Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 00:06   #3406
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
... Is there any source other than Google maps that works in offline mode?
Venu Sir,

I was playing around with Here maps after seeing your earlier post in the evening, and they seem to be working OK in offline mode.
Need to do a field test though, lets see tomorrow if possible.
Old 12th July 2015, 12:50   #3407
J.Ravi

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Nowadays, I am using the free trial version of Navi Maps of MapMyIndia [MMI] on my smartphone for intra-city riding on my Thunderbird 500.
After exhausting the free trial version of Navi Maps and seeing the popularity of Here offline maps, I downloaded and started using the free Here maps using my Android-based smartphone. But, I am not happy with that. I had to go by the default route suggested by Here. Unlike my MapMyIndia navigator or Navi Maps or Google Maps, I could not change the route by inserting via points or by dragging and dropping the route alignment. The web version of Here has this feature, but not the mobile version.

I may eventually buy the Pro Guidance Navi Maps costing ₹ 599.99 as MapMyIndia coolly removed 3.5" PND Lx130 from the list for any future map updates.

Old 12th July 2015, 14:45   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
... I could not change the route by inserting via points or by dragging and dropping the route alignment. The web version of Here has this feature, but not the mobile version.
Oh .. I have been trying out offline Here maps, and yeah .. while deciding routes it doesn't allow your own preferences and/or via points.
That looks a major problem in otherwise neat interface.
Old 12th July 2015, 17:38   #3409
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
while deciding routes it doesn't allow your own preferences and/or via points.
There is a roundabout way to do that. First select the places in 'Drive' mode and save them in 'Collections' list. Then, drive to the first location. After reaching the first location, select the second location and drive there, then, the third location, so on and so forth. Since it is free, one has to undergo that torture. Not so in case of Pro Guidance Navi Maps, costing ₹ 599.99.

Old 13th July 2015, 15:05   #3410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
... I am vacationing in Langkawi this month from 18th. I'd like to have a route map for guidance, as I'll be renting a car for a few days. ...
You won't need one. Ask the rental company to give you a paper map of Langkawi, if there isn't one in the glove box.

Langkawi is a very small place with one road going around the island, connecting the tourist spots and beaches. The older part of town is quite dense, and better navigated on foot. The Eagle statue - the most visited spot - is easy enough to find: it is at the end of the main road!

The beaches are lovely, and the food shacks and restaurants serve up good food. Enjoy your stay!
Old 13th July 2015, 15:16   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You won't need one. Ask the rental company to give you a paper map of Langkawi, if there isn't one in the glove box.

Langkawi is a very small place with one road going around the island, connecting the tourist spots and beaches. The older part of town is quite dense, and better navigated on foot. The Eagle statue - the most visited spot - is easy enough to find: it is at the end of the main road!

The beaches are lovely, and the food shacks and restaurants serve up good food. Enjoy your stay!
Thanks for your advice. Feel relieved now! I do have a downloaded Here map of Malaysia though on my Lumia. I'll keep that as a backup. I'm also planning to go for a local Sim with 3G for the 6 days I am in MYS.

As regards using Google maps in offline mode, I discovered that there are no offline maps for entire Malaysia on Google maps.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:49   #3412
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to update that Here Maps worked like a charm in Langkawi and KL during my trip last week, even in offline mode.The only thing missing was voice-guided navigation. But when I used the phone with a Malaysia SIM with data connection set to 'On' position, even that sprang to life. For those who are interested, I got a Maxis Hotlink pre-paid traveller's sim for 20.6 RM, that packs 400 mb data for a week, with 5 RM of talk time. The talk time can be used for calls upto 40 minutes to India.

Google sadly did not have any offline maps for entire Malaysia, so I could not use my iPad for navigation.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:25   #3413
BHPian

Hi,

Need help from GPS gurus.

My car came fitted in with a Domain DM-DV4768 NVI system. This comes with a micro SD card based navigation system. Although the box says it has a Sygic map on it, the one installed my car has an IGO Primo map (for NZ and Australia).

The map and the GPS/Navigation system is working all fine. However, when I tried to update the map via Naviextras.com, I found the card is not getting connected to the update tool provided by the site and installed on my machine. Even though I can access the micro SD card and its data via my computer its just getting recognized by the tool.

Did try Google and realized that most probable reason is that the navigation system sitting on my card is not the official one. I got more assured of this when I found that Domain is not there in the list of supported providers on Naviextras.com or IGO site.

Now, I don't want to run pillar(car dealer) to post(Domain customer support, if it exists at all) for a navigation system that is working fine and so far, has not landed me in any trouble in strict Auckland traffic or weather.

What I wanted to understand - is it possible to get any other navigation map provider's map(for example, Sygic or Garmin) to work with my Domain Head Unit?

I mean, can I simply take the same micro SD card and start using another service provider? Or, can I buy a new Micro SD card from such navigation providers and use it instead of this IGO Primo system? I don't mind paying as long as I can get my hands on genuine stuff. Problem is I am not seeing any option to buy just a micro SD card from Garmin or Sygic and just plug n play. Sygic site is not showing an option to buy a card at all while Garmin cards look to be specifically for Garmin devices.

Like I said - any other brand will do too, as long as its original ware, works in New Zealand and can be updated.

As I understand the box support Windows CE.

Yes, we do have Google maps on our smart phone and I do use it a lot(while walking or when public transportation) but, want to save my phone battery and data for better use in car while I still have a Head Unit that can do navigation for me.

Any suggestions bhp-ians?

Cheers!!
Old 31st July 2015, 08:00   #3414
J.Ravi

Navi Maps In Lenovo K3 Note

I have Navi Maps in my Lenovo K3 Note. I found the following niggles during my yesterday's Chennai>Pondy>Chennai trip:

1. Whenever the smartphone is paired with XUV 500 through the Bluetooth, the voice guidance ceases to work. When disconnected, the voice guidance works brilliantly!

2. Within the city limits and urban limits, the close-ups of the maps are displayed by zooming in. During the highway runs away from these limits, the maps zoom out to the bird's eye view from the top!

3. During incoming calls, the maps disappear and the called ID is displayed.

I am yet to test Navi Maps in the smartphone during a long ride in my Thunderbird 500.

Old 4th August 2015, 18:08   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Nokia has offloaded its mapping and location services business HERE to the German car consortium comprising of AUDI, BMW, and Daimler.
HERE, was earlier known as NAVTEQ, Ovi, and Nokia maps. Considering that Nokia acquired NAVTEQ for around 5.7 billion euros in 2007, and then burned plenty of cash to improve it, the German auto-makers got themselves a bargain deal for EUR 2.8 billion.

With the sale of devices division (phones) to Microsoft and mapping business to AUDI, BMW, and Daimler, the Finnish brand now only holds two divisions under its fold: Nokia Networks and Nokia Technologies. The Finns are focusing on the former. Its recent $16.6 billion acquisition Alcatel-Lucent is a definite proof of that. Nokia Technologies focuses on products targeted at consumers and professionals. Take for instance, the Nokia N1 tablet and OZO virtual reality camera.
HERE maps have been popular on smartphones due to its offline voice-guided sat-nav service. Initially, a Nokia exclusive software, HERE maps later made it to Android, iOS, and even Tizen.
Existing app users need not worry about this deal, as the consortium promises to serve the HERE maps app users.
Old 5th August 2015, 09:13   #3416
BHPian

I was wondering the reason behind the car companies buying the HERE maps. Map is not even a essential component of a car. But as car companies increasingly focusing on trends like connected car and self driving cars, maps seems to be playing an important role.

Here is an analysis on why they bought the HERE maps.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:39   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Do the Nokia "Here Maps" on android need an internet connection for routing ? I set the maps to offline , then I tried to find a route from Bangalore to Mysore.

It told me that I needed an online connection to find the route. I have the map for Karnataka downloaded on my phone.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:44   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Do the Nokia "Here Maps" on android need an internet connection for routing ?
I think it's not required if you have the maps downloaded on your phone. Have you enabled the 'Location' settings ?

Last edited by Grand Drive : 12th August 2015 at 19:46.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:21   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
I think it's not required if you have the maps downloaded on your phone. Have you enabled the 'Location' settings ?
I did not find a "Location" setting but my GPS is turned on and the maps can locate my current location properly. It can search for Mysore right, but when I try a route to mysore it fails with this message :
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20150812201716.png  

Old 12th August 2015, 20:54   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I did not find a "Location" setting but my GPS is turned on and the maps can locate my current location properly. It can search for Mysore right, but when I try a route to mysore it fails with this message :
If GPS is enabled and able to locate you that should be fine.

The primary reason for routing to Mysore to not work would be that you don't have all the required maps downloaded properly on your unit.
You may confirm this by connecting to a wifi connection and then trying to route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks