Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 12:40   #1666
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I have been using MMI for the last 6 months or so. Barring one incident where I was led to the wrong place (opposite direction altogether) the goings been good so far.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:03   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Which is the best place from where I can buy Map My India GPS device in Mumbai?

I would like to have a demo of their device & also the best pricing. Do they send their sales executive at your door step?
Old 30th January 2011, 17:50   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
basis this thread I recently cross-checked for comparison purposes.
Ive got an N8 with all the relevant maps loaded in it.

I find the speed of response and "live stream" per se, far far better in my Garmin than my Nokia, while driving in city or on highway.

also the size of the screen and the way the garmin is mounted on the windshield makes for a far clearer picture with minimum fiddly fuss. trying to use the Nokia the same way as I can use the Garmin is not so user friendly nor so efficient as per my experience.

I would vastly prefer to use the garmin for actual "live" driving requirements. The Nokia I will use happily to pin point my position while perhaps walking about or if I want to figure out how to get general directions in a strange city.
I totally agree. Having used Ovi maps (underwhelming), Sygic (Okay) and Google Maps (great, but no turn-by-turn) extensively on my E71in the Qualis, the experience is at best middling, and at worst dangerous compared to a dedicated Car GPS. Issues range from network requirements for GM to slow GPS acquisition to real difficulty in operating any kind of control while driving. Perhaps Galaxy S or even Galaxy Tab users have an advantage here, but I would totally feel that the best use of a smartphone positioning system is suited for general situational awareness while static / slow, and the dedicated GPS works best for driving.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:21   #1669
BHPian

How does one go about charting a route on a map while driving so that I can follow it while returning? I am using Ovi and Google maps.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:58   #1670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
The optimist in me is still waiting for basic India maps even without the Rich Visual Content after a year of the news being published.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Good news for TomTom users:

TomTom - Tele Atlas Delivers New Map of India with Expanded Coverage and Rich Visual Content

Probably now maps will be available in retail soon.

-BJ
I can safely mention that Tom Tom is still atleast 6 months away from coming on the shelf in terms of their data content.

I have been selected by Tom Tom for testing their india based maps as a user over a 6 month period which is also considered as its beta testing.

Awaiting their device and maps which should reach me in a couple of weeks time.
Old 2nd February 2011, 22:20   #1671
BHPian

Hi,

For users of MMI specifically Vx 240, how does one use the coordinates screen for inputting data and searching? I tried to enter the coordinates of Maidainhalli watchtower which is a black buck sanctuary near Bangalore and the location was not shown on the map.

The online manual has no chapter on this and the Helpdesk at MMI was quite clueless about using this feature.

Rgds

Last edited by indianrunner : 2nd February 2011 at 22:22.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:06   #1672
BHPian

A Bit OT :

Did any of you guys downloaded MGMAPS/GOOGLE MAPS for "bangalore" : Zoom levels 14 and above. Its taking a hell lot of time at my end. If you have posted it on any networking site, kindly let me know

Thanks a ton
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:04   #1673
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

interesting query my friend

even im unable to figure out how this is done on my Garmin Nuvi
tried to do it once using map coordinates which I picked off the web but it didnt work out.

so what I do these days is whenever I go to specific places of my interest which are not listed under the common categories I simply save those places as my favourites. Only glitch is that I dont know how many such favourites I can save - there must be some cap on capacity but I dont know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

For users of MMI specifically Vx 240, how does one use the coordinates screen for inputting data and searching? I tried to enter the coordinates of Maidainhalli watchtower which is a black buck sanctuary near Bangalore and the location was not shown on the map.

The online manual has no chapter on this and the Helpdesk at MMI was quite clueless about using this feature.

Rgds
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:13   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

Rgds
Send me a PM and I can tell where it is! I had been there some time back.
So much for our GPS devices!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2011 at 11:18.
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:01   #1675
BHPian

Sorry guys for the awkward question, but I need to know if I can upload maps on my Garmin Nuvi 255 device I got from the US? If yes how and which one would you recommend? MMI or SatNav?
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:18   #1676

May be I am partial but I like "Satnav Maps" very much. Don't know about others.
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:24   #1677
Senior - BHPian

You can try Satguide first. Its cheaper (~900 Rs). MMI costs ~7k.

For both, you just need to plug supplied SD card in Garmin unit. If they send MicroSD card, you might need to buy an adapter for 100 Rs.
Old 4th February 2011, 03:22   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that it is not just the iPad...

What about tablets as car navigation devices. I guess it would be an expensive solution, but we'd be getting a good size screen to look at, and there might be other possibilities such as music storage.
Old 4th February 2011, 09:06   #1679
Senior - BHPian

These can be pretty good as navigation devices, reason i think so:

1. 7 inch tablet is just right for navigation
2. 1 GHz CPU is more than enough power
3. Garmin is porting Mobile XT to Android, it does not require net, data is stored locally
4. Cost is now down to 12k for android tablets with capacitive screen
Old 4th February 2011, 16:51   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Reading this kind of sent chills down my spine
'Death by GPS' in desert - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks