Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 11:43   #3481
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post

I used it within bangalore on saturday and sunday...i am not very impressed with the way it guides me. it also heats up very badly.
Quote:
..Will it be useful during my long trips ? my only worry is due to extensive heat generated will it damage the device?
You may try Google Maps on a smartphone for in-city navigation.
I find the amount of information available there to be much better.
With offline option of storage of maps being allowed, this works great now.

Regarding the heating up issue with your device, I have been using Garmin which doesn't heat up that much.
Since its a specialized device, it should sustain for longer periods.
While my phone running GM app for navigation gets fairly heated up within an hour's usage.

So I use the combination of them, Garmin for longer drives and GM for city navigation whenever required.
Old 21st December 2015, 11:54   #3482
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

sadly my phone is windows and no offline feature for maps

so i better keep this MMI device right?
Old 21st December 2015, 13:25   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
sadly my phone is windows and no offline feature for maps

so i better keep this MMI device right?
You are missing something. HERE maps available on windows phone is one of the best offline apps on the market. It is free and the maps can be downloaded to the SD card to make it into an offline nav system. It is as accurate if not superior to MMI.

Last edited by adnaps : 21st December 2015 at 13:25. Reason: correction
Old 21st December 2015, 14:17   #3484
BANNED

yes i have used this before with in city, but phone battery drains in no time
Old 21st December 2015, 14:23   #3485
BANNED

my only dilemma is .....Is it worth spending money on a navigator device?
Old 21st December 2015, 22:09   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to purchase the Nuvi 42LM and use Openstreet maps. Few questions:
1. How easy is it to get Openstreet maps on garmin devices? do we need to root it?
2. How reliable is Openstreet as compared to MMI? Dont plan to drive to a lot to off beat/interior locales
3. Remember reading that Garmin products from LM series can be updated to MMI maps? Can someone who uses MMI on Garmin please chime in?
4. for 6K INR, is this a good buy? Asking because the MMI Lx345 is currently retailing at 6K and based on the hardware feedback, I am a little apprehensive about investing 6K on a MMI device

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd December 2015, 04:42   #3487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
1. How easy is it to get Openstreet maps on garmin devices? do we need to root it?
i have been using Openstreet maps on my Garmin Etrex for the last three years here in Delhi and surrounding up to about a radius of 350 km around Delhi.

For my purpose, touring on my classic bullet it is fine. It provides sufficient level of detail. I can’t compare as I’m not familiar with the other brands. But I would imagine they are somewhat more detailed maps.

But then again, Openstreet is free of charge!

Jeroen
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:39   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
It is as accurate if not superior to MMI.
Let me dispute that
Map my India, in my experience, has one of the most comprehensive database of Places that I have experienced in Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Hyderabad, Bangalore.

Here maps/Bing maps do not come close. Neither does Google (but Google does appear to be better than Here/Bing).

How do I know this?
I have this bad habit of searching the same place in all three apps. Just for fun's sake. Every time.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:55   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to purchase the Nuvi 42LM and use Openstreet maps.
Nuvi 42LM would come with lifetime maps support, and that is HERE maps you get which in my opinion are better than Openstreet maps.
You may do quick trial of HERE maps, its app is freely available.

Otherwise, I concur with alpha1's ranking of various maps' detailing.
Old 10th January 2016, 10:24   #3490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Nuvi 42LM has provision to add only ONE via point unlike in some other higher versions.
As such no idea how to proceed reg route planning/alternate methods.
Thats a difficult situation then. One via point is certainly not what you need. In that case use Google to make your route and use the device to follow.

To enable that at least you will need way to create way points for your device. For that alone you will need to install the maps on your device to the PC on basecamp.
Old 10th January 2016, 14:48   #3491
BHPian

Downloaded and installed BaseCamp software v 4.5.2.Connected Garmin and can see CN India NTU 2015.40-Here map(as in Garmin) displayed under Library.Exploring the SW.
Now I need to create a route and save/transfer to device.
Old 10th January 2016, 14:56   #3492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Downloaded and installed BaseCamp software v 4.5.2.Connected Garmin and can see CN India NTU 2015.40-Here map(as in Garmin) displayed under Library.Exploring the SW.
Now I need to create a route and save/transfer to device.
You can see the map in Basecamp. On that map you can create waypoints and routes. But the device will not recognise the route, when transferred. Transfer all the waypoints to the device. They will show-up under "favourites".

Create a route in Basecamp by using waypoints just to get a feel. And then in the device, feed these waypoints, one by one to cover to the next point.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2016 at 15:01.
Old 10th January 2016, 15:46   #3493
BHPian

Thanks ampere. I am proceeding accordingly.I am plotting Mysore/Blr/Pondy via the tried and tested Krishnagiri/Arcot/Vandavasi Tindivanam route. Let me see how it pans
Old 21st February 2016, 13:55   #3494
BHPian

Re: Nuvi 55LM india maps?

I have got a Garmin Nuvi 55LM with NA maps installed. Are there any compatible india maps which is available for this device, online?

Please advise.
Old 21st February 2016, 15:12   #3495
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nuvi 55LM india maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have got a Garmin Nuvi 55LM with NA maps installed. Are there any compatible india maps which is available for this device, online?
By NA I hope you mean North America?

For India

- You can buy the Map My India maps which come in an SD card.
- For free maps; look at OSM maps (Open Street Maps).

Having made the points above, MMI are the best maps for India. (As far as my experience goes).

Most Viewed