Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:04   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Travelpilot Lucca for 8k ? I see it on sale on their website for 9,990.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-travelpilotlucca.jpg

How is it as a navigation device ? Can I route its audio out into the Aux - in of my car stereo ?
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:19   #1292
BHPian

New upgrade from SatGuide

I received an email from SatGuide about the release of new upgraded maps. The mail reads like this

Hyderabad, India, 18th August 2010 — SatNav Technologies, pioneers of SatGuide GPS Navigation in India since 2005 and Market Leaders today, have now launched a free Store Locator service and detailed maps of 810 cities of India. This involves a tie up with retailers spread across the country to map their store locations both on their own company website and on SatNav's portal.

However, I could not see any mention about this in their website. Does anybody has more details on this?.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:14   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
...maps of 810 cities of India ... Does anybody has more details on this?.
Just got the satguide SD card for my Garmin Nuvi. It has a folder named "Garmin 810 cities" with a gmapsupp.img file in it. The map is burnt on 27th August. I guess, it has 810 cities on it but, yet to hit the road and explore. I am impressed with some searches on PoI that I did for Pune city.

-BJ
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:24   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Just got the satguide SD card for my Garmin Nuvi. It has a folder named "Garmin 810 cities" with a gmapsupp.img file in it. The map is burnt on 27th August. I guess, it has 810 cities on it but, yet to hit the road and explore. I am impressed with some searches on PoI that I did for Pune city.

-BJ
Good to hear this. I hope along with adding new maps, they are also correcting the wrong details of the available routes.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:44   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Travelpilot Lucca for 8k ? I see it on sale on their website for 9,990.

How is it as a navigation device ? Can I route its audio out into the Aux - in of my car stereo ?
The MRP is 9900. 8000 is the discounted price. I have not seen it in operation. I guess @sdp1975 will have more information for you.

What I found while searching is that the hardware is a bit old - I think it was released in 2007, which is perhaps why there is a heavy discount on it now. Otherwise, it should be a pretty decent receiver, given that it is a Blaupunkt.
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:52   #1296
BHPian

Dear All
I've been following this thread for a while now but I am unable to make up my mind which one to go with- MMI or Satguide.
From what I have read so far, MMI seems to be straighforward to use but customer support is almost non-existent.Also, MMI seems to
be doing more business than Satguide which probably explains the patchy customer service.
Whereas, Satguide has responsive customer service but the device appears to be bit difficult to work with. Damu, Ampere - please correct me if I am wrong. I saw some posts regarding installing some special files to resolve some problem. How hassle free are these two devices?
From a price point of view, MMI has Travelpilot in the 8-9K range but Satguide doesn't seem to have any under <10K. Atleast I didn't find any on their site. Satguide owners-Please correct me here.
Also, what about the level of detail both maps go to? Which is better in this regard?

Looks like we have two camps with dedicated set of followers for MMI and Satguide :-) If anybody who has seen or used both set of maps can comment, it would be great.
TIA
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:22   #1297
BANNED

I do not think SatGuide is difficult to work with. In one case the person got his card as a micro-SD instead of an SD, and did not ask for the adapter either. I had never used a GPS in my life, plugged in the SatGuide SD (uSD in adapter) and it worked first time. As simple as that. Of course you read the manual only if everything fails - it did not for me!

Overall both are marketing their proprietary products (imports from China!) and are also selling Garmin and one or two standard brands. I will go with some standard brand, then you can switch any time.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd September 2010 at 14:23.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:23   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good to hear this. I hope along with adding new maps, they are also correcting the wrong details of the available routes.
How do I get hold of the upgrade? Neither have I not got any relevant e-mail nor can I find any details on the website!!
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:01   #1299
Senior - BHPian

@ccold dude call them up and tell them you want to upgrade. They will tell you theprice which again varies between the MMI and the Satguide.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:28   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How do I get hold of the upgrade? Neither have I not got any relevant e-mail nor can I find any details on the website!!
You can but it from : Map Upgrade . Cost is approx 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post
Dear All
I've been following this thread for a while now but I am unable to make up my mind which one to go with- MMI or Satguide.
I would suggest do not buy device from either. But a device like Garmin or Mio which is much better then devices offered by Satguide or MMI.

And later you can buy maps from either of them (and switch anytime). With Satguide, maps cost just 1k so you can try that and switch to MMI after few months if you find that Satguide is not up to the mark.

It would be tough to get opinion on this matter since for Some places Satguide would be better and for other places MMI would have better Map detail.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:12   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can but it from : Map Upgrade . Cost is approx 500.
Thanks NetfreakBombay

Quote:
I would suggest do not buy device from either. But a device like Garmin or Mio which is much better then devices offered by Satguide or MMI. And later you can buy maps from either of them (and switch anytime). With Satguide, maps cost just 1k so you can try that and switch to MMI after few months if you find that Satguide is not up to the mark.
I completely agree with NetfreakBombay. Get hold of a Garmin if you can - they are THE BEST PND makers globally. I did the same and loaded SatNav maps - an excellent VFM option.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:31   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Overall both are marketing their proprietary products (imports from China!) and are also selling Garmin and one or two standard brands. I will go with some standard brand, then you can switch any time.
Quote:
But a device like Garmin or Mio which is much better then devices offered by Satguide or MMI.
I think SatGuide sells Mio products.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th September 2010, 11:29   #1303
BHPian

How about TomTom ...its light in pocket
Old 7th September 2010, 17:06   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Google Route map to Garmin

Guys,

Anyone tried getting a Google Map route onto a Garmin device? I guess MX6 was trying out something to this effect. Any news dude?
Old 7th September 2010, 18:11   #1305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Anyone tried getting a Google Map route onto a Garmin device? I guess MX6 was trying out something to this effect. Any news dude?
Till date never went through routes, where Google wins and Satguide does not show anything. Hence never felt the need yet.

Most Viewed