Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 21:06   #1306
Team-BHP Support

Question for folks who just bought Satguide maps.

Can you please let me know if the NICE road is fully shown?
That one that I have shows only till Mysore road.

EDIT: The maps on the Satguide website still shows NICE road from Hosur road only till Mysore road and not beyond.

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2010 at 21:15.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:21   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Till date never went through routes, where Google wins and Satguide does not show anything. Hence never felt the need yet.
Ampere - I agree with you to a large extent. Most of the roads as shown by SatNav are correct. What is missing is names/accuracy in names for most of the places. As a workaround, I take coordinates for relevant places from Google Maps (these are very accurate) and save these as POIs on my Garmin. This has worked very well for me till now
Old 8th September 2010, 14:47   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Ampere - I agree with you to a large extent. Most of the roads as shown by SatNav are correct. What is missing is names/accuracy in names for most of the places. As a workaround, I take coordinates for relevant places from Google Maps (these are very accurate) and save these as POIs on my Garmin. This has worked very well for me till now
Can you advise on how to do it?
Old 8th September 2010, 14:59   #1309
MX6
Senior - BHPian

f1fan. any place you can get the lat/ long co-ordinates in google maps.
Now go to your garmin and search for co-ordinates that you have found of a place in google maps.
you can find them in your search options.
Once that place is found in garmin, save it as POI to your favourites.

However as a cautionary note, do note that if some roads leading to that place is also missing in satnav maps, then routing to it can be tricky as your maps will show longer existing routes, or simply draw a straight line and show it as offroading. You might actually then have to drive over a ravine!

Last edited by MX6 : 8th September 2010 at 15:00.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:07   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Can you advise on how to do it?
Right-click on the desired location on Google Maps gives a pop-up menu. Choose 'What's here?'. This will display the lat/long (coordinates) for the particular location. Manually enter these coordinates on your Garmin (after selecting 'Where To' > 'Coordinates' and save it as a POI. You should be all set!!!

PS - Apparently Google Map also supports sending the coordinates of a location directly to a Garmin GPS but I have not been able to do so as I do not see the 'GPS' option once I click 'Send' on Google Maps!
Old 8th September 2010, 15:21   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
f1fan. any place you can get the lat/ long co-ordinates in google maps.
Now go to your garmin and search for co-ordinates that you have found of a place in google maps.
you can find them in your search options.
Once that place is found in garmin, save it as POI to your favourites.

However as a cautionary note, do note that if some roads leading to that place is also missing in satnav maps, then routing to it can be tricky as your maps will show longer existing routes, or simply draw a straight line and show it as offroading. You might actually then have to drive over a ravine!
After your recent midnight escapade with non-existing roads in the middle of no-where with family on tow I am really scared to use that option.

BTW did you get time to look into our earlier issue i.e. converting .kml to Garmin format using GPSBabel or kml2gpx. I tried some additional options over the weekend but to no avail. The kml file opens up blank in mapsource i.e. no route, no tracks

Quote:
Right-click on the desired location on Google Maps gives a pop-up menu. Choose 'What's here?'. This will display the lat/long (coordinates) for the particular location. Manually enter these coordinates on your Garmin (after selecting 'Where To' > 'Coordinates' and save it as a POI. You should be all set!!!

PS - Apparently Google Map also supports sending the coordinates of a location directly to a Garmin GPS but I have not been able to do so as I do not see the 'GPS' option once I click 'Send' on Google Maps!
Thanks Cool_dube for the steps.

Last edited by f1fan : 8th September 2010 at 15:23.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:03   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it works (shows up) only for US locations when you have (paid version of?) Google earth client installed on your PC + Garmin/GPS device connected as a USB device.

-BJ
Old 8th September 2010, 18:02   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats exactly even what I do. Mark as favourites on device and then while driving through that place, see it there are any roads around which Satgudie does not have.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:30   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Guys wanting to buy the Lucca, please ensure that the company will support service and warranty issues. I was told no when I enquired on the Lucca. Its a stock clearance sale for them.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:35   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys wanting to buy the Lucca, please ensure that the company will support service and warranty issues. I was told no when I enquired on the Lucca. Its a stock clearance sale for them.
My $0.02:
Dont buy if there is no support. If are not getting support, then instead of buying a Lucca, I would suggest you buy a Garmin instead.
Lot of folks have recvd Lucca with broken screens (which I believe was replaced later) and I also read a post about some taking about battery issues with Lucca i.e. Battery lasts for max 30 min or so.
Also if I am not wrong, the Manufacture date is 2008. Hence looking at all these factors, I would suggest otherwise. On the flip side, if you are getting a great discount then you can weigh in the pros/cons on the same.

I am sure I would have confused you more by now

Last edited by f1fan : 9th September 2010 at 13:36.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:08   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its a stock clearance sale for them.
How does that make any difference? If they are not willing to support, etc, they should sell them on a market stall, not as a reputable company --- or at minimum 50% discount!

Oh, I miss my UK shopping and the bargains: when you get a £100 item for £25 upi are just glad it works when you turn it on. You accept the risk. When you pay anything even approaching full price, you should not.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:11   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Anyone tried getting a Google Map route onto a Garmin device?
Ok what I did is to use the bookmarklet available in http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ So here what you do is to create your custom route in google map and then click on the bookmark. It produces a gpx file of the route (it is nothing but an XML file, can be seen in any text editor). There are 2 bugs in the software (which I reported but the author didn't fix yet). There are spurious /div tags, and it does not escape the attribute values properly. They can be easily fixed in a decent text editor (vim/emacs/gedit, even in notepad but it'll be tedious). Once I got the gpx file, I used easyGps to send it to my Garmin device (it is a poor watch, BTW). And the watch guided me from Bangalore to Lakavalli happily.

Last edited by kousik : 14th September 2010 at 19:12.
Old 14th September 2010, 20:34   #1318
Senior - BHPian

^^ Saar I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 series. The website says some 200 and 768 series will only work in India. Is there a way to make the 1300 work as well ? Please let me know.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:59   #1319
BHPian

hi
I am planning to buy a WINCE 5.0 based in dash car GPS.
It can be pre-loaded with the following softwares:-

-Route66
-TOMTOM
-IGO8
-DESTINATOR

Can you tell me which one is compatible with either MMI or satguide? I am only interested in NCR region Maps. i have heard good reviews about IGO 8 (NAV n Go) and even heard that it has collaborated with MMI. However there are no maps on their wensite for IGO 8
Old 15th September 2010, 07:14   #1320
Team-BHP Support

Satguide works on Destinator 9. Not sure of MMI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks