Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 17:29   #2956
BHPian

Google maps now has 3D buildings in India:

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-forumrunner_20130417_172907.png
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:06   #2957
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Something bad happened! The service engineers stole my SD card from my MMI device and it can not navigate. I noticed it late.

How do I get a new map set please?
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:55   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
... How do I get a new map set please?
Call MMI. If you have genuine maps, they will give you a new set. Maybe they will charge you the cost of an SD card. Hope you have the invoice etc. to prove ownership.
Old 27th April 2013, 10:58   #2959
Team-BHP Support

Did you guys note:

Pricing for MMI maps for Garmin has come down a bit from 7K to 4.5K.

http://www.mapmyindia.com/store/maps...buy-and-review
Old 9th May 2013, 08:58   #2960
BHPian

I was initially tempted to buy new maps for my Garmin Nuvi either from MMI or from Garmin. I recently got an iPhone 5 and I feel that Google maps on that is great. It shows optimal route based on real time traffic information. Just feel that you do not need a GPS anymore!

I was always a fan of having a separate device. I feel that its old school way of thinking. The hardware, functionality and reliability have really matured to the extent that one single device offers equivalent capabilities of a good camera, navigator and phone. Any thoughts?
Old 9th May 2013, 22:53   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
I was initially tempted to buy new maps for my Garmin Nuvi either from MMI or from Garmin. I recently got an iPhone 5 and I feel that Google maps on that is great. It shows optimal route based on real time traffic information. Just feel that you do not need a GPS anymore!

I was always a fan of having a separate device. I feel that its old school way of thinking. The hardware, functionality and reliability have really matured to the extent that one single device offers equivalent capabilities of a good camera, navigator and phone. Any thoughts?
+1 to what you said!! I followed discussions about dedicated GPS devices all the time and was eagerly waiting to buy one. But recently I had been to quite many unknown places and hit the highways and used my Galaxy Ace (Google Maps) throughout the drives. It covered mostly all the places, was quick to identify the routes, rerouting was pretty quick too and the voice navigation was so awesome and precise that I did not even need to look at the screen most of the time. After all, GPRS is getting cheaper. The only issue is that the battery drained in just 3 hours from full charge. I do not know if this will affect the phone/ battery in the long run. And in a dedicated device, the screen would be bigger (high end smartphones address this issue) and seem more user-friendly. But for the time being, I'm not going to get a dedicated device until I find any issues with Google Maps and Navigation.

I've a doubt regarding Google Maps. In a couple of devices (MMI,etc) I've seen options to choose between the fastest route, the shortest route, etc. But I couldn't find any such options in Google Maps. Is there such a provision in it?
Old 10th May 2013, 08:30   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post

+1 to what you said!! I followed discussions about dedicated GPS devices all the time and was eagerly waiting to buy one. But recently I had been to quite many unknown places and hit the highways and used my Galaxy Ace (Google Maps) throughout the drives. It covered mostly all the places, was quick to identify the routes, rerouting was pretty quick too and the voice navigation was so awesome and precise that I did not even need to look at the screen most of the time. After all, GPRS is getting cheaper. The only issue is that the battery drained in just 3 hours from full charge. I do not know if this will affect the phone/ battery in the long run. And in a dedicated device, the screen would be bigger (high end smartphones address this issue) and seem more user-friendly. But for the time being, I'm not going to get a dedicated device until I find any issues with Google Maps and Navigation.

I've a doubt regarding Google Maps. In a couple of devices (MMI,etc) I've seen options to choose between the fastest route, the shortest route, etc. But I couldn't find any such options in Google Maps. Is there such a provision in it?
Google maps provides more options than just short and fast. Once you choose the destination it shows you as many options as there are with the time and distance. Best thing is that it shows everything based on current traffic situation.

Agree on the battery one. Especially using GPS and 3G is a killer combination for draining a battery. I am yet to purchase a car mount and a car charger for my iPhone 5. Just thinking between this investment and 4k for maps for my Garmin.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:00   #2963
BHPian

Hi,

Could somebody advice me about what Apple IOS App would be good to download and use OpenStreet Maps for India Offline, when there is no Internet.

I also need to create GPS Tracks during my travels. It will be good if I can do that too with the same app.

Can the Complete Openstreet Maps for India be downloaded on a PC and then uploaded to the Iphone / Ipad ?

Travelling to Leh and beyond, when there is no Internet Connectivity Offline Maps are the only ones that can be used.

Presently I use Sygic and XGPS on my Iphone. XGPS is a great app for a jailbroken phone. IT has a PC Software compmonet through which we can Download Google maps with the zoom levels we want and for the area we mark on a map, and then move them to the XGPS app on the iphone. It also has turn by turn voice assist.
I have the entire India google Maps for India, and North India, Goa in all zoom levels. It takes up about 2 GB of space.

Thanks in Advance
Styler

Last edited by Styler : 10th May 2013 at 10:01.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:28   #2964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Google maps provides more options than just short and fast. Once you choose the destination it shows you as many options as there are with the time and distance. Best thing is that it shows everything based on current traffic situation.
No doubts about the content aspect of Google maps. But many places on the highway, 3G is gone and GPRS is very slow, it becomes painful to wait.

As you said 3G is also battery draining. And I personally felt that the phone devices get really heated big time (this was my experience of half an hour driving within city with 3G on) So I do not want to stress the costly phone. Hence I still stick to the basic PND device.

But here is what I do :

- For all city related, its Google on phone. Never carry another device.
- Carry PND only for highways

Additional things you can do:

- Plan your routes before you leave. This can be done on a PC.
- If you use a Garmin with MMI/Satguide, you can use Garmin S/W like Mapsource/Basecamp on your PC/Mac to browse the map content on your device. (There are ways by which you can make these maps you buy, interface to PC Garmin S/W.
- Once done, you can seamlessly plan your routes on the PC and just transfer this information (either routes or set of waypoints) to the device.
- This interface can also make sure that the routing algorithm that you follow on the PC S/W is consistent with the PND device.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:59   #2965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi,

Could somebody advice me about what Apple IOS App would be good to download and use OpenStreet Maps for India Offline, when there is no Internet.

I also need to create GPS Tracks during my travels. It will be good if I can do that too with the same app.

Can the Complete Openstreet Maps for India be downloaded on a PC and then uploaded to the Iphone / Ipad ?

Travelling to Leh and beyond, when there is no Internet Connectivity Offline Maps are the only ones that can be used.

Presently I use Sygic and XGPS on my Iphone. XGPS is a great app for a jailbroken phone. IT has a PC Software compmonet through which we can Download Google maps with the zoom levels we want and for the area we mark on a map, and then move them to the XGPS app on the iphone. It also has turn by turn voice assist.
I have the entire India google Maps for India, and North India, Goa in all zoom levels. It takes up about 2 GB of space.

Thanks in Advance
Styler
The openstreetmap site has a wealth of information about IOS
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

For following GPS tracks(pre made), its best to use an offroad mapping app. This does not have turn by turn navigation abilities, but just shows your location on the map. As you move, it will move the map.
Navigation apps do turn by turn, but their ability to play around with GPX etc., is limited.
For example, on android I use oruxmaps for offroad, and then navfree or OsmAnd for turn by turn navigation.
Old 13th May 2013, 10:10   #2966
R_R
BHPian

I looking for some advice. I wanted to buy the MMI In-Dash system, specifically the OE-fit 2-Din system for my Grand Vitara. Here's the link to the system:

http://www.mapmyindia.com/in-dash-avn/oe-fit-2-din#

Has anyone installed this OE or even the universal system on any car?
Can we get some feedback on its quality, ease of use etc, or any major problems? How easy is it to install? Can any car accessory shop install it? The system costs Rs. 28K. So I don't want to take the plunge without getting some team-member feedback.

The reason I am looking at this instead of a separate GPS unit is because of the larger screen size (losing my sight!!) and also because it looks cleaner than a separate unit attached to the windscreen. So far I have generally used Google Maps on my phone but of course that requires connectivity.

Would greatly appreciate a response and guidance.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:36   #2967
Senior - BHPian

That is a very cheap quality Chinese made device. You will do better to buy one of the Kenwood or JVC 2 DIN head units that are compatible with MMI's black boxes. Better audio quality and complete access to MMI's data base the down side is that you will be buying for two devices. There is a link in the MMI web site that gives the model nos. of the head units compatible with their black boxes. My Cedia came factory fitted with a Kenwood HU + MMI black box combo, it works flawlessly and the SQ is great.

Here is a snap for your reference, the digital speedometer is also a function of the MMI device - GPS interface. The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-1dsc03128.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I looking for some advice. I wanted to buy the MMI In-Dash system, specifically the OE-fit 2-Din system for my Grand Vitara. Here's the link to the system:
Old 15th May 2013, 20:43   #2968
BHPian

Garmin have launched four new GPS device models in India, with improvements in a few features and specs:
http://www.garmin.co.in/products/ontheroad/

The prices range also seem to be a little on the lesser side w.r.t. earlier series (though need to see mrp for each model):
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20068815.cms
Old 24th May 2013, 18:48   #2969
BHPian

Hello Members,

Can one of you please direct me to a PND Device, that comes with a Friction Mount in the Sales Package?

Also, I don't have anyone flying / landing to / from abroad in the near future, so I would prefer to buy it in INR, be in online or through a shop.

Thanks!
Old 27th May 2013, 14:57   #2970
Team-BHP Support

I have been trying the new Google maps for some days. And I thought I was the only guy who could not locate multiple-destination feature. Looks like its a known issue. Need to use classic maps for the same.

http://support.google.com/maps/bin/a...r=3094119&rd=1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks