Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 18:57   #1276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
And these are the areas where my travels take me most of the time I am awaiting the day when Google Maps for Garmin are available!!

I read somewhere that a route plan/directions on Google Maps can be transferred to a Garmin device. Can someone please provide some insight on this?
I am told even Google is not correct in some of these places!
Old 31st August 2010, 19:50   #1277
BHPian

MMI works reasonably well in Kerala

I just got back from a week-long trip to Kerala. It was the first opportunity to use my MMI Lx240. A few observations:

- Most major roads are covered. I covered the following routes:

Bangalore - Kochi
Around the city and suburban areas
Kochi-Kumily/Thekkady-Kochi
Kochi-Kollam-Kochi
kochi-trichur-Kochi
Kochi-bangalore

On the way to Kumily from Kochi, there was a confusion somewhere in between Aluva and Kothamangalam, where MMI insisted I turn left, whereas the sign-board prompted me to turn right. I followed the sign-board. Around 5 km later, the two routes converged. I guess both were right! :P

On the way back from Kumily, I took the road from Kanjirapalli to Pala, but a part of that was not covered by MMI. The voice-over kept prompting me to take a u-turn every few minutes and eventually I had to mute it

Otherwise, all through my trip, it worked well. I am sure there will be a lot of other areas and smaller roads that are not covered as well. But my feeling is that most major roads are covered.

- The route given by MMI does not always follow a NH if there is one. For example, from Bangalore to kochi, it prompted me to turn right from Thoppur on NH, mostly to go through the Mettur dam/Bhavani route. I was using the "Optimal" setting. Maybe it has got to do with that. I havent tried "Fastest" and "Shortest" settings. Maybe it will stick to NH if I use "Fastest" mode. I need to check that.

- Battery proved good for about 3.5-4 hours, which seems decent for a 4.3" screen.

- I really liked the "Add a via point" feature. By using this, we can pick the route that we want to follow. For example, for Kochi - Kumily, I added via points at Aluva, Kothamangalam, Neriamangalam to take a more scenic route.

- The Audio/Video features werent used much, but the audio worked well when connected to the Aux-in of the ICE.

To summarize, I am cautiously happy with MMI. For now, on completely unknown routes, I would still prefer to ask a by-stander or a local shop owner once in a while just as a reaffirmation that I am taking the correct route. That may sound as defeating the purpose of buying a GPS set, but I look at it this way - the GPS set is your general route planner. There might be minor refinements that you might be able to do here and there with the help of local experts like a shop owner or a bystander at a junction.

When we have real-time data like traffic density, local road conditions etc available for use in India, that would be the time when a GPS set can be used as the sole guide for wayfarers.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:31   #1278
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I read somewhere that a route plan/directions on Google Maps can be transferred to a Garmin device. Can someone please provide some insight on this?
Cool_dube. I did that once.
I did routing using google maps. Saved them as kml. Used a convertor to convert to gpx. Then imported in to mapsource, marked the points where ever the route turned as custom POIs. Saved that gpx and imported to garmin. Then set the option to off-road and routed using garmin with setting the custom POIs as via points.
It worked first time.
Now the kml2gpx convertor I have doesn't do a proper conversion. Been wanting to investigate this, haven't really looked in to it.
Will try it in a couple of weeks time again and let all know.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:15   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Now the kml2gpx convertor I have doesn't do a proper conversion.
If it is GPSBabel you are using, ver 1.4.1 has a known bug. To be corrected in the next version.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 31st August 2010, 23:10   #1280
MX6
Senior - BHPian

that is great news sutripta. I used both gpsbabel as well as kml2gpx. hope the next version of gpsbabel gives me a proper conversion.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:13   #1281
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

good summary civicsense - my sentiments on Sat Nav devices mirror yours almost exactly

the thing is Optimal/ Fuel Saver/ Eco Route/ Fastest time/ Shortest route settings all have a definite impact. This is best illustrated while driving abroad where the Satellite mapping is highly advanced.

Battery should last easy 4 hours. I also believe in draining the battery and then connecting it to charge. Better, they say for the battery's life.

Via Point is brilliant. Really helpful indeed, especially when one is on holiday!

I like your submission that In India the GPS is a "route planner" - I am sure that at least in our lifetimes we will always have the tea shops and by standers to ask directions from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
- The route given by MMI does not always follow a NH if there is one. I was using the "Optimal" setting. Maybe it has got to do with that. I havent tried "Fastest" and "Shortest" settings. Maybe it will stick to NH if I use "Fastest" mode.
- Battery proved good for about 3.5-4 hours, which seems decent for a 4.3" screen.

- I really liked the "Add a via point" feature. By using this, we can pick the route that we want to follow. For example, for Kochi - Kumily, I added via points at Aluva, Kothamangalam, Neriamangalam to take a more scenic route.

- The Audio/Video features werent used much, but the audio worked well when connected to the Aux-in of the ICE.

To summarize, I am cautiously happy with MMI. For now, on completely unknown routes, I would still prefer to ask a by-stander or a local shop owner once in a while just as a reaffirmation that I am taking the correct route. That may sound as defeating the purpose of buying a GPS set, but I look at it this way - the GPS set is your general route planner. There might be minor refinements that you might be able to do here and there with the help of local experts like a shop owner or a bystander at a junction.

When we have real-time data like traffic density, local road conditions etc available for use in India, that would be the time when a GPS set can be used as the sole guide for wayfarers.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:14   #1282
BANNED

@shankar.balan: I fully agree. Until more of India is digitized the GPS is only a guide. Also, local knowledge is supreme. You never know when they dig up a road for laying sewers, water mains, etc. The algorithm used by the routing software presumably works out priorities as NH > SH > Local loads. Only in many places the roads (esp.SH's) are now in the middle of the bazaar!
Old 1st September 2010, 14:50   #1283
Team-BHP Support

Perfect view and they are same here. Along with it the track logs provide wealth of info covered in the route, which are fun to play with
(speeds, distances, altitudes, etc.)

Plus you also get to know the actual deviations from the route, suggested in various maps. They also help improve one's geography !

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2010 at 14:51.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:43   #1284
BHPian

90% of time when we do home to office run, we do not really need navigation device. This is really required when we go to outstation trips or unfamlier area of the city. I wonder if there is any way we can get this on rent when we go outstation. It will better to rent than buy.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:12   #1285
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

There are 4 threads on this subject of Satellite Navigation - perhaps the Mods could consider merging all of them since there is a considerable overlap.

The 4 Threads are:
1. Will GPS PND brought from abroad work in India?
2. SatNav vs MapMyIndia
3. GPS - Is Navigator a worthwhile buy?
4. Using GPS receiver...

Perhaps we could have just one thread called the Satellite Navigation Device thread or Views on Satellite Navigation Devices or something.

Mr Sgiitk has commented similarly on this subject on the other threads on Sat Nav.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:20   #1286
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is using a sony ericsson Vivaz with MMI maps, please let me know, I am yet to figure out how to get it going. So far whatever is tried is a waste of time. Support from MMI is pathetic, numbers given are not even picked up by anyone, email communication is never replied nor acknowledged.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:08   #1287
Senior - BHPian

I did not use my Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca for a few months, and now I find the battery to be useless.

The moment I switch off the power supply and try to run it on battery the device switches off. This was not the case when I bought it new.

Tried to charge it for around 10 hrs but no luck.

Anyone else facing this problem, how good is the battery on other devices ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st September 2010 at 21:11.
Old 2nd September 2010, 07:56   #1288
BHPian

Satguide customer service ROCKS !

After gaining valuable inputs from TBhpians at Post#1245

7:05 A.M-I shot one email to Satguide for enquiry
7:10 A.M -I received a phone call asking details of my requirements
7:13 A.M - I received discount code and others details
7:15 A.M - Sales Closed.

WOW ! That is really superb.
I never thought this can be possible in India, More so when I am sitting here in Jorhat(Assam).

Thanks to all Tbhpian for guidance and I shall post my experience after using the merchandise.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:00   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I did not use my Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca for a few months, and now I find the battery to be useless. ... how good is the battery on other devices ?
Must be a fluke case. Take the unit to Blau / Bosch service - they will be able to replace the battery.

My 3 years-old Garmin unit retains charge for months.
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:29   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I did not use my Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca for a few months, and now I find the battery to be useless.

The moment I switch off the power supply and try to run it on battery the device switches off. This was not the case when I bought it new.

Tried to charge it for around 10 hrs but no luck.

Anyone else facing this problem, how good is the battery on other devices ?
I read similar user reviews on the net sometime back. I was also evaluating the Lucca model - MMI were giving it for 8000 with the latest maps (v5.0), but I decided against it after reading a couple of reviews saying one needs to constantly connect it to the 12V charging point. The sales guy also said that at best one would only get 30-45 minutes of battery backup - the reason being the receiver is quite powerful and it gets a satellite lock much faster than other devices.

Most Viewed