this
- Not still sure if the routes it suggests are the most optimum
- Sucks battery big time (phone dropped charge from 80% to 40%) and also the phone (4S) got very hot. So this is definitely suspect for long drives. Not sure if an eventual iPad version would be better on the battery
- Not too many settings or I've not figured out how to (e.g. Setting distances in KM, Map orientation etc.). Sygic has tonnes of settings.

Net net, great use within city. On long drives I would still prefer Sygic. I am planning a long drive to Bekal on 25th and will run both to have a head on comparison.

Please share yours as well. Thanks.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:55   #2804
Senior - BHPian

The best option is to connect GPS device through Bluetooth to your phone. I have an old GPS Bluetooth device called G-Space, it has a battery life of 10-12 hours and its size is like matchbox. This is especially useful when you are travelling outside your car with no place to charge like AutoRikshaw or some cab or by walk. I have seen most phone gets drained of battery within 1 hour if you use GPS. So here you just use bluetooth and it can go on for 10-12 hours!
Old 18th December 2012, 12:52   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
The best option is to connect GPS device through Bluetooth to your phone. I have an old GPS Bluetooth device called G-Space, it has a battery life of 10-12 hours and its size is like matchbox. This is especially useful when you are travelling outside your car with no place to charge like AutoRikshaw or some cab or by walk. I have seen most phone gets drained of battery within 1 hour if you use GPS. So here you just use bluetooth and it can go on for 10-12 hours!
But will Bluetooth itself drain the phone battery fast?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks