Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 07:19   #2656
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

One small bit to check out on.

If you are using any heavy item on the lighter socket (like a car fridge) then make sure you get hold of a one-to-two unit of sufficient rating. Almost all units sold on eBay etc. have only a 2A (4max) rating, After burning some money (and my fingers onhot sockets) I finally went back to the car fridge vendor to get a good 10A adapter. He was selling one. Also, many cars today have multiple power sockets, then this will not be an issue.
Old 28th June 2012, 07:58   #2657
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
One small bit to check out on.

If you are using any heavy item on the lighter socket (like a car fridge) then make sure you get hold of a one-to-two unit of sufficient rating. Almost all units sold on eBay etc. have only a 2A (4max) rating, After burning some money (and my fingers onhot sockets) I finally went back to the car fridge vendor to get a good 10A adapter. He was selling one. Also, many cars today have multiple power sockets, then this will not be an issue.
A small query please. In your opinion, typically what is the max duration at any one time, that can be considered safe to keep charging either a mobile OR GPS OR iPod through one of the AC Power sockets in the car?
I know it is a no brainer to unplug it when it shows full charge but one does not always notice this while one is driving about. Hence the query.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:02   #2658
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A small query please. In your opinion, typically what is the max duration at any one time, that can be considered safe to keep charging either a mobile OR GPS OR iPod through one of the AC Power sockets in the car?
I know it is a no brainer to unplug it when it shows full charge but one does not always notice this while one is driving about. Hence the query.
Most of the devices have auto cutoff after they have been fully charged.
I can at least say for my Android Phone, the charging indicator goes off after the phone has been charged 100% .

The device software would detect it automatically and it should not matter whether its getting charged from car socket or wall socket.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:03   #2659
BANNED

As for the GPS just leave it plugged in while driving. I just allow the mobile to charge for about 15-20 minutes after the light goes green. I guess after the cut off a very small current (say 10mA) still trickles in.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:59   #2660
BHPian

Google maps now offer offline functionality. However some limitations are there. Watch this:

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2012 at 20:14. Reason: Hi, when posting a youtube link, just copy-paste it, but if it starts with httpS - please remove the "s"
Old 30th June 2012, 21:46   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please upload the Sygic MMI user manual? I have it on the phone but not able to get it on the PC.

Thanks
Aadi
Old 1st July 2012, 13:05   #2662
Senior - BHPian

This thread appears to be quite advanced for this beginner's query, but still here goes:

The wife wants a GPS unit in the car. She wants one that she can use even when she's alone (ie, no fiddling with mobile phones etc.). I think the units that are mounted on the front windshield are the ones I should look at. My primary interest is in detailed maps of Bangalore and generally, south India (KA/KL/TN, less AP).

1. Who are the vendors I should consider? Map My India and who else? Do all/some have voice navigation ("After 200 metres, turn RIGHT")?
2. What is the map quality of each (detail, frequency of updates about one-ways etc.)?
3. I find Google Maps the best in terms of detail. How do these compare with it? Any with the maps provided by Google?
4. In Bangalore, I find that the GPS is not as reliable as say, Chennai or Mumbai. Is this just me and my mobile (an ancient Nokia E71) or is this a pervasive problem (perhaps due to the presence of a number of defense establishments in Bangalore)?
5. Are these units transferable between cars?
6. Is the windshield attachment permanent, or just some sort of suction thing that I can remove easily? Power for the unit is from the car socket I suppose, but is there battery backup (say if I want to charge my mobile then the unit should not go offline)?
7. How do I typically upgrade the maps etc.? Connect to PC via USB?
8. Is there a dealer in the Indiranagar-Koramangala-Marathahalli-Bellandur etc. area where I can see the units first-hand?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:05   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1. Who are the vendors I should consider? Map My India and who else? Do all/some have voice navigation ("After 200 metres, turn RIGHT")?
All GPS units would provide this feature. Regarding Vendors, MapMyIdia and Garmin are the ones you should consider.

Both of these have detailed coverage for Bangalore and other large cities + Highway coverage. These would cost around 6 - 8k.

My preference is for Garmin, that is because of better hardware that handles poor GPS signals as well.

You can use windshield mount or "friction" mount that keeps GPS unit stationary. You can move mounts + GPS across cars or buy two pairs of mounts.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:29   #2664
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
2. What is the map quality of each (detail, frequency of updates about one-ways etc.)?
3. I find Google Maps the best in terms of detail. How do these compare with it? Any with the maps provided by Google?
4. In Bangalore, I find that the GPS is not as reliable as say, Chennai or Mumbai. Is this just me and my mobile (an ancient Nokia E71) or is this a pervasive problem (perhaps due to the presence of a number of defense establishments in Bangalore)?
5. Are these units transferable between cars?
6. Is the windshield attachment permanent, or just some sort of suction thing that I can remove easily? Power for the unit is from the car socket I suppose, but is there battery backup (say if I want to charge my mobile then the unit should not go offline)?
7. How do I typically upgrade the maps etc.? Connect to PC via USB?
8. Is there a dealer in the Indiranagar-Koramangala-Marathahalli-Bellandur etc. area where I can see the units first-hand?
1. Garmin is the Mercedes of the GPS Industry. Now that they are in India and have LM tagged units from under 10k they are my choice. MMI maps are a bit better at the moment but not for long imho. Garmin maps are from Navteq the world biggest. MMI lifetime maps are 2 years or so,i.e. lifetime is a misnomer.
2.Both Garmin & MM are good for major cities. Of course Google should be the quickest to respond to one way road changes.
3.See above. Google are planning to release maps usable off-line.
4.My son was in Bangalore a few years ago and used Google maps on his phone throughout the 15 days there. No problems. I think it was an htc Hero.
5.No issues here.
6.It is a strong suction cup. Garmin also gives a disc with a sticker which can be fixed, and then the sucker put on that.
7.Yes, USB connection and then a download and install.
8. There must be. Just check on their websites.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:52   #2665
BHPian

I have a Garmin nuvi 1490T brought from the US. I would like to buy an India map for it. I explored the available options.

1. MMI - Costs Rs.7000. But their website does not talk about downloading future map updates for Garmin devices. We obviously cannot spend Rs.7000 for each map update.

2. Garmin Navteq map for India sold from Garmin US website for $99.99. I believe I can download one more map update from the Garmin India site because the map version on the US and India websites are the same (2012.20).

3. SatGuide maps for Garmin - Costs Rs.1990. But the number of POIs and Cities are way too less compared to MMI or Garmin. So did not opt for this.

Considering the above, I am thinking to buy the Garmin Navteq map. If anybody has prior experience with buying and using the Gamrin Navteq map, please share your inputs.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:34   #2666
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
1. MMI - Costs Rs.7000. But their website does not talk about downloading future map updates for Garmin devices. We obviously cannot spend Rs.7000 for each map update.

2. Garmin Navteq map for India sold from Garmin US website for $99.99. I believe I can download one more map update from the Garmin India site because the map version on the US and India websites are the same (2012.20).

3. SatGuide maps for Garmin - Costs Rs.1990. But the number of POIs and Cities are way too less compared to MMI or Garmin. So did not opt for this.
Did you also not consider the cheap (under 10k) LM 4.3" India specific unit of Garmin.This will be the cheapest option even at one year plus. I have a Nüvi265WT with SatGuide. It is quite good. I bought a Nüvi 2465LM a few months back. Now it seems that Satguide are unable to release maps since last year for Garmin, probably due to some compiler incompatibility.

As for file size the Satguide is about 450MB, MMI 650MB and Navteq 900+MB. So this says it all. aaik as of today small town coverage is probably the best in MMI but I am sure Navteq will become better, or at least as good in a year or so. Why not check on a Nokia mobile to see the current quality of Navteq (used by Nokia) maps.
Old 6th July 2012, 23:09   #2667
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs sgiitk. Considering the future product support, availability and compatibility, I chose to buy the Garmin navteq map as we do not know when MMI or SatGuide will stop selling Garmin maps.

I went ahead and bought the Garmin map for $99.99 and opted for a direct download. It asked me to install a Garmin Communicator plugin, then the Garmin webpage automatically detected my GPS device connected through USB. The Garmin installation webpage was nice enough to say that my existing GPS device had insufficient space, so I inserted an empty microSD card to the GPS device and the webpage was able to detect it. The download was around 600+ MB and the install was smooth.

I restarted the device and it automatically picked the India map based on GPS coordinates (given that the device also had an US map). I went to the terrace to quickly check the basic functionalities, everything was fine. I am now waiting for the upcoming drive next week to test the map.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:33   #2668
BHPian

I got this SMS from Satguide today.
Upon enquiry, they confirmed having launched the new maps for Garmin devices.

Quote:
Satguide Map updated map released, July 2012, update of major cities, only 990 rs. call 09849887333
Old 12th July 2012, 22:47   #2669
BHPian

One of the best experience i've had is with a friends Samsung Galaxy S2 loaded with Sygic Aura 11 & Mapmyindia maps!

Quite honestly i was surprised and blown away by the accuracy. The Sygic interface is by far the best that i have seen and experienced when it came to GPS devices (dedicated devices or on smartphones) and the maps are just brilliant! The only drawback we experienced was a slight tendency to reroute (during an active navigation route in progress and not in the planning stage) via longer options irrespective of the type of route options selected (economic/fastest/shortest)

Frankly.. the SGS 2 with the Samsung Vehicle Car dock kit coupled with the Sygic Aura + MMI map combo... should serve any GPS needs.

What i havent yet experienced or have heard from anyone in detail about, is using the ipad 2/3 as a navigation device (the wifi+3G/cellular models have GPS capability). I did have a friend who once mentioned briefly in passing that he used his ipad 2 to navigate around Pune successfully.. but since we met for a rather short time i could not get into more details with him.

Ideally the ipad (and if Apple keeps true to rumors of a ipad Mini) would make for one of the best GPS navigation device possible! - me thinks

Last edited by Vandit : 12th July 2012 at 22:49.
Old 13th July 2012, 08:33   #2670
BANNED

@bnzjon; I also got it. I was not willing to wait that long so got hold of the Navteq. We went to a temple near Kundapur (I am currently in Manipal). Excellent guidance from Navteq. We set it for shortest distance on the way back,and even guided us correctly through the back streets into Manipal. Quite amazing, not a single recalculate. Though I must say it was not showing much detail on the way - could have been the 1.2km resolution or did not have the details. Only it was still showing the road as NH17 and not NH65. Also, had a look at Sygesic and they even are better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks