Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 00:33   #2626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra
What if my phone does not have a SD card and runs only on internal memory (assuming enough internal memory to be available)?
Sygic maps are available for iphone too.
That models your requirement of a phone with only internal memory.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:38   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Is it going to available for all Android phones or will it be available with ICS only? I am in the process of buying an Android phone.. so would be interested to know.
As per announcement, it should work on Froyo and above. Google released a version of maps for Froyo that works with vector data (in addition to image tiles for display). I think this was released couple of months ago.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:59   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

^^
Thanks for your replies. Hoping for offline Google maps and navigation to be available soon. Otherwise, will go for MMI maps!
Old 19th June 2012, 21:19   #2629

Folks,

Need some help here. I bought a garmin nuvi 205w from UK and satnav maps along with it.
However when I try to download a new firmware for the device my laptop doesnt recognise it. I tried using the webupdate and other stuff from garmin website but no luck at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 11:28   #2630
BANNED

Looks like you do not have the drivers for it. Do you have Garmin Communicator installed? Also, if you are on Firefox make sure it is compatible with Garmin Communicator. I guess you must have you registered the unit on mygarmin.com. Once this is done it works pretty seamlessly once connected on USB. My 265WT never gives trouble. This was bought in the US.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th June 2012 at 11:30.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:55   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuB View Post
...a garmin nuvi 205w ...when I try to download a new firmware for the device my laptop doesnt recognise it...
Try using a different USB cable. Happened with mine (Nuvi 760) too. Cable was faulty.

-BJ
Old 20th June 2012, 20:59   #2632

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks like you do not have the drivers for it. Do you have Garmin Communicator installed? Also, if you are on Firefox make sure it is compatible with Garmin Communicator. I guess you must have you registered the unit on mygarmin.com. Once this is done it works pretty seamlessly once connected on USB. My 265WT never gives trouble. This was bought in the US.
Well I downloaded the communicator. It is still not recognising. the device is booting up multiple times once I connect to my laptop. Dont know what to do next. I got a new cable as well.

:-(
Old 20th June 2012, 21:46   #2633
BHPian

Just downloaded MMI (single upgrade of maps). MMI instructed me to take a backup just in case. My Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca 3.5B connected via a mini USB cable to my PC, I started the copying. Horror of horrors it said 2.5hrs and seemed to take forever. I dug around the net and found something called Teracopy! Amazing software, that did the entire process of copying 250+Mb at 8Mb/s in a flash! Strongly recommend to those who are facing similar issue. Teracopy is available at TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector and is free. It seems to be for Windows only.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:04   #2634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuB View Post
Well I downloaded the communicator. It is still not recognising. the device is booting up multiple times once I connect to my laptop. Dont know what to do next. I got a new cable as well.

:-(
Do the following:

- Install Mapsource (The garmin S/W)
- Connect the Gatmin PND through the USB cable
- If you can see that PND is connected, then as @SG said its a question of Garmin Communicator
- If you dont see this getting connected, then its a cable issue (Mapsource would have the USB driver for the Garmin)
- Try a cable with a ferrite bead (Cable where you would see a bump like projection)
Old 21st June 2012, 10:52   #2635
BANNED

@ManuB; If it is repeatedly booting then something is happening. You may try through the Garmin India or UK site, www.garmin.co.in;and I guess Garmin | United Kingdom | Home.

Have you tried registering it. Create / open an id in mygarmin.com (I found .tw also ultimately drops you here). Then connect the unit. You should be able to register it. Other things only follow after this. Also, try out ampere's ideas. Do let us know.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:33   #2636
BHPian

Just upgraded my SatNav device to their version 10. The software UI is miles ahead of last version. I found it very intuitive and much easier than the earlier version. The graphics are also much nicer. Now I need to check their map content with this release and compare with MMI. I am hoping that they have better map content now. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:55   #2637
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Do the following:

- Install Mapsource (The garmin S/W)
- Connect the Gatmin PND through the USB cable
- If you can see that PND is connected, then as @SG said its a question of Garmin Communicator
- If you dont see this getting connected, then its a cable issue (Mapsource would have the USB driver for the Garmin)
- Try a cable with a ferrite bead (Cable where you would see a bump like projection)
Ampere!
Can you help me on this please?
Ive downloaded the latest Europe NT for my Garmin nuvi 215w
I already have the old version in the system plus an SD card which has MMI India maps.
Now I seem unable to load the NT maps recently bought.
How do I do it?
Do I need to buy a blank SD card?

Please help!
Old 21st June 2012, 19:11   #2638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ampere!
Can you help me on this please?
Ive downloaded the latest Europe NT for my Garmin nuvi 215w
I already have the old version in the system plus an SD card which has MMI India maps.
Now I seem unable to load the NT maps recently bought.
How do I do it?
Do I need to buy a blank SD card?

Please help!
Shankar,

Is it an img file which you have downloaded?
If yes, create a Garmin directory in the SD card and copy this file along with the unlock code (a file with an extension unl). That should install the map on the PND.
Old 21st June 2012, 19:18   #2639
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Shankar,

Is it an img file which you have downloaded?
If yes, create a Garmin directory in the SD card and copy this file along with the unlock code (a file with an extension unl). That should install the map on the PND.
Some strange file amp.
Can i bring it across?
Say tomorrow if you're free?
I know nothing about these things and I am quite thick skulled with tech stuff in general.
Old 26th June 2012, 22:47   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Got the Sygic app installed on my Sony Xperia phone..and it works like a charm.
Good thing is - if you are resourceful, you can get it free!

I see that many people are using their smartphones for GPS navigation.
Where do you fix your mobile? Dhasboard/windscreen?
Is there a good mount available for the same? Please suggest!

Last edited by adimicra : 26th June 2012 at 22:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks