Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 11:21   #2836
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Garmin CN India 2012.40 downloaded,
Linky to download the lastest 2012.40 from Garmin server.
Thanks for the link. I am downloading it as a 694MB exe file.

The sarkari link still wants to .tw site which is not available. Also, how did you chance on this link?

What next - run it and then let it do its thing!
Old 27th December 2012, 11:58   #2837
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Got the file. Executed it. It gave some message in Chinese and opened the setup window. Then asked me to remove the uSD card. Then went into Checking and came up with a Request Error. The same happened with or without a proxy connecting and also with mygarmin connected or not. What next, please advise. Task manager was showing that the 2012.40 update was in progress, so seems to be the right track. I have the Nuvi 2465LM.

Got the .tw site working so an downloading again. Got the unlock code alright.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th December 2012 at 12:09.
Old 27th December 2012, 14:16   #2838
BANNED

Finally managed. Some takeaways:

1. Will not work through a proxy. I have my IE set up for proxy and set up FF without. Still no luck. FF was connected. Then I changed the IE settings with No Proxy (full off, autodetect does not work). It was obviously picking up the settings from IE even though FF is my default browser.

2. Just a reminder - remove the uSD card. Fortunately it asks for this.

3. The first display is in Chinese (Mandarin?). Use logic to proceed.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:50   #2839
BHPian

got the Nuvi2465LM
Cost 15,900/- from Aerial Solutions in Andheri.
And I managed to arrange a quick swap of my sister's cars socket. (It was a gift to her)
She's happy using it and its pretty damn user friendly.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:14   #2840
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nariyani View Post
Guys, need your inputs here.
I plan to buy MapmyIndia GPS Navigation for my Duster RXL 110PS.
.[*]Is Reliance Autozone (Gurgaon) quoting me the right price?
There is an offer in Snapdeal where in the ZX250 is available for 14,990/- (15,990/- minus 1,000/- flat off on using a promo code listed)

Garmin nuvi 2465LM is available for 13,490/- (14,490/- minus 1,000)

Do check them out.

Last edited by jayded : 27th December 2012 at 17:16.
Old 27th December 2012, 19:50   #2841
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Garmin nuvi 2465LM is available for 13,490/- (14,490/- minus 1,000)
I hope it is the India specific version, else LM applies to some other land. Can you post the full url?
Old 27th December 2012, 20:22   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hope it is the India specific version, else LM applies to some other land. Can you post the full url?
Since it's Snapdeal, I would guess it's the Indian version itself. Here is the link to the site. The promo code is also provided on the page. 2565LM is also available. LM in the product code corresponds to "Lifetime Maps"

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/garm...5lm--43/297434

Last edited by jayded : 27th December 2012 at 20:24.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:06   #2843
BANNED

@jayded; Yes, does look like the India specific one - Indian English, Hindi etc.
Old 30th December 2012, 16:04   #2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Just unboxed this last evening. Of course this is not for navigating while on the roads but to just create a map of where I had gone after a trip. Very basic.
eTrex 10
Hi Sudipto-S-Team, could you tell me where you bought the etrex 10 from? I've heard it has a good precision and fast locking, how do you find its performance? I'm planning to buy etrex 20 (for a friend who is going to a remote location)
Old 31st December 2012, 00:16   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mitravisaya - I got a friend to bring it for me from Canada. Its satellite capture is certainly very good compared to my previous Foretrex 101 which would lose sat connection rather easily - even under a flyover. I bought the 10 because I wanted a very bare bone, basic, map-less receiver. 20 has mapping abilities. But I think people who have used the 20 say go for 30 - no idea. Do check out the reviews.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 31st December 2012 at 00:18.
Old 1st January 2013, 17:33   #2846
BHPian

I am looking for a basic GPS for my mom to travel around the streets of delhi (my folks just shifted there). It should be simple to use and should do the job well. I have no idea about GPS systems since I have been using my Phone since the last 2 years.

Cost range 5-8k. Suggestions
Old 1st January 2013, 19:39   #2847
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I am looking for a basic GPS for my mom to travel around the streets of delhi (my folks just shifted there). It should be simple to use and should do the job well. I have no idea about GPS systems since I have been using my Phone since the last 2 years.

Cost range 5-8k. Suggestions
Mapmyindia Navigator! Best little compact, inexpensive GPS machine going.
Old 1st January 2013, 20:57   #2848
BHPian

Hi Have been using the Garmin 50 LM for over a month. Please find some of my observations.

Ordered the same from snapdeal for approx 9 K. The delivery process was preety smooth. Unfortunately tthe deivice did not have the India maps loaded on the same. Complained to the local Garmin distributor who took the device for a day and returned it without having any solution.

Contacted the shop in Delhi who had shipped the device . Luckily they agreed to take it back and exchange the same.

Got a new device now with the India map version 30 loaded on the same and have been using the same for a month

The overall experience has been a bit mixed. Was travelling to amdavad and the device was not able to get results by the house search. The best way to get the most of this device is to find out the gps cordinates of the place you are going to or do a google search and find the name of the roads nearby your destination and do a search for the same. you can also find out what is the place of interest nearby your destination.

Once you have saved certain address in your device then its becomes very easy. You can get the gps fix on your destination once you have reched there by touching the signal bar and save that for use when you want to intra city travelling in the other city.

The telephone function seems to be useless. entered the country code /std code /phone number of various poi but could not get a even one hit

A recent example over the new year weekend.

Destination
Courtyard Pune City Centre

C.TS. No. 37 & 37/1, Bund Garden Road · Pune, Maharashtra, 411001 India

Feedback
Could not find the same either through POI or through the address ect.

Ultimately googled the same and found a Wadia hospital next to the hotel. Got a hit on the same on the device and we reached the place.

So net net once you have found your destination on the device its a breeze but finding the destination takes some pre work sometimes.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:36   #2849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
So net net once you have found your destination on the device its a breeze but finding the destination takes some pre work sometimes.
Some how none of these map makers or HW makers give a seamless integrated H/W S/W solution. For instance, if you needed to go to
"Courtyard Pune City Centre", at home you open a PC search for this in the same map which is installed on your device through a S/W and
once you know which route to take, you just transfer that info into the device and ask it to follow that route. Unfortunately this is not possible
in many set-ups. This approach is very helpful in planning long trips where you perform route planning on a PC and transfer that info into the device.
The premise/basis for this to work is that the underlying map and the routing algorithm between the trip planning S/W and the device are congruent.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2013 at 22:37.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:38   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mapmyindia Navigator! Best little compact, inexpensive GPS machine going.
Quick query to users using these Navigators, Say if I get one of these basic models.
9.9k model of a MapmyIndia Navigator
http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/vx140s-buy-and-review

How does it compare with Google Maps : Navigator on a smartphone ?
Currently I do use Google maps with voice navigation when required.

Do you have any opinion on which scores better on the following points ?
i.e. Google Maps on Smartphone Vs Mapmy India Navigator
  1. Navigation layout and real-time position accuracy.
  2. Identifying an Address after keying in on the device.
  3. Accuracy of local roads.
  4. No signal / No range problems in remote areas (Ghat roads etc...)
Thanks
Fillmore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks