Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 17:01   #1801
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

If you want to buy MMI maps, then Garmin doesn't make sense as the Garmin maps from MMI cost a lot. Satguide is decent but I found MMI to be much better than Satguide. So the best option would be to buy a Windows CE device and get the MMI maps for 2500/- , or get Sygic with MMI for your Android or iOS phones.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:31   #1802
R_R
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Instead, if I buy the Vx140s, I get the device and the maps. (http://www.mapmyindia.com/gps/products/car/vx140s/box.html). Here would it makes more sense to buy the device loaded with the maps?

EDIT: Vx140s with map costs Rs 10000
I was interested in the MMI Vx140 with preloaded maps too (Rs. 10,000). Has anyone used the Vx140? Any comments on the device?

R_R
Old 12th March 2011, 18:15   #1803
BHPian

I'm looking for a dedicated PND for my Swift Lxi(2006).The information that I've gleaned from this thread reveals that the Garmin GPS devices have superior hardware and (in an indian setting)work best with MMI maps.However,the combination does not seem to be VFM and also MMI seems to have discontinued the association with Garmin thereby making updates a problem
1. Is the MMI Roadpilot the only device in the below Rs.10,000/- range ? I would like a bigger screen.I don't want multimedia capability.
2. Is hyderabad/secunderabad well covered in Version 6 of the MMI maps?
3. Are there any specific showrooms recommended by members in Secunderabad where I may get the device fitted )?
Old 13th March 2011, 07:57   #1804
BHPian

Got my Garmin maps from Satnav yesterday night.
On checking map version from the maps menu, found that this was the August 10 version.
Called them and they sent a link to update to the latest one in 10 mins

So after you get the card, do verify the map version.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:57   #1805
BANNED

@genesis; Two points. Good service, though they should have sent the latest version. Looks like they have some cards in stock and just ship them out.

I saw somewhere that a major upgrade of the Garmin maps is only expected in August. So what you got was probably a minor upgrade. Mine are April 2010, but will upgrade only in August-September.
Old 13th March 2011, 10:25   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Got my Garmin maps from Satnav yesterday night.
On checking map version from the maps menu, found that this was the August 10 version.
Called them and they sent a link to update to the latest one in 10 mins

So after you get the card, do verify the map version.
I got mine two days ago and had a chance to use it in my Garmin only yesterday. Have done about 15 kms so far in the city and it seems to be good. I have not verified the version though. Thanks for the input.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:53   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I was interested in the MMI Vx140 with preloaded maps too (Rs. 10,000). Has anyone used the Vx140? Any comments on the device?

R_R
I had purchased two Vx140's for 15k each, the device was pretty sluggish and touch was not so great. The Vx240 addressed both issues and is a much better model.

I hear that MMI has a new model called Vx140S which is better than the older VX140.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:02   #1808
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
I'm looking for a dedicated PND for my Swift Lxi(2006).The information that I've gleaned from this thread reveals that the Garmin GPS devices have superior hardware and (in an indian setting)work best with MMI maps.However,the combination does not seem to be VFM and also MMI seems to have discontinued the association with Garmin thereby making updates a problem
1. Is the MMI Roadpilot the only device in the below Rs.10,000/- range ? I would like a bigger screen.I don't want multimedia capability.
Instead of searching by product I searched by chipset. I decided I wanted a SIRFAtlas IV chipset based device and found it in the RoadPilot. Earlier I have posted unhappiness with the touchscreen and kludgy menu of MMI RP (I was comparing it with iPod Touch). But I happened to use it for a 1200km trip a few weeks back and now I am quite happy with the purchase. Especially since I got it used for 3 months (as good as new) for 1/2 price on eBay india

I would say the only additional feature you need to look for is bluetooth hands free mobile and an ability to make emergency calls with a 2nd SIM along with a SD card reader and USB data connectivity.

Forget all other glamour features, as you have already and wisely decided.

Cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 17th March 2011 at 18:05.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:55   #1809
BHPian

Satguide on Symbian phones - short review

I had used the trial version of Satguide on my Nokia N86 (Symbian) to check if GPS receiver is working in my phone.
I found it to be working well with the phone. No GPS receiver issues in my N86 as i suspected before

Application usage is restricted to 10 times in trial version.

Listing some +ves and -ves that i found using Satguide:

+ves:
Getting Satellite lock almost instantly
Easy to use interface

-ves:
We are expected to key in the exact address or the correct name of the road for destination search and cannot find our destination as we do in Google maps.
For eg, i was trying to set ITPL as my destination. Searched for ITPL, International Tech etc, but its not getting listed in Search. So i just set the map on drive mode and checked the address once reached ITPL. Its mentioned as 'Unnamed Street'.

Satguide will cost around Rs 990 for Symbian Phones and MMI Rs 1990.

MMI doesnt have a trial version.
From feedbacks in this thread, i got to know that MMI is better updated than Satguide, but someone who used both MMI and Satguide, let me know if MMI is worth for additional Rs 1000 over Satguide.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:08   #1810
BHPian

Recently bought LG P500 for my wife. It has a built in GPS receiver. Also has NDrive application for voice based navigation. India maps come free with the phone. Satellite lock happens within a minute and even more faster when connected to WiFi. Maps are pretty good i must say, specially for locating POI.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:02   #1811
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
I had purchased two Vx140's for 15k each, the device was pretty sluggish and touch was not so great. The Vx240 addressed both issues and is a much better model.

I hear that MMI has a new model called Vx140S which is better than the older VX140.
Thanks Furebo. Actually, I checked the MMI website; its actually Vx 140s, not Vx140. Thinking of going for it, but not made up my mind yet.
Edit: when did you buy the two Vx140 devices?

R_R

Last edited by R_R : 18th March 2011 at 00:03.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:27   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Furebo. Actually, I checked the MMI website; its actually Vx 140s, not Vx140. Thinking of going for it, but not made up my mind yet.
Edit: when did you buy the two Vx140 devices?

R_R
Yes, i meant the same , I purchased my devices about a year back. Do consider buying the Vx240 it is indeed better than the 140.

That said i am currently using the 240 and it works great!
Old 18th March 2011, 10:32   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
I checked the MMI website; its actually Vx 140s, not Vx140.
R_R
What is the difference between MMI Vx140 and Vx140s models? From their website i am not able to figure that out. I am using Vx140 from November-2009.
Did they discontinue Vx140?

And MMI's website price shows Lx130 price is more than Vx140s, though Lx130 is smaller screen.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:41   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
What is the difference between MMI Vx140 and Vx140s models? From their website i am not able to figure that out. I am using Vx140 from November-2009.
Did they discontinue Vx140?

And MMI's website price shows Lx130 price is more than Vx140s, though Lx130 is smaller screen.
As you may know that the Vx140 was very sluggish and did not connect to satellites easily, basically the Vx140 'S' get a faster chip set.

And yes, the older Vx140 seems to be discontinued.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:15   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday ordered India maps from Satguide for Garmin Unit, they have increased the price from Rs.990 to Rs.1140.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks