Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 13:20   #2806
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim

But will Bluetooth itself drain the phone battery fast?
But at a much lower rate than GPS
Old 18th December 2012, 13:26   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
But will Bluetooth itself drain the phone battery fast?
Not really, Bluetooth take Very less battery compared to GPS.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:45   #2808
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
This is especially useful when you are travelling outside your car with no place to charge like AutoRikshaw or some cab or by walk. I have seen most phone gets drained of battery within 1 hour if you use GPS. So here you just use bluetooth and it can go on for 10-12 hours!
There are other advantages also to use this way. Usually the GPS reception of such devices are much better that the antenna provided in your phone. You would get a faster lock as well. The other advantage is that since GPS works best when you have a line of sight with the satellites, you can leave this receiver on the dash of the car while the phone can be near you and bluetooth will still maintain contact within 10 meters of the receiver.

I use a Holux M-1000c which I bought from ebay few years back.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:21   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
There are other advantages also to use this way. Usually the GPS reception of such devices are much better that the antenna provided in your phone. You would get a faster lock as well. The other advantage is that since GPS works best when you have a line of sight with the satellites, you can leave this receiver on the dash of the car while the phone can be near you and bluetooth will still maintain contact within 10 meters of the receiver.

I use a Holux M-1000c which I bought from ebay few years back.
I thought of reselling my GPS device after i got cell phone with GPS, but soon realized GPS in cellphone is good for quick 10 mins lookup if its not on charger, that too loosing 50% of battery within those 10 mins Now just carry this GPS receiver especially when in other cities where i would be traveling in Cab or Autos..
Old 21st December 2012, 19:38   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Received an email from Sygic. They are running Christmas sale i.e. Buy 1 Get 1 license. http://www.sygic.com/en/android. Looks to be a great deal. But I have bought the license anyways.
Anyone interested in buying this with me. Instead of gifting the free license to a friend, why not buy along with one and share the money
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:18   #2811
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Two of my teammates bought the sygic license by sharing the amount. It's great value for money IMO.
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:21   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Two of my teammates bought the sygic license by sharing the amount. It's great value for money IMO.
If you really think about it even without this offer 5 devices/friends can share the price. With this offer it is 10.
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:44   #2813
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
If you really think about it even without this offer 5 devices/friends can share the price. With this offer it is 10.
Agreed. But a license is associated with your gmail id. So it was valid for only one gmail id. Now one with get two difference license codes with two different gmail id.
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:05   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. But a license is associated with your gmail id. So it was valid for only one gmail id. Now one with get two difference license codes with two different gmail id.
If you buy from sygic.com gamil id is not even required. You have to enter the product code in the device and thats it.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:13   #2815
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
If you buy from sygic.com gamil id is not even required. You have to enter the product code in the device and thats it.
Well, I bought from sygic.com only. And they did ask for my gmail id. And a message was popped up saying the license would be associated with the id I am going to provide. I must be missing something if that's not the case.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:26   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Could anybody tell me if we could use MMI maps on a PC or Is there a PC (I want it for my car-pc )version of it available? Any review on the Satguide maps?
Old 24th December 2012, 13:31   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... MMI maps on a PC or Is there a PC (I want it for my car-pc )version of it available? Any review on the Satguide maps?
I have used MMI maps (Garmin format) with Garmin PC (Garmin's PC version). Not heard of any other Navigation software on a PC that would use the MMI maps.

Satguide - cheap, and commensurate value! Can't appreciate their PoI database which looks like a copy of Google Earth's public database for India. I looked at it in 2011, and I expect nothing has changed. You know that as soon as you see hundreds of "My home" listed in various cities. Both MMI and Navteq databases have addresses recorded in a way that it beats any search, but SatGuide's is plain hilarious.
Old 24th December 2012, 15:49   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could anybody tell me if we could use MMI maps on a PC or Is there a PC (I want it for my car-pc )version of it available?
http://www.sygic.com/en/business:buy-now

You can purchase Sygic for Windows with India maps. It would cost around 3k. It works on Win 7.
Old 24th December 2012, 21:57   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I have used MMI maps (Garmin format) with Garmin PC (Garmin's PC version). Not heard of any other Navigation software on
I think that it is a discontinued product, do they still provide a PC edition of the navigation software?

Which maps + GPS are you using as of now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
http://www.sygic.com/en/business:buy-now

You can purchase Sygic for Windows with India maps. It would cost around 3k. It works on Win 7.
Thanks, but I donot find there maps for India in PC format can you guide me to that link? The link you suggested does'nt contains India maps for PC.
Old 25th December 2012, 08:02   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I donot find there maps for India in PC format can you guide me to that link? The link you suggested does'nt contains India maps for PC.
You need to call them to get a quote. Since PC based bav a niche area now, sales is mostly manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks