Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 16:17   #1381
BHPian

Zx150 Navigator - MMI

i finally got the GPS i had been eyeing for a long time last week.

The website gives good detail on the product, but the dealers phone numbers are not displayed; which means that you have to visit the dealer to find out that the product is not in stock.

luckily, for me the first dealer that i visited (Advaith Hyundai on Residency road) was good enough to give me the number of the sales guy of MMI who went out of his way to first find out that the product was only available with 1 dealer in all of bangalore, and then personally took me there (made the dealer wait until we reached there around 8.30 p.m) so that I could buy my last minute purchase before heading off to Mysore and Ooty for the long weekend.

Anyone who wants to buy MMI products can call Anish directly on 99161 61333.

Yes, i am enjoying the GPS; it failed me only once when guiding me to a hotel and said 'destination reached' in the middle of nowhere. From there on I was guided the old fashioned way - asking for directions from passers-by.

No, i am not seeing apartment names in bold on my GPS - not yet.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:49   #1382
BHPian

I bought a Vx240 MMI PNA from Xenos on 17th Sep. Had to bargain hard with the MMI chennai area sales guy for providing the reverse camara.

Overall I'm satisfied with the device. However, here are some of the put offs:

1. The stylus was broken and MMI is yet to provide a replacement.
2. The battery charge lasts only for 1 hr or so.
3. The movie player does not have options for zooming etc. very basic
4. When you pair a mobile phone with the device, the device stops giving audio instructions for some time. Suddenly starts providing the same. Also if you put it to sleep and wake it up again, it starts working back on.
5. Maps are not fully accurate even for center of city in chennai. It misses the velechary road left from SP road when going towards Anna Salai. Also it does not recognize the right and left possible in to Annasalai and provide audio cues.
6. The roads around Nageswara Rao Park in Mylapore, especially the back of the park area are not fully covered.
7. Would not give Service full marks. Could not register the device as Vx240 as an option was not available for a few days. Had to twitter and email to get this sorted.

Regards,
LS Jeyaraman
Old 13th October 2010, 19:51   #1383
Senior - BHPian

HI guys.

Im planning to buy a navigator for my car within the next few days. From what I have read on this thread, i think MMI should be the right choice.
Can anyone suggest the best budget device I can buy. I dont intend to spend more than 10k on it.

Please suggest options within the budget.

Thanks.
Old 13th October 2010, 20:22   #1384
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me true VFM:

Buy Garmin device from Amazon (VFM : Nuvi 205W) + Satguide maps for 1000/-

Overall deal worth 6K
Old 13th October 2010, 20:25   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
I bought a Vx240 MMI PNA from Xenos on 17th Sep. Had to bargain hard with the MMI chennai area sales guy for providing the reverse camara.
How much did you get it for? Ruben is the sales guy, right?
Old 15th October 2010, 14:32   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
How much did you get it for? Ruben is the sales guy, right?
Got it free. This is as per their offer. I told Ruban that in ebay the same model is available with the reverse camera. Initially he was reluctant, but finally gave in.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 15th October 2010, 15:59   #1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
These are the pictures on my ANHC with MMI VX140. This angle and position is pretty good for ANHC. I am planning to put dashboard sticker, since i want to go for front windshield sun-film.
hi shamanth, not sure whether you have already put up your navigator on sticker or not. I was just wondering whether it will make the GPS "non-portable" so to say since it will be fixed to the car. Many a times when you are traveling you may like to take the GPS in your hand when you are on foot.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:39   #1388
BHPian

are the Satguide maps, which are for 990, available in microSD card? Or is the regular bigger size SD card (laptop ones)?
Old 16th October 2010, 15:05   #1389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
are the Satguide maps, which are for 990, available in microSD card? Or is the regular bigger size SD card (laptop ones)?
I think now they come only in micro SD cards. If you have device with SD card, you can buy a Micro SD to SD converter for a maximum of 50/- at electronic shops.
Old 16th October 2010, 15:29   #1390
BHPian

Is anyone successful in installing India maps to a TomTom GPS?
Old 18th October 2010, 10:28   #1391
BHPian

Hi,

Just bought myself the MMI RoadPilot yesterday. Tried it today to come to office and it worked cool. Already liking it! Am planning to drive down within Pune city to see how well this performs.

A few quick queries.
  1. The RP came with a car charger. Is it possible to buy an electric charger to be able to charge the product at home? I intend to take it with me to my coming trip to Delhi and I will not be driving. Therefore will need a charger to be able to charge from the electric point
  2. I will be going through the forum to understand how to download GPS logs. However if you know the specific thread then it will save be the time to search through
Thank you.
Old 18th October 2010, 11:07   #1392
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with Insignia 4.3" GPS ? I am getting a good deal on this in Canada for only 50$. I am planning to get Satguide maps for it. The Insignia runs ons Windows CE 5.0. Does this mean the Satguide maps will be compatible for it? Can i just buy the maps for 990 and then directly use them without any additional software or licenses ?
Old 18th October 2010, 14:01   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

As an aside, I had the experience of seeing both Google Maps and MMI on a friend's iPhone yesterday. Everything about it, from the relatively big screen to the ease of navigation makes my N82 look stone-age.

Ah well... I am just not prepared to spend that much, and even if I did, I'd be scared to carry that much value in my pocket!
Old 18th October 2010, 14:15   #1394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think now they come only in micro SD cards. If you have device with SD card, you can buy a Micro SD to SD converter for a maximum of 50/- at electronic shops.
If you ask they will throw in the micro- to full SD adapter free. Must ask when you order.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:33   #1395
Senior - BHPian

I have recently installed JVC AVX-836 in my Civic. It is navigation ready with RGB input.

Is "Satguide Navigation Kit for Alpine and Kenwood (and JVC)" is good option @10290 ?
Compatible Navigation Kit For Alpine And Kenwood From Satguide

Could not find any discount offer for this.

Or there are better options? I can buy the maps separately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks