Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 08:21   #1411
Team-BHP Support

The best is to get the Garmin Friction mount. It works as a stand on your dashboard. I dont like to stick it into the wind shield.

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more
Old 20th October 2010, 09:26   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Will it stick to the windscreen as I have installed Garware Ice cool film on it?
Let me address this one. I will not advise trying to fix it on top of the film. The load (esp. on bumps) may peel it off.

While I will suggest a friction mount as the best choice, the unit does come with a double sided round sticker and a black disc. You can fix the disc to the dashboard with the sticker, and then fix the Nuvi onto that using the normal suction mount.

Plus point - cost.

Minus points : You have the disc on the dash all the time (Garmin actually say that the adhesive is very strong). It may be unsightly, and remember that now thieves target GPSes rather than Stereos! I may add that on a dark dash the black disc (it fully covers the white adhesive pad) may not be too unsightly.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th October 2010 at 09:33.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:46   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Get 225W, cost would be $120. It has bigger display + faster chip. This is among the best GPS devices.
Is that a typo? I searched for it but the result was 255 W, not 225W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
It does come with a car charger and windscreen mount. No need to buy it separately. No idea regarding the second point though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
It'll stick for sure; but check the material of the film, if it is metal based then satellite reception may be poor.
Thanks @Newpunter and @Kousik. I am not sure if Garware Ice
Cool is metal-based. Anybody knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best is to get the Garmin Friction mount. It works as a stand on your dashboard. I dont like to stick it into the wind shield.

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more
Wow, that sure looks worthwhle for 18 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me address this one. I will not advise trying to fix it on top of the film. The load (esp. on bumps) may peel it off.

While I will suggest a friction mount as the best choice, the unit does come with a double sided round sticker and a black disc. You can fix the disc to the dashboard with the sticker, and then fix the Nuvi onto that using the normal suction mount.
Thanks @sgitk. I guess Ampere's suggestion for a Friction Mount is the best option.
I wonder if Satnav has voice-commands like in the US. My pals drove down from Canada to DC when I was there and we named that lady 'Olga'

But I was kind of surprised that Arlington Cemetary was not in the POI for Washington DC. Therefore we had to choose Pentagon, which is beside it. But the darn thing took us to a hotel named 'Best Western Pentagon, which was 3 miles away

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th October 2010 at 12:48.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:15   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a typo? I searched for it but the result was 255 W, not 225W.
Yes its a typo, should be 255W.

Quote:
I wonder if Satnav has voice-commands like in the US. My pals drove down from Canada to DC when I was there and we named that lady 'Olga'
Yes it has voice commands (directions spoken by Satnav device). More expensive units can be contolled by voice.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:23   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes its a typo, should be 255W.

Yes it has voice commands (directions spoken by Satnav device). More expensive units can be contolled by voice.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will go for a combo pack of 255 W + Garmin Portable Friction Mound + AmazonBasics carrying case which works out to 145 USD. With Satnav I think the total expenditure will be around 7800 INR.
I guess the prices may drop by the time I go in December. As of now my trip is tentative.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:28   #1416
Team-BHP Support

Vnabhi, If possible get someone to buy a Garmin device from the US.

It should cost you under 100$. With the current exchange rate of 1$ < INR 45.
Its just 4500 rupees.

Buy the maps from Satguide Provide The Best Gps Software For Laptops And Mobile Phones

The cost is Rs 990.

A colleague of mine has placed an order for the maps. Will update you once we receive the shipped micro SD and install it on his device.

btw, I use my Asus p527 mobile phone with SatNav maps. For highway usage and the occasional city address search I find the device more than adequate.

Last edited by bblost : 20th October 2010 at 13:30.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:22   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Vnabhi, If possible get someone to buy a Garmin device from the US.
This is exactly what he will be doing. See his post on the previous page. Good even the mods miss out.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:44   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @bblost. As pointed out by sgitk, I plan to buy it from the US.

I've googled for Asus p527 mobile and found that it is a lot more expensive than the combo I've posted about above.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:51   #1419
BHPian

Update Guys..I tried to order Satguide map for Garmin through their website and entered the code and the discount was added to the total amount being 487/-, I proceeded with the order and it pushed me out of the final transaction guiding me back to Satguide website asking me to contact their support. It seems the code works only when you place orders through the websites where these discount ads are uploaded and the support team was not able to tell me those websites stating it was a third party driven advertising campaign. I placed my order for 990/- in their site and in less that a minute I got a call from a satguide representative ackowledging my order and he mentioned that he will give the shipment docket # by tomorrow as they are closed for the day. Good service and I am happy that Indian customers are heading towards some good customer support experience. I had also called SUN DTH support today morning and experienced the worst customer support possible, I had to call them back to back 5 times and of no use... I started losing my cool and gave up before I could break something or throw my phone.

I can vouch that proffesional customer service can give the best of service and do the marketing & sales. My statement itself is a good example to bring in more customers to Satguide ... I should contact their support & marketing manager for some incentives
Old 20th October 2010, 22:27   #1420
Team-BHP Support

Try writing a feedback mail on their website. For all my technical queries, I got a call back from them within one hour!

@vnabhi, I have been using that friction mount for last one year after I purchased my Garmin.
Its worth its weight in gold. Really worth it!

Only thing you need to figure out is if you have a flat surface on your car dashboard to keep the mount.
Some cars may not have that.

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2010 at 22:31.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:50   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been interested in buying a GPS device for my car and was wondering if one of the GPS in-dash navigation kit that plugs into your 2 DIN system (mine is a JVX AVX 836) is worth the money. Both SatGuide and MMI offer the kit albeit at a huge price difference. SG costs about 14K and MMI about 23 (!!). Has anybody tried these kits?

Also Garmin is now directly & officially present in India - Garmin India

This India specific link wasnt available just a couple of weeks back when I last checked.

Regards,
Old 21st October 2010, 09:22   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Thats great. Hope prices of devices are sensible and are not twice as compared to US prices.
Old 21st October 2010, 09:34   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Two points :

1. There are many Gramins with the T suffix in the US. These just add a receiver for broadcast info in the power cosrd and are useless in India.

2. Upgraded the firmware from the Gramin site. Second time I haev done it since the unit was bought in May. This update seems to have speeded it up quite a bit. One thing - it seems to go to sleep, and then after a few minutes does the PROM update.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st October 2010 at 09:42.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:07   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I've been interested in buying a GPS device for my car and was wondering if one of the GPS in-dash navigation kit that plugs into your 2 DIN system (mine is a JVX AVX 836) is worth the money. Both SatGuide and MMI offer the kit albeit at a huge price difference. SG costs about 14K and MMI about 23 (!!). Has anybody tried these kits?
Hi I am also in the same boat with my JVC AVX-836.

By the way, navigation device from SatGuide was for 10, 290/- when I checked it last on 20th Oct. Today it is showing 13890.

I sent them a mail and asked for further discount which they refused but offered 3 free upgrades instead of regular 2 upgrades.

If you are interested in buying, just drop them a mail, I am sure they will be ready to sell it for 10,290/-.

Or we can bargain for 2 units.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:21   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@vnabhi, I have been using that friction mount for last one year after I purchased my Garmin.
Its worth its weight in gold. Really worth it!

Only thing you need to figure out is if you have a flat surface on your car dashboard to keep the mount.
Some cars may not have that.
Thanks for the tips. Both my Fiesta and Waggie have a flat surface on the dash---methinks they call it idol stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Also Garmin is now directly & officially present in India - Garmin India

This India specific link wasnt available just a couple of weeks back when I last checked.
Quote:
Thats great. Hope prices of devices are sensible and are not twice as compared to US prices.
I just checked that site and your fears are not unfounded. The cheapest one that has (India) on its name is around 13 K, and the other over 23 K.
But they do have pre-loaded maps, which means one need not pay 1 K to Satnav, I presume.

They also have bluetooth compatibiltiy. Not sure if the US ones like 255W have this feature. In any case my Fiesta already has a Nokia CK7W bluetooth device.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st October 2010 at 11:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks