Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 15:44   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys

One quick question. I have not visited this thread for nearly a year, so I don't really know if Satyam has released any update last year for its Garmin maps. I bought my navigator card from them in April, 2011, and was told that a free update was round the corner.

Any updates?
Old 16th August 2012, 17:18   #2702
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

The GDR10 camera is priced at Rs.7500. The 2565LM priced at Rs.18,900 and 2465LM at Rs.15,500. The 40LM is Rs.8450 and 50LM is Rs.9990, just bought a 50LM for a friend.

The 2565LM is seriously overpriced, the support for GDR10 is the only reason to consider it. But looking at the total cost of 26400, my initial enthu is eroding. I am going to think about it very hard. Wife already threw a tantrum hearing the price.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:23   #2703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Maybe someone has answered this before, but considering new product launches happening every month, which is the cheapest Android tablet with GPS available at the moment in India?

I am having a thought of using Sygic for maps (now that it allows up to 5 devices to share the same license).
I am looking at something within 10K if available and with 5-7" screen (nothing bigger).
I am in the same situation. Looking to buy the cheapest android tablet with GPS (7 inches screen).
Please let me know if you get the answer from elsewhere.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:39   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have Nokia E6 Belle and keep software & India map updated, and have used few times. Most of the time, I keep it in Offline mode (internet data disabled). Few days back I was to travel Thailand (Bangkok and Phuket), and before leaving India I downloaded the Thailand maps on the device. But there in both cities, it never locked the signal even after 10 minutes. Due to the high data charges in International Roaming, I had keep it in offline. Any idea of this behavior ?
friends, awaiting a response to my query.
Old 16th August 2012, 19:13   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
But there in both cities, it never locked the signal even after 10 minutes. Due to the high data charges in International Roaming, I had keep it in offline. Any idea of this behavior ?
This is Normal. It can take up to 30 minutes in a new country and is not related to Map data at all.

You can enable data roaming for 2 - 3 minutes to speed up GPS lock. This way cell phone can send ID of nearest GSM "tower" to Nokia's server to get approx location.

For me, Nokia 5130 takes around 30 minutes when I land in NY (and in India on return). After that, it is usual 2 - 3 minutes.

Garmin takes 5 - 10 minutes for first time.
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:18   #2706
Senior - BHPian

I have upgraded to the latest version of map on my VX140. POI has literally become useless...In earlier version, you have option to choose

Hotel ~ Budget Hotels or Premium Hotels
ATM's
Community Halls
Car service centers
Hospitals
etc

In the latest version, when you view POI for any particular region, just they list down 100 hospitals...I cannot find anything that I used to do with the earlier version (guess thats 6.1). Anyone?
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:38   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

One quick question. I have not visited this thread for nearly a year, so I don't really know if Satyam has released any update last year for its Garmin maps. I bought my navigator card from them in April, 2011, and was told that a free update was round the corner.

Any updates?
Bumping up my query once again!
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:36   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Satyam has released any update last year for its Garmin maps. I bought my navigator card from them in April, 2011, and was told that a free update was round the corner.

Any updates?
What is Satyam, do you mean SatGuide? SatGuide has released new maps couple of months back.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:24   #2709
BANNED

One small query - which of the various jokers have the Yamuna Expressway on their maps?
Old 24th August 2012, 10:39   #2710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One small query - which of the various jokers have the Yamuna Expressway on their maps?
Google God has the yamuna expressway mapped. None of the other usual suspects have it though!
Old 24th August 2012, 15:32   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is Normal. It can take up to 30 minutes in a new country and is not related to Map data at all.

You can enable data roaming for 2 - 3 minutes to speed up GPS lock. This way cell phone can send ID of nearest GSM "tower" to Nokia's server to get approx location.

For me, Nokia 5130 takes around 30 minutes when I land in NY (and in India on return). After that, it is usual 2 - 3 minutes.

Garmin takes 5 - 10 minutes for first time.
thanks a lot for your inputs; Im relieved that my mobile is fine!
So if I had taken along a dedicated GPS device with that country maps loaded, will it be locked faster than mobile one - just because of better chipset ? or any other reason.
Old 24th August 2012, 15:52   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is Satyam, do you mean SatGuide? SatGuide has released new maps couple of months back.
Yup, that is the one. Any link or url to download the updates?
Old 24th August 2012, 22:07   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that is the one. Any link or url to download the updates?
URL : GPS Navigation India | Personal Navigation Device(PND) | Turn by Turn Navigation
Old 24th August 2012, 22:26   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. But I have some questions:-
  1. Is it a paid upgrade? I remember I was promised one free upgrade when I bought the map in April, 2011
  2. Is it a generic upgrade or is it specifically for Garmin devices? Mine is a Garmin Nuvi 265 WT.
Old 24th August 2012, 22:47   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a paid upgrade? I remember I was promised one free upgrade when I bought the map in April, 2011
Not sure, you can call customer care to confirm.

Quote:
Is it a generic upgrade or is it specifically for Garmin devices? Mine is a Garmin Nuvi 265 WT.
You need to specify that upgrade is for Garmin while ordering, later you receive a link for downloading .img file.

Most Viewed