Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 13:05   #1201
BHPian

Just spoke to 'AERIAL SERVICES PVT LTD' here in Bangalore. They are the authorized distributors for Garmin in India. Got the info from Garmin website. This is their site : http://www.asplindia.in

They have two models for India: 215 and 715. The 215 is about 11K + taxes and 715 is about 18K + taxes. They are both loaded with India maps. But i am not sure how good these maps are.

I am in a dialemma now. My friend is travelling back from US within the next 1 month. So i have to decide whether i should buy MMI or Garmin+ SatNav maps combo or buy the Garmin device here in Bangalore.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 18th August 2010 at 13:06.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:16   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I would say ,the maps are more than accurate and the RP is just superb.
Its been a well spent 8k .
It is definetely better to buy a Road Pilot if going for a MMI device, as it is VFM and the other devices which are way expensive as compared to the quality of the device.
and one more point is that the RP is just the product which suffices your need for a GPS navigation.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:17   #1203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Just spoke to 'AERIAL SERVICES PVT LTD' here in Bangalore. They are the authorized distributors for Garmin in India. Got the info from Garmin website. This is their site : http://www.asplindia.in

They have two models for India: 215 and 715. The 215 is about 11K + taxes and 715 is about 18K + taxes. They are both loaded with India maps. But i am not sure how good these maps are.

I am in a dialemma now. My friend is travelling back from US within the next 1 month. So i have to decide whether i should buy MMI or Garmin+ SatNav maps combo or buy the Garmin device here in Bangalore.
Having gone through many pages of this thread, the following is what I have captured.

1. Garmin device is supposed to be much better than MMI and SatGuide.

Could somebody comment in what way Garmin is better than MMI?

2. MMI maps are supposed to be much better than Satguide maps. Looks like MMI have much better details on semi-urban areas than Satguide. The highway details are good on both.

The above two points have been inferred based on comments/views from various people on this thread.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:27   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So i have to decide whether i should buy MMI or Garmin+ SatNav maps combo or buy the Garmin device here in Bangalore.
I am also of the same opinion that the Garmin devices will be much better than the others, you can check the same in blood n flesh and then decide which one you like personally, IMHO MMI maps are somewhat better thn satguide, but that too depends on the area you will use the GPS as satguide must be having good presence in many areas (and is much VFM)
Old 18th August 2010, 14:16   #1205
BHPian

I have given all the details to my friend, who is currently in Boston. If he can get me a Garmin device in about $200, i will get that. If not, then i will look at alternatives. Is there any specific model in Garmin that does the job? I know 265 is good. I need a model with Bluetooth.
Browsing their site as we speak. I see some deals on Amazon as well. But one thing i want to know is warranty. Does Garmin devices come with Global warranty or just local US warranty?
Old 18th August 2010, 14:20   #1206
BANNED

@naveenkantesh: Definitely. You can buy it from here on your 'plastic' and get it delivered to him. You can now get a 265WT + pouch + (maybe) friction mount for that amount of money. Just check on Amazon. I bought mine from there.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:00   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@naveenkantesh: Definitely. You can buy it from here on your 'plastic' and get it delivered to him. You can now get a 265WT + pouch + (maybe) friction mount for that amount of money. Just check on Amazon. I bought mine from there.

Thanks for the tip. I will do that. Any idea about warranty?
Old 18th August 2010, 15:07   #1208
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will do that. Any idea about warranty?
afaik there will be none. But these products are known to last and last, and unless you are very very unlucky do not bother.

Last edited by sgiitk : 18th August 2010 at 15:17.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:12   #1209
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Regarding devices, I feel that Garmin is better than all this MMI devices. If possible get a garmin from abroad and get MMI/ Satnav maps here. Satnav is pure VFM.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:32   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
afaik there will be none. But these products are known to last and last, and unless you are very very unlucky do not bother.

Thanks. Going through amazon. Will book one sometime this week. Is the mount absolutely necessary? What about the suction mount provided within the box for Garmin? They are not good? Is a separate mount necessary?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 18th August 2010 at 15:33.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:53   #1211
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. Going through amazon. Will book one sometime this week. Is the mount absolutely necessary? What about the suction mount provided within the box for Garmin? They are not good? Is a separate mount necessary?
Since I have a Civic where the windscreen is far away I got the friction mount. It is essentially a weighed bag with a soft rubber underside, on which the GPS can be mounted. The suction mount is fine, and also comes with a sitcker pad which can be mounted on the dash with a plastic disc on top. Then you can fix the suction mount on that.

One point to ponder - I am told that car thieves do not go for stereos, but a GPS is like a magnet to them. So you have to hide it. Here a friction mount is probably more handy.

What I will say is that pouch (only $4 or so) is a must while the friction mount is not.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:57   #1212
BHPian

anybody done MMI version 5.0 map upgrade?

I am using MMI VX140 which I'd purchased on last year November and it has version 4.0 map on it. It seems now version 5.0 is released.
Did anyone try upgrading to version 5.0?
Old 18th August 2010, 16:43   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
I am using MMI VX140 which I'd purchased on last year November and it has version 4.0 map on it. It seems now version 5.0 is released.
Did anyone try upgrading to version 5.0?

but how does one upgrade to 5.0?
Old 18th August 2010, 16:51   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Since I have a Civic where the windscreen is far away I got the friction mount. It is essentially a weighed bag with a soft rubber underside, on which the GPS can be mounted. The suction mount is fine, and also comes with a sitcker pad which can be mounted on the dash with a plastic disc on top. Then you can fix the suction mount on that.

One point to ponder - I am told that car thieves do not go for stereos, but a GPS is like a magnet to them. So you have to hide it. Here a friction mount is probably more handy.

What I will say is that pouch (only $4 or so) is a must while the friction mount is not.
Thanks. I will be getting the Friction mount and Case. I have narrowed down to 265W and 285W models. They are 184.35 and 194.99 respectively. They are here and here. Will book one of them this week.

The only difference i guess between these two are 285 comes with 3D maps. I cannot make out any other difference.
Old 18th August 2010, 17:41   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
but how does one upgrade to 5.0?
Here is the details to get the upgrade.
MapmyIndia Navigator Map Upgrades For GPS Devices In India | GPS Navigation

And how to upgrade, see one old link
Upgrade process in MapmyIndia : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

Now they are charging Rs 990 for a single update plan. Not sure is it worth going for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks