Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 22:07   #2911
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just came across an offer for Garmin Nuvi 215 with MMI 7.1 maps preloaded.
Price: Rs. 7500.

I think it is a good deal, considering maps are included.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/garm...nner_Car%20GPS

Have fun navigating.
That's encouraging. Few questions though,

1. Does the device also come with pre-loaded garmin maps (alongside the MMI maps) that can be updated (like the LM series) free of cost?

2. How is the battery backup?

3. Can it be connected to a reversing camera?

4. Can the route be planned while the device is disconnected (say on a computer and then transferred on to the device)?

If anyone has bought this specific model (pre-loaded with MMI maps) , could I request to post a review. That'd be a great help.

Cheers !
Old 18th March 2013, 19:38   #2912
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
That's encouraging. Few questions though,

1. Does the device also come with pre-loaded garmin maps (alongside the MMI maps) that can be updated (like the LM series) free of cost?

2. How is the battery backup?

3. Can it be connected to a reversing camera?

4. Can the route be planned while the device is disconnected (say on a computer and then transferred on to the device)?

If anyone has bought this specific model (pre-loaded with MMI maps) , could I request to post a review. That'd be a great help.

Cheers !
This genuinely sounds like an awesome deal. Would be great if somoeone can post a review.

I already have a Nuvi and I am sick of Garmin maps (in Bangalore it always takes me through the most busiest streets!). I was planning to buy just the maps, but I think I will spend the extra 2K and buy the full unit. My plan is to copy these maps and use it on my existing Nuvi (and gift it to my sister). Does it work?
Old 18th March 2013, 20:31   #2913
Senior - BHPian

I have Sony Ericsson X10i upgraded to 2.3.3.
I want Free Offline Maps for the same. because I don't want to invest in buying Paid Offline Maps currently (Might be with a New Phone).
Is there anything available for me? I have searched android market but nothing is available offline.
Old 18th March 2013, 20:51   #2914
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want Free Offline Maps for the same. because I don't want to invest in buying Paid Offline Maps currently (Might be with a New Phone).
Is there anything available for me? I have searched android market but nothing is available offline.
Looking for something illegal i suppose?
You can also try downloading the required maps in Google Maps for offline usage.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:56   #2915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
you can try OSMAnd or Navfree apps. But I'm not sure about their compatibility with 2.3.3
Old 19th March 2013, 10:16   #2916
BANNED

@Ironhide; to me it looks like a US version, so no LM in India. You will have to buy from MMI or Garmin ($100 a pop).
Old 19th March 2013, 17:06   #2917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Ironhide; to me it looks like a US version, so no LM in India. You will have to buy from MMI or Garmin ($100 a pop).
Doesn't matter if it is the US or the India version, one can always buy a map and use it on an SD card. If it is a US version, the base map (loaded with firmware, but replaceable) would be the US version. If there is enough ROM in there, one can load Garmin India map - otherwise on SD card.

In any case, as @sgiitk says, one has to buy the Garmin India map from Garmin to be eligible for updates.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:14   #2918
BANNED

@DerAlte; There are ways which cannot be discussed here for getting the maps. Yes, they have to be on the uSD/SD card, as was the case with my SatGuide map with its own uSD card in the old 265WT (now gone bad).

Incidentally, in a Garmin LM upgrade, the first thing they ask you to do is the remove the Card.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:23   #2919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... There are ways ...
Besides the point, since they are not eligible for updates - which was the part of the OP's question!

Quote:
... they have to be on the uSD/SD card ...
They can be in main storage if there is space. The maps just have to be in Garmin format, that's all.

Quote:
... Incidentally, in a Garmin LM upgrade, the first thing they ask you to do is the remove the Card.
What is "LM upgrade"?
Old 21st March 2013, 14:38   #2920
BANNED

Quote:
Besides the point, since they are not eligible for updates - which was the part of the OP's question!
The same way as you install in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is "LM upgrade"?
This is lifetime validity for free updates.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st March 2013 at 14:40.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:06   #2921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The same way as you install in the first place. ...
OT, but ... How do you think Garmin will give you a legal update for a map taken from 'other' sources? I don't think it is appropriate to discuss 'updates' from 'other sources' here - there are other forums for that. Let us not give up on our principles, shall we?
Old 21st March 2013, 15:20   #2922
BANNED

Quote:
OT, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss 'updates' from 'other sources' here - there are other forums for that. Let us not give up on our principles, shall we?
Agreed. This is why I did not give the URL or anything.

LM - Lifetime Maps

I had bought SatGuide for my 265WT. The update (major one is once a year) did not show up for over 18 months (there were some issues with their map compiler) so I went and got myself a 2465LM, since that was far better deal over time, than updates of a US sourced unit. Also, as we know the SatGuide maps are el cheapo and both Navteq and MMI are far better.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:25   #2923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... SatGuide maps are el cheapo ...
Heh heh Try reading the file with a text editor - their PoI 'database' makes amusing reading!
Old 21st March 2013, 16:01   #2924
BANNED

Quote:
Heh heh Try reading the file with a text editor - their PoI 'database' makes amusing reading!
I am afraid my 265WT was passed on to my son, and now it is kaput!! My maps were April 2010!

Things are funny. On my 2465LM NH is read out as New Hampshire!!! Any idea how to switch the thing to an Indian version!

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st March 2013 at 16:03.
Old 21st March 2013, 16:11   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Any idea how to switch the thing to an Indian version!
Ask Garmin to re-flash it with the India firmware. Or probably they can give you only the Voice files meant for India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks