Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:00   #1486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Are Garmin devices better than the Windowas based devices that US websites sell?
You mean in accuracy or operation, Garmin is a more soildly build GPS, has a robust OS, does not crash all that often. Accuracy depends a lot on the maps that you load in the device. Since 2004(GPS became free for use) a lot has changed especially a whole host of chineese makes are available. I've been using Nuvi 285W and my vote goes for Garmin as of now.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:12   #1487
BHPian

After having used both MapMyIndia and Satguide for the past few days, I have to say that MapmyIndia is way ahead of Satguide in terms of map coverage as well as features. Satguide was too slow to load the maps, didn't have many features and the map coverage was not good at all.
MMI on the other hand, was awesome. The maps were very detailed and i could find what i was looking for, almost all the time. The software supplied for WinCe ( Sygic ) had a very good interface and loaded the maps very fast. I think MMI might be a bit costly but they are worth it.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:16   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Are Garmin devices better than the Windowas based devices that US websites sell?
Let me say, once a Garmin always a Garmin. I have seen people struggle and appreciate Garmin after they have switched over. Tom Tom is the next best thing as far as price and user friendliness is concerned. Garmin is expensive.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:43   #1489
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I love my garmin. There would be 100s of cheap chinese devices. But then one should have a look at the chipset there. Especially with hotfix, my garmin 265wt latches on to satellites like a charm.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:16   #1490
BANNED

@womanonwheels: As count Enzo used to say, "A Ford howsoever souped up cannot be a Ferrari". Garmin is at least the Merc of the GPS world.
Old 24th November 2010, 15:46   #1491
BHPian

Got SatGuide maps for my Garmin. But now there is another problem. My Garmin 265WT has an SD card slot but the maps are on a Micro SD card.
I now need to buy a microSD card adapter

Any idea how much that would cost and where can i pick one NOW?
Old 24th November 2010, 15:57   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Got SatGuide maps for my Garmin. But now there is another problem. My Garmin 265WT has an SD card slot but the maps are on a Micro SD card.I now need to buy a microSD card adapter
SatGuide should have provided the adapter along with the package that was delivered to you. It is a part of the deal. Please talk to them and get it delivered.
Old 24th November 2010, 16:39   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
SatGuide should have provided the adapter along with the package that was delivered to you. It is a part of the deal. Please talk to them and get it delivered.
Are you sure about this? There was no mention of this on their site when i booked it.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:02   #1494
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Are you sure about this? There was no mention of this on their site when i booked it.
Send a mail to them stating that your garmin has an SD card slot.

They despatch an adapter free of cost the very next day.

Satguide customer support rocks!
Old 24th November 2010, 17:34   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Send a mail to them stating that your garmin has an SD card slot.

They despatch an adapter free of cost the very next day.

Satguide customer support rocks!

Too late for that. Called them. But they said they don't provide it.
So picked up the adapter just now for 75 bugs.

My Garmin is now up and running with satnav maps. I was able to 'successfully' navigate back to the office from the store after that !

The real test begins now.

While playing around, i saw the Points of Interest. It did not show up Tangerine restaurant! But showed other Hotels in this area.
BTW, i was on CMH Road in front of my office in Indiranagar...
Old 24th November 2010, 18:38   #1496
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised that they don't provide it now. I feel you should have mailed them instead of calling.

They didn't send the adapter to me. When I mailed them, the apologised and sent it immediately. Anyway, 75 bucks is not a big deal. Enjoy the maps.

Of the POIs that don't show up, just ignore and make custom POIs. Simple. MMI has more coverage that way. But then it's also 7 times the cost!
Old 24th November 2010, 19:26   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm surprised that they don't provide it now. I feel you should have mailed them instead of calling.

They didn't send the adapter to me. When I mailed them, the apologised and sent it immediately. Anyway, 75 bucks is not a big deal. Enjoy the maps.

Of the POIs that don't show up, just ignore and make custom POIs. Simple. MMI has more coverage that way. But then it's also 7 times the cost!
They used to send the adapter along earlier. When I ordered my SatGuide maps for my Garmin I got it without having to remind them or ask for it.

But lately I think the adapter is not part of the deal ( this has been discussed in this thread earlier). Cost cutting I think.
Old 24th November 2010, 21:07   #1498
BANNED

SatGuide are now on uSD only without the adapter. However, Rs.75 for the adapter sounds a bit high - 25-50 is more like it.
Old 25th November 2010, 00:34   #1499
Distinguished - BHPian

We have so many I'd be hard-pressed to find one --- as in, every time we buy a card for a phone it seems to come with an adapter, we think, another one, and don't bother to keep it safe.

Almost a throw-away item.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:03   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Those who have purchased recent versions of Satguide for Garmin, what is the version of Maps?

I bought maps in September and got August 2010 version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks