Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 17:06   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Pretty scary stuff indeed. Which is why I always carry enough food supplies and water and never waste on trips into nowhere.
One should not entirely rely on GPS. A good hard copy map book, a compass and understanding how to use it are vital for those who like to travel into wild interiors of nowhere.
Imagine the satellites going bonkers and your GPS taking you somewhere else. Farfetched fictional thought, but what if..
Old 4th February 2011, 17:28   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Wrong maps are indeed misleading and give a false sense of security.

I had stayed over in Ahmedabad for a night in December. Next day, when I wanted to head towards A'bad - Vadodara highway, it showd me route though bylanes which did not exist. Google map was showing me a road, while all I could see was a fine building standing right there. Even the hotel location was wrong, but that could be operator error.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:47   #1683
BANNED

All over the world local maps have to be taken with a big pinch of salt. Also, India will be worse off, since most of our maps are NOT digitized.
Old 5th February 2011, 02:49   #1684
BHPian

If Tom Tom is bringing their products to India, hopefully the Tom Tom Iphone App will be launched too! It saves the trouble of having a separate GPS device.

The latest version of the app has a neat feature called Map Share, where corrections on maps are regularly updated!
Old 5th February 2011, 09:50   #1685
Team-BHP Support

More importantly it needs to be seen what is source of their maps?
If the maps are like Garmin, it may not sell much.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:35   #1686
Senior - BHPian

I have my colleague coming back from US this March. I was thinking of getting a GPS unit. Well that seemed most reasonable of all the options thrown up as an answer to "Kaya Laaon Tumahre liye".

So idea is to get a device from there, buy maps here.
I was thinking it will be even sweeter if that thing is able to play movies etc. Of course the catch is that its Punto Emotion with a built in music system that does not take any connections from outside world. There might be some hacks but I am not into hacks really. So the device is expected to pair up via FM with the Music system and play the audio.

Too much to expect??
Old 5th February 2011, 10:58   #1687
Senior - BHPian

If buying from US, I would suggest Garmin 255W, its cheap ($120 - 140) and has excellent hardware. It would not do things like music, but is excellent GPS device.

You can buy maps from Satguide/MMI for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
If Tom Tom is bringing their products to India, hopefully the Tom Tom Iphone App will be launched too! It saves the trouble of having a separate GPS device.

The latest version of the app has a neat feature called Map Share, where corrections on maps are regularly updated!

Sygic (with India maps) is already available on App Store.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 5th February 2011 at 10:59.
Old 5th February 2011, 11:38   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

For users of MMI specifically Vx 240, how does one use the coordinates screen for inputting data and searching? I tried to enter the coordinates of Maidainhalli watchtower which is a black buck sanctuary near Bangalore and the location was not shown on the map.

The online manual has no chapter on this and the Helpdesk at MMI was quite clueless about using this feature.

Rgds
i am using the nav300 with mmi maps 4.0 i think the interface of your device would pretty much be the same. I got the co-ordinates from google and typed them in manually into the device. But it did not work. So i typed the co-ordinates the other way round and it worked. Give it a try
Old 5th February 2011, 20:23   #1689
Senior - BHPian

We drove down to Pittsburg a couple of weeks ago from Washington DC (220 Miles). My pal had his Tomtom unit that he'd purchased 3 years ago for 400 USD, and I carried along my Garmin 265WT for comparision.

Our plan was to drive via State roads as they were more scenic and shorter in distance, with the added advantage of avoiding tolls.

Though older, I found the Tom Tom had the following advantages:-
  1. It came with a remote, so there was no need to reach out to the windscreen and poke with fingertips.
  2. Each time you fed a route, it gave an option or avoiding toll roads, whereas in the Garmin, it was a general setting that applied to all routes.
  3. The Tom Tom displayed remaining distance also on the initial screen, whereas in the Garmin one had to press the screen to be taken to another screen that showed this information.
  4. The Tom Tom showed info about the current road one was travelling on, apart from the one to turn into ahead. On the Garmin, it only showed the next road to turn into and how far ahead it was.
  5. Whenver we opted not to use the suggested route and went ahead on our pre-planned route, the Tom Tom adjusted to the new route quicker. The Garmin kept re-calculating and asking us to take a U turn to its suggested route for nearly 10 miles.
However the Garmin did have the following advantages:-
  1. Better screen resolution and colour.
  2. Quicker lock on to satellites on initial start
  3. More accurate road names (as it was a recent buy perhaps)
  4. Much lighter in weight. The Tom Tom's suction cap kept falling off the windscreen owing to sub-zero temperatures. (It never happened in DC weather however, but only on cold Pennsylvania roads). I may add , though OT, that even the windscreen fluid was not getting sprayed as it had turned into ice!
  5. Bluetooth feature.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:38   #1690
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi thanks for sharing that comparison with us. The feautures that you mention on the tom tom are similar to what my mmi nav300 offers. I do not own a garmin, but fiddled around with garmin mobile xt a bit and did not like the interface much. Overall in your comparo it seems the tom tom has come out a clear winner.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:15   #1691
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

pal - please elucidate what exactly you mean by this - Im not able to comprehend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So i typed the co-ordinates the other way round and it worked. Give it a try
Old 6th February 2011, 19:33   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
. Overall in your comparo it seems the tom tom has come out a clear winner.
Yes, that is correct. . But the Tom Tom cost nearly 4 times. But that was around 3 years back. I guess it would today cost around twice as much as the Garmin.
Another deterrent is the weight of the unit. But modern Tom Toms will certainly be lighter.

I don't think Tom Tom units have SD card slots, which would be a big deterrent for use in India.
Old 7th February 2011, 07:55   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
pal - please elucidate what exactly you mean by this - Im not able to comprehend.
IMHO reversing the Lat./Long sequence

Cheers
Old 7th February 2011, 11:19   #1694
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

is it possible to demonstrate by spelling it out step by step?
am quite foggy still

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
IMHO reversing the Lat./Long sequence

Cheers
Old 7th February 2011, 12:17   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
is it possible to demonstrate by spelling it out step by step?
am quite foggy still
If you pickup coordinated from google maps for Delhi these will be something like

By reversing i mean

77.227707, 28.650223

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks