Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 20:38   #1606
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Sguitk > Sir, my friend is comming to India from US in this month end and i like to know the best model which i can ask him to buy for me? i have shortlisted one Garmin nuvi 265 W 4.3 inches which comes with bluetooth connectivity is it OK? further can you guide me how to install the MMI maps into it? i know you have been using a Garmin unit along with friction unit can you please guide me into buying and fixing in my ANHC thank you in advance

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 7th January 2011 at 20:57.
Old 8th January 2011, 02:54   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Sguitk > Sir, my friend is comming to India from US in this month end and i like to know the best model which i can ask him to buy for me? i have shortlisted one Garmin nuvi 265 W 4.3 inches which comes with bluetooth connectivity is it OK? further can you guide me how to install the MMI maps into it? i know you have been using a Garmin unit along with friction unit can you please guide me into buying and fixing in my ANHC thank you in advance
265 WT is a good product and I bought it 2 weeks ago. Cost me 115 USD which included a free pouch---the price was 135 for both earlier.

As regards friction mount, I found a new model at the shops here that costs around 5 USD more, and saw a good video review on Amazon. See the video at the left bottom of the page at:-

Amazon.com: Garmin Friction Mount: Electronics

It compares with the older model and lists the advantages. I plan to buy this shortly.

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th January 2011 at 02:56.
Old 8th January 2011, 08:44   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
can you guide me how to install the MMI maps into it?
Its pretty straightforward actually. Just put MMI's SD Card into the PND and restart it.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:48   #1609
BHPian

Guys, Recently bought a Nokia C3 for personal usage. Can we download any free maps onto the same ? I want to do it offline. Being a mech guy, dont have any idea as to which is a best choice for usage in India.

Expecting to hear from you . Thanks a ton
Old 10th January 2011, 13:02   #1610
Senior - BHPian

C3 runs an older version of operating system. And it does not have GPS.

So, choice of map software is very limited.

I guess only option for offline usage is to download MGMaps and use it with offline Google maps.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:47   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
C3 runs an older version of operating system. And it does not have GPS.

So, choice of map software is very limited.

I guess only option for offline usage is to download MGMaps and use it with offline Google maps.
NetfreakBombay, I dont mind using the data offline [ anyway I dont have any dataplan with me ]. Can you kindly guide me to the right direction on MGMaps or Offline Google maps. I know that you have been playing around with them for quite long time, I need your guidance on the same Please

Thanks a ton
Old 10th January 2011, 14:38   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Download mgmaps from : Mobile GMaps - Download

After setting it up, download offline maps using tools from : Mobile GMaps - Map Tile Caching tools

Did you try opening OVI store on your phone? Maybe there is a version of OVI Maps for your phone.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:28   #1613

I am using SatGuide Tracker for my dog and I can say that it is a device which has value for money. According to me all pet lovers should use it for safety of their pets. I am not aware of other users experience but I am totally satisfied with it.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:32   #1614

It can also be used as a personal tracker.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:52   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am using SatGuide Tracker for my dog ...
Why not just give him a phone and keep in touch that way?

Seriously, though, does that allow you to track him, real time? Do you actually watch where he goes? Does he go far?

I don't think I ever heard of anyone using any kind of tracker on a domestic animal before.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:12   #1616

Well ! when you love your pet very much and your pet is naughty, then my friend you need this.
If still not satisfied then read this:
Fighting Poachers with GPS | Satguide Blog
Old 12th January 2011, 23:49   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Need help

I just bought maps from satguide.in and loaded the same in my gps device (garmin 205w). When I restarted the device, I am getting the error "can't unlock the maps". What could be the problem? Can anyone please guide me?
Old 13th January 2011, 11:00   #1618
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I just bought maps from satguide.in and loaded the same in my gps device (garmin 205w). When I restarted the device, I am getting the error "can't unlock the maps". What could be the problem? Can anyone please guide me?
Did you copy the key file. The Garmin unit should ask you for a license key or something
Old 13th January 2011, 11:15   #1619
BANNED

Re: Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
did you copy the files across, or did you actually insert the uSD card (in an adapter). If teh former then delete these files, and do the latter.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:38   #1620
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thats news!
Didnt know this was available yet in India.
How large is it and how much does it cost?
Need to figure for my 3 pet monsters even though they dont loaf around unless accompanied by one of us.
Also how durable is it against repeated tugging and chewing because my youngest Alsatian is constantly tugging at the other 2 chaps collars etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
I am using SatGuide Tracker for my dog and I can say that it is a device which has value for money. According to me all pet lovers should use it for safety of their pets. I am not aware of other users experience but I am totally satisfied with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks