Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 09:59   #2536
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Strange. I was told that they were just waiting for 'compilation'.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:28   #2537
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

@kalpeshc; I have a feeling with NavTeq now in India SatGuide, (and later MMI) may kick the bucket. Their main source of revenue will be the Chinese Stuff they are selling under an own label. Also, if you see the website they may also put the map upgrades on the site, and then expect you to 'activate' them my paying a fee of Rs.300 or whatever. Also, with GPS becoming available in the car dash, there should be a huge OE market to tap and fight for.

Most people who have never experience a GPS before will be bedazzled with what they see for the first time, and not worry about the quality or upgrades.
Old 20th April 2012, 14:25   #2538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Moral of the story: If you want to use your phone as a navigator, have a mobile charger in the car otherwise battery would be empty in no time! I didnt really expect 1500mAH to be gone in just an hour!!!

A mobile is not really a substitute for a dedicated navigator if one does lot of highway runs.
While I agree with you on the conclusion, I am surprised that your phone lasted for just one hour. I have used Sygic for a couple of hours or more at a stretch. Yes battery drops off rapidly, but my Motorola Defy is able to hold on much longer than what you got in Bangalore.
For longer trips, I use the Belkin travel adapter (get 200W, 240V AC output) and connect my regular phone charger to the phone and mount it on the windshield.
After all, we get what we pay for. Dedicated device will cost more than Rs. 7000 whereas, with phone you won't have to spend on anything other than the maps (Rs. 2000)
Old 20th April 2012, 14:35   #2539
Distinguished - BHPian

Google navigation is working out of the box on team rom on x10.
Can someone confirm the same for a stick device, with maps from the market only.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:40   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Dedicated device will cost more than Rs. 7000 whereas, with phone you won't have to spend on anything other than the maps (Rs. 2000)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A mobile is not really a substitute for a dedicated navigator if one does lot of highway runs.
Absolutely. IMHO a GPS phone is for quick guidance, mainly for short duration or whilst walking within a city. Better to have a full fledged GPS navigator if you intend using a device on long drives.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:23   #2541
Senior - BHPian

I received the MMI maps for mobile phones yesterday. Easy install onto the Galaxy S II. The sygic app has a nice interface to it. I am yet to test it properly. Will report back after proper results. I believe that Google maps are easier and look better, the only problem i am facing is data connectivity and data usage charges. So i am hoping that this solves my occasional distant travel route problems. But i will not be relying fully on this. I plan my way separately, especially after asking a few super traveling members here like HV Kumar Sir. Then using that log to mark my way on the MMI.
Old 21st April 2012, 12:23   #2542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the only problem i am facing is data connectivity and data usage charges.
I learnt this one the hard way on my trip to Kerala two weeks back. As a light user of the phone, it is an insignificant item on my budget (the opposite of my wife's!) but I spent about Rs200 on data, and I think most of it was mapping.

Google is said to have a "download maps" option in later versions (not the same as the already existing cache option) but it is not there on mine.

I know there are various unpaid-for options, but for the user who doesn't know/want to get into that, I now understand that an investment in, eg, MMI is not actually as expensive as it looks.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:16   #2543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know there are various unpaid-for options, but for the user who doesn't know/want to get into that, I now understand that an investment in, eg, MMI is not actually as expensive as it looks.
I maybe to disagree about MMI costs. According to one post here lifetime in MMI language is 2 years, at Rs.7000.You can get a Garmin GPS with true lifetime maps for Rs.15,900. Garmin GPS is arguably the best in the world. In this context Rs.7000 for just maps for two years sounds expensive.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:21   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

MapMyIndia Mobile Navigation only Rs.1990?

By the way: is there a difference between this product and the Sygic-with-map-my-india product?

<Scratching head>
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:41   #2545
Distinguished - BHPian

@TeG, whenever I have tried A-GPS on my Sony Ericsson, I had found that the battery gets drained fast. If we use the MMI mobile navigation, will it show similar behavior ?
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:36   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MapMyIndia Mobile Navigation only Rs.1990?

By the way: is there a difference between this product and the Sygic-with-map-my-india product?

<Scratching head>

There is no difference. This is the Sygic Map Application. Only difference between this and the one i bought is that it came loaded on a Micro SD card. You have to call them and tell them your order number and ask them which card you want the data on.
This Rs.1990 sygic app. has to be downloaded and installed on an SD card. Thats the only difference. If your mobile already has an SD card installed on it, this is the choice to make.
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:36   #2547
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Navpreet. Now I have one more question: If buying the MMI product, I assume that it is not possible to add other countries, whereas the Sygic product covers the world --- albeit that collecting countries one-by-one would be very expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@TeG, whenever I have tried A-GPS on my Sony Ericsson, I had found that the battery gets drained fast. If we use the MMI mobile navigation, will it show similar behavior ?
I don't know, but I think it is the GPS receiver in the phone that is battery-hungry. Probably much the same with any software.

It is less power hungry on my new Defy than it was on my Nokia N82.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:44   #2548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes this is true. MMI sells the same map content for Mobile at a much much cheaper price.
The same content for Garmin is 7K. I think they don't like to encourage folks buying third party H/W.
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:41   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Thad: To the extend that i have checked out the application, it is a generic Sygic application and i think more maps or maybe a world map can be bought directly through sygic. MMI have actually done nothing but supplied the India Map data in Sygic's format. If you check out the sygic website it will offer you all other maps as well. This is actually is good application for the mobiles. Supports all mobile OS's and is very light on the system ram as well. Runs without lag or hiccup. Cold start is quick though i have not timed it. And is very very accurate.
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:03   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I assume that it is not possible to add other countries ...
No, it is possible to add maps of other countries as long as the map format is suitable for the MMI map UI software. I remember having used a UK map on an HTC TD2 with MMI running on it a while back, not sure where I got the UK map from (it was 5 years ago).

'Worldwide' is just a convenient way of saying maps of different countries are available for use with the particular map UI software. Not sure if MMI is at all planning to sell in other countries - investment intensive endeavour .

Most Viewed