Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 11:16   #1906
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

For a novice driver like me who has no sense of direction and is bad at roads (even in a city like Mumbai) what would be recommended

1. MMI Vx140S @ around 10K
2. Garmin 265 + Satnav map @ around <10K

Getting garmin and MMI maps is a costly affair.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:39   #1907
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

In major cities and highways both MMI and SatNav work equally well. In terms of quality Garmin may be considered as the Mercedes of the Satnav world!
Old 18th April 2011, 11:49   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
2. Garmin 265 + Satnav map @ around <10K
This is the way to go.

And you can buy Garmin's map around December. At the moment it covers approx 800 cities. With next major update (around December) it would surpass coverage of both MMI and Satguide.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:59   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Thanks NetfreakBombay! I tried the steps and right at the end got this error message in the cmd window. Any ideas what went wrong??
May I ask how you posted the screenshot? I tried using the 'Advanced' post feature, but could not figure out. Ultimately I had to post the screenshot in a word document and attach it to my post.

@NetFreakBombay---I am enjoying MapSource and the flexibiltiy it offers. Only gripe was when I created my own waypoints and saved them on the PC, I did not find them the next time I logged in. Any clues?

Further what is the difference between Routes and Tracks on MapSource?

Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 15:44   #1910
Team-BHP Support

Waypoints are to be stored in a separate file.

For an analogy: Mapsource is like MSWord. After opening word you open a document. Here you will open a GDB file where you would have stored all your personal travel information. Routes, Waypoints, tracks etc.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:29   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is the way to go.

And you can buy Garmin's map around December. At the moment it covers approx 800 cities. With next major update (around December) it would surpass coverage of both MMI and Satguide.
That'd be too late. Don't they have any map updates free for a year or something? I'm planning to get a Garmin device from the US (maybe something around $150)
Old 19th April 2011, 13:49   #1912
Senior - BHPian

@kalpeshc,

Garmin is not available in India at similar prices. Garmin 215 costs approx 6k and you get 1 year free map updates.

Garmin India | Products | On The Road | nüvi® 215 (India)

You can use the same maps that come with device. These maps cover approx 800 cities.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:12   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Waypoints are to be stored in a separate file.

For an analogy: Mapsource is like MSWord. After opening word you open a document. Here you will open a GDB file where you would have stored all your personal travel information. Routes, Waypoints, tracks etc.
Thanks---I did find my file with waypoints. But do you know the difference between routes on tracks on MapSource?
Old 19th April 2011, 14:50   #1914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks---I did find my file with waypoints. But do you know the difference between routes on tracks on MapSource?
Routes are something that you plan on Mapsource based on where and how you want to go.
You can choose Points A and B in mapsource and use the routing tool to customize how the route needs to be. (Ideally this route then needs to transferred to the device and made to follow. But not all devices have this feature)
Tracks are the log of the GPS device, once you have done with your drive. This will collection all the information of the distance you did, altitude profile, speeds, time stamps etc. Its a very good post-facto analysis tool of your drive.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:25   #1915
BHPian

@ NetFreak - Is this the price if bought from india? Garmin india website doesnt qoute any prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
@kalpeshc,

Garmin is not available in India at similar prices. Garmin 215 costs approx 6k and you get 1 year free map updates.

Garmin India | Products | On The Road | nüvi® 215 (India)

You can use the same maps that come with device. These maps cover approx 800 cities.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:01   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is the price in India with Warranty. Try calling up distributor listed on Garmin India site.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:32   #1917
BHPian

@ Netfreak - This seems like a good buy. Will it be good enough coupled with the satguide maps? Or would the basic MMI Road Pilot be a better option?

What about http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ide-maps.html/
for a deal?
Old 20th April 2011, 01:36   #1918
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, its better to buy a unit with warranty since price is same.

Unit comes with Navteq maps for 800 cities. Its hardware is much better than MMI / Satguide devices.

You can add Satguide maps to device if you want to use that instead of Navteq maps.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:40   #1919
BHPian

Also which of these units would have a feature where we can track our route i.e. if I am going to a particular place, i want to track that route so that I can follow that track back home.

The Garmin thing in India does make a lot of sense but unfortunately they offer only 4 products as per their website.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:36   #1920
Senior - BHPian

All these units show current track in a different color. You can follow that to get back to a place where maps do not exist or are not correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks