Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:07   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hey, Thanks again. Will download the above and hopefully all should fall in line.

BTW regarding the post count not increasing. Sometimes last year (or was it earlier this year) the mods decided that all threads apart from those related to "automotive" stuff do not add real value to the forum and hence posts made in such threads would not add to the count. It is for the same reason that the 'Thanks' button was removed from such threads that are assimilated under 'Shifting Gears'. Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
[NB: There's something wrong: my post count doesn't increase even as I write this..]
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:11   #3032
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
apart from those
Ah OK....indeed! I thought it was only the THANKS button, which was gone !

I took the jentro out for a spin: Its FAST....really fast, and I did a 1 to 1 against a dedicated unit, and the Jentro still receives where it fails, at times, in a typical urban canyon, inside the Indirapuram lanes..! A good deal I must say at 1.6k.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 2nd September 2013 at 21:15.
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:43   #3033
Team-BHP Support

When will Garmin or MMI maps catch up the Kunigal bypass? It is already 2 years old and newer maps are just not clued in. This is a national highway, for crying out loud. If they can't get this one included, what are they adding in every new update, new coffee shops?
Old 6th October 2013, 12:28   #3034
BHPian

Can you send me a gpx of that stretch from your actual drive. I will have it updated with these mappers in the next couple of weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When will Garmin or MMI maps catch up the Kunigal bypass? It is already 2 years old and newer maps are just not clued in. This is a national highway, for crying out loud. If they can't get this one included, what are they adding in every new update, new coffee shops?
Old 11th October 2013, 13:44   #3035
BANNED

Watch out if you are trying to get the coordinates from Google Maps, to feed in your GPS. The coordinates you are given are the middle of the map. Even after doing a Centre Map I still got a 30km error. So I think before getting the coordinates try and get the map on screen to the highest resolution before centring and then getting the coordinates.

I wasted two hours in Gurgaon yesterday due to the wrong coordinates from Google.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th October 2013 at 13:46.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:25   #3036
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Watch out if you are trying to get the coordinates from Google Maps, to feed in your GPS. The coordinates you are given are the middle of the map. Even after doing a Centre Map I still got a 30km error. So I think before getting the coordinates try and get the map on screen to the highest resolution before centring and then getting the coordinates.

I wasted two hours in Gurgaon yesterday due to the wrong coordinates from Google.
Google is not giving you wrong coordinates. If you want correct coordinates them drop lat long marker and copy coordinates. Always works
Old 11th October 2013, 15:35   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Google is not giving you wrong coordinates. If you want correct coordinates them drop lat long marker and copy coordinates. Always works
If one is on a browser, it is possible to Right Click with mouse pointer on the exact point (need not be centered on screen) and select "What's here" - it shows the Lat Long in the next screen.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:35   #3038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Could you please share how to drop the lat long marker?
In the earlier version of gmaps, I used to right click on the desires position and select 'what's here'. The lat long used to come up on the dialog box.
However, in the latest version, I can't find that option.
Old 11th October 2013, 16:27   #3039
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If one is on a browser, it is possible to Right Click with mouse pointer on the exact point (need not be centered on screen) and select "What's here" - it shows the Lat Long in the next screen.
This is what I did. Only the new avatar of gmaps is not that friendly, and gives out (supposedly) the coordinates of not the object but the centre of the displayed map. You can Google and confirm.
Old 11th October 2013, 19:35   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I did. ...
Sir, I was referring to maps.google.com page in a browser. I just confirmed the process again (using Chrome) -
* select a point away from center,
* right-click > What's here,
* take the resultant geo-coordinate,
* paste it in the search box of maps.google in another tab -
and it showed the location correctly!

I am not aware of old and new - I am just another old man!
Old 11th October 2013, 19:49   #3041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I am not aware of old and new - I am just another old man!
!

I think what he meant about the maps is that:

The process that you describe for the browser based google maps, is not possible on the new version of Google maps (again on a browser on a computer). I just tried the new version and am not able to right click to get the location of any arbitrary point.

In fact when the new maps were released they did not even have multi-point routing. This week they introduced that feature based on popular demand which was available on the older version.

In fact the same process that you described about right-click to get a location, is also my default usage. Even I felt handicapped without that feature on the new maps and switched to old version.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:01   #3042
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact the same process that you described about right-click to get a location, is also my default usage. Even I felt handicapped without that feature on the new maps and switched to old version.
How do you revert. Also, how to enable rotation of maps.

Sorry we are going OT. Please excuse.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:31   #3043
BHPian

Hi, I was in the same position as you a year back, Speedonline. I tried the various options including google maps on mobile and finally decided to go in for a basic standalone GPS unit of MMI. A gist of my experiences is as below.

a) The maps are pretty accurate and really helpful to get you confidently to 95% of your destination

b) the route in cities sometimes takes you through really narrow lanes if you are to follow the GPS blindly, have been in that situation a few times

c) Many of the maps do not contain info in fly overs and grade separators that have come up in the city, so at those points the GPS is not very reliable

d) It is far more relaxed a drive when you have the GPS on to guide you, if you were to miss a turn, you have the GPS recalculating and remapping the route for you in a jiffy.

e) I have been using the device quite frequently both in Bangalore city as well as on highways, have been confused a few times on the highways as well ( especially where elevated roads and flyovers are coming up, but now I go through the google maps for directions , before I ask for the GPS to navigate the route , I then plan my route and provide these as via points on the GPS, that way the navigation is much more predictable.

Personally , I have had my ROI on the GPS and prefer to have it as a standby on drives. Being not very versatile and comfortable with using mbile map applications on smart phones, this device suites me better
Old 11th October 2013, 20:34   #3044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How do you revert. Also, how to enable rotation of maps.

Sorry we are going OT. Please excuse.
Under the help and feedback menu on the top right, you have an option to revert to classic Google maps. That would give you the old version.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:17   #3045
BHPian

Just one quick question Garmin Nuvi 420 VS TOM TOM VIA 100 , which maps are better ?, sorry if I am skipping some posts here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks