Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 15:06   #2731
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I thought you were using a Garmin device with Satguide. Did you change later?
I had a 265WT which is with my son. I bought myself a 2465LM for the lifetime maps. With Garmin one off for $100 or lifetime for Rs.15,900. I know what I got!
Old 5th September 2012, 15:16   #2732
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
One of the most anticipated voice navigation will be available in india.
This is make standalone GPS redundant.
A great news for all travellers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I checked and it is working great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Just checked. Along with navigation, the live traffic information has also been enabled for following cities.
Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai.

And it's available in Desktop version of google map as well.
Can you please elaborate on what you are referring to? And on what devices does it run?
Old 5th September 2012, 15:44   #2733
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Google Voice navigation in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Not true. Sygic works fine without any data connection.
<---at self.

Sorry, my post was so unclear. Yes, I know Sygic works completely off line, which is why I bought it.

What I meant, and totally failed to say was that Google Navigation/routing does not work with Google offline maps unless a data link is active.

Total failure of expression on my part: I think I must have left a whole line out between brain and post.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yeah, relax. Sygic is kickass stuff and it works brilliantly. You've bought a quality piece of software that WILL serve you well !

Yes, thanks for the reassurance on that. Sygic looks like the better navigation tool overall.

*oh wait... I meant to split the quote and forgot. Still stupid.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th September 2012 at 15:48.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:46   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Can you please elaborate on what you are referring to? And on what devices does it run?
He was reffering to google maps for Android. If you have android phone with google maps, please update Google maps to get latest updated one with traffic updates.

Last edited by HighOctane : 5th September 2012 at 15:48.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:16   #2735
BHPian

Guys,

I have an Iphone 4, would it be wiser to buy the sygic app available in the istore ? Is it worth ? Moreover, I have read about the google maps update today, would try that too !!

Any other app available in istore ? I use waze sometimes for driving to nearby places and its awesome.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:15   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec
Guys,

I have an Iphone 4, would it be wiser to buy the sygic app available in the istore ? Is it worth ? Moreover, I have read about the google maps update today, would try that too !!

Any other app available in istore ? I use waze sometimes for driving to nearby places and its awesome.
Please wait till next week when Apple will be launching iOS 6 along with new iPhone. Apparently new mapping application is coming on iOS replacing google maps.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:05   #2737
Senior - BHPian

Google maps now shows traffic update with voice prompts. Have seen on the blackberry and iPhone. Is this available across all cities or only bangalore ?
Old 7th September 2012, 11:07   #2738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini
Google maps now shows traffic update with voice prompts. Have seen on the blackberry and iPhone. Is this available across all cities or only bangalore ?
Major Metros. Don't exactly remember which ones but delhi is on too. It's there on the android thread.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:24   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Pune and Hyderabad as per report in the Hindu. So it does cover all major metros except Kolkota.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/int...cle3863235.ece
Old 12th September 2012, 17:13   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Importing routes from GPX file into Nuvi 205W

Guys,

Is there any way I can import a route/track from a GPX file into my Nuvi 205W? As far as I could figure out, I can only import waypoints. This appears to be a limitation of the device. Need a confirmation from the stalwarts out here.

Thanks in advance...
Old 13th September 2012, 17:30   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I would mention it here as well.
Sygic for India is 50% off for limited time.
Grab your license for around Rs. 1450 only.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:59   #2742
BHPian

Guys need some urgent help here.

I am looking at the new vento and have the option of going in for the Garmin Volkswagen navigation unit with bluetooth and reverse camera at around 28K extra.
Although the specific garmin model is not known at the moment I strongly suspect it is the 2565LM.

I have three options:
A. Go for the garmin unit (28K)
B. Get a smartphone like Samsung Galaxy Note II and get navigation app. (40K minus 28K)
C. Get a In dash unit with navigation. (40K minus 28K)

Now with option A (garmin) :-
Pros:-
1.Greater accuracy.
2. Lifetime map upgrades.
Cons-
I foresee that the most use of this unit would be mainly for reverse camera and occasional hands free bluetooth. Navigation use would be once in a while. Battery life of around 2-2.5 hrs is quite low (but then you also have a car charger!). Charging would be frequently required. In normal daily use, I would have to physically switch on the unit whenever I want to use the reverse camera or use bluetooth. In contrast an in dash navigation unit would be more convenient as would be always on (for music, bluetooth etc.)

But another point is that I would have to look down at the navigation unit every time I want to see the map. This is not the case with a smartphone or garmin unit mounted on the windshield. Visibility of map while driving is much better in the latter case.

The question now is:-
Is it better to save the 28K and buy Galaxy Note II instead (and spend another 2K for an app like MMI or other navigation app with maps)
Or spend the 28K and buy the bundled garmin unit?
Or save 28K and buy an in-dash navigation unit like Caska or Kenwood later - extra 12K cost(total cost around 40K)?

Last edited by surd_biker : 14th September 2012 at 11:01.
Old 17th September 2012, 19:55   #2743
BHPian

Friends, I need help with this -
I went through most of 183 pages of this thread, but its still confusing for me. I had zeroed on Garmin Nuvi 50 LM , but confused again after reading some review on it. I have never used a dedicate GPS car unit till now but have occasionally used my smartphone to make out where I am and just to check routes and distances. I need help from somebody who knows about this and needs are as follows -
1. I need a GPS unit to be exclusively used during my long journeys in my new Skoda Laura. Most of my journeys are inside Karnataka, into Kerala, sometimes into Tamil nadu and Goa.
2. I don't need Bluetooth / reverse camera/ FM./video etc.
3. The device needs to have decent display - 4-5 inch will do
4. Should have reasonably good battery back up (I guess most have max 2-3 hours? of course its not important when in car but it is when I take it out)
5. Should have the best possible maps of India, especially south India.
6. Should be portable enough to carry it to hotel room so that I can plan routes in advance - battery backup important for this purpose too.
7. Preferably should have wall charger as well as vehicle charger (Garmin Nuvi LM50 misses wall charger I heard)
8. Battery back up (whatever best available) also important if I take it around as pedestrian.
9. Best possible support as map upgrades (I heard Garmin comes with 4 updates / yr x free for 4 yrs)

Now I guess Garmin Nuvi lm50 is ok but read from a review on this forum that battery lasts 1.5 hrs max. The salesperson from whom I was about to order said 3-4 hours ! (very optimistic!). Garmin SA said instead of wall charger, I could plug the USB cable to charge through a laptop. But may not carry a laptop all the time.
I also dont want to buy another tablet / smartphone for this purpose as I have 2 smartphones and dont want one more and also out of state, I will attract roaming charges.

I don't want higher end ones with other unwanted features which I mentioned above.
Please suggest some alternatives / is Garmin Nuvi LM50 my best compromise?
Old 17th September 2012, 19:59   #2744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I don't want higher end ones with other unwanted features which I mentioned above.
Please suggest some alternatives / is Garmin Nuvi LM50 my best compromise?
When you are driving, you will always have to keep it powered. That is the safest option. From that point, battery life does not matter. It mainly matters for the trekking type GPS devices.

So I would say not to worry too much on the battery life. Buy either MMI, Satguide maps. They are good across India. Not much experience with Garmin's own maps. Hence cant comment on that.
Old 17th September 2012, 20:08   #2745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Buy either MMI, Satguide maps. They are good across India. Not much experience with Garmin's own maps. Hence cant comment on that.
Thanks ampere for the suggestion!
I wanted opinion on the navigation unit. Regarding maps as you said I think MMI is my choice. Now if Garmin's hardware unit is decisively better than MMI's own navigation units, then I thought I would go for a Garmin unit and install MMI maps in that (but this will turn out more expensive I guess).
So now browsing through MMI website to choose a device.
Thanks again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks