Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 07:48   #2881
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I'm looking for an Android GPS app that allows you to create your own maps. There was one on Widows called smart maps. Basically, it tracked your route and saved it. This could include off road tracks. You could then save it and then retrace your path back. Do let me know if there's an app for Android devices.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:24   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm looking for an Android GPS app that allows you to create your own maps. There was one on Widows called smart maps. Basically, it tracked your route and saved it. This could include off road tracks. You could then save it and then retrace your path back. Do let me know if there's an app for Android devices.
'My Tracks' by google. You can record tracks, import them into google maps and use it to follow it again.

You can also export it to gpx or kml format to be used by many navigation software.

Last edited by manim : 19th January 2013 at 09:27.
Old 19th January 2013, 12:31   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could try Waze. It's a navigation app that relies on crowd-sourced real-time traffic and route/maps updates. It allows you to "pave" a road that exists physically but not on its maps. This should work well in your specific use case of being able to retrace your path.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th January 2013, 12:57   #2884
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
what maps version you have?
Sygic GPS Navigation Version 12.2.1.

But the maps does not have a version, when there is an update I download it through 'Manage Maps'.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:58   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Sygic GPS Navigation Version 12.2.1.

But the maps does not have a version, when there is an update I download it through 'Manage Maps'.
you can see maps version by going to "sdcard/sygic/maps" (use any file explorer for this). there you can find all folders starting like i01.mi.2012.06
these underlined characters are your maps version. in my case it's 2012.06
Old 21st January 2013, 09:14   #2886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
The Garmin software and its maps are great. I was using a Garmin nuvi unit in the US for nearly 3 years and was absolutely dependent on it. Even the Indian maps are equally good.
But in India, the MMI maps beat Garmin maps by a mile. We discovered it as our two Jeeps were travelling together, mine with MMI map and my friend with Garmin map. He was behind me and has a very sharp eye. He could constantly compare his map with my mine, and then told me that his didn't have half the roads shown in my road. Later I too tried different maps for the same stretch and found MMI to be lot more complete. I have two Garmin units, with both MMI and Garmin maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Which is the cheapest & reliable India map available for a Garmin unit? My friend plans to get a Garmin unit from the US. Satguide which was selling for 990 bucks is going for 2000+ now :(
You can have reliable or cheap, pick one.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:33   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
in my case it's 2012.06
Yes, it is the same for me.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:40   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use "GPS Essentials" App regularly, for charting out my Off-Road trails. It allows export to GPX and KML formats, and allows you to overlay the recorded trail on Google Maps. It has a few other features that I find quite useful. Go check it out. Best part is it is Free.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:56   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonline View Post
Hey,

I was planning to purchase a stand alone GPS Unit and was wondering, you guys could help me rate Satnav and Mapmyindia on the following:
  • Device Build Quality
  • Battery Life
  • Software Ease of Use
  • Map Details (Point of Interests, Map Accuracy, By-lanes, etc)
  • Back-End Support
  • Map Updates
  • Value for Money
Currently i am using a bluetooth receiver with my Touch and Mapking. The budget is around 25K.
I use mapmyIndia software on a Garmin.
The software is quite good and complete. MAp updates are provided through email messages. It is value for money.

I have no experience about the hardware!
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:53   #2890
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.

OT. Why is it that some threads don't have a thank you button? I searched the forum for this question, but can't find an answer.
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:58   #2891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
I use mapmyIndia software on a Garmin.
The software is quite good and complete.
I don't think you can do that. You are using Garmin Hardware and Garmin Software, with mapmyindia map. The software is quite good and complete, because it is from Garmin, the #1 GPS software provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
I have no experience about the hardware!
You are using Garmin hardware and don't have experience about it?
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:04   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
OT. Why is it that some threads don't have a thank you button? I searched the forum for this question, but can't find an answer.
This is the reason..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...ml#post2716370
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:04   #2893
J.Ravi

MMI v7.1 Maps

Last month, I successfully updated the maps of my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator to the new version 7.1. As usual, MapMyIndia did not bother to inform me of the latest version. I used to visit their website every now and then to know about the release of new version. Yesterday, I saw the new version of the maps here. Another thing I noticed was, when I logged in to my account, my registered device details were not there! I tried to re-register my device, but in vain. Immediately, I sent mail to the customer support of MapMyIndia raising these two issues. The very next day, I received the upgraded map files and licence files in two separate mails. But, they conveniently kept quiet about the vanishing of my registered device details from my account! I downloaded the files, unzipped them and replaced the old ones with the new ones. I also copied and pasted my favourites from the previous version and pasted in the MapMyIndia folder of the new version so that I can have them in the new maps. Otherwise, the favourites folder in the new version will be empty.

Some of the features I noticed in the new version: NH numbers are prominently visible even in the route overview mode. English UK [in addition to English US] has been introduced in the languages option. Of course, more number of cities and PoI have been added.

Old 23rd January 2013, 10:19   #2894
BANNED

Used my Garmin maps in the 2465 over the past few days - Kanpur - Gwalior and back (NH2 and NH92). Excellent on the highway, fuddled in town as expected. However, the maps were accurate. The GPS took far less time to lock than my old 265WT. Town details are also superb. One major grudge NH is spoken as New Hampshire (sic) - when will Garmin learn?
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:32   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One major grudge NH is spoken as New Hampshire (sic) - when will Garmin learn?
You can download voice for India English (called "Sangeeta" i think). that should not have this problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks