Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:31   #2476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
I am looking for some good offline maps for my planned drive to Goa through Bangalore in May.
Both MMI and Satguide are decent for Bangalore Goa sections.
But you still need to mark your own waypoints for some of the hotels. MMI for iphone/android phone charge only 2500. That way they are value for money.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2012 at 21:58.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:56   #2477
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sygic on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Who is the source for Map content for Sygic's native app?
Is it MMI?
MMI provides maps for Sygic Android and IOS apps. The latest maps are great with 3D views of buildings and other structures. Have Sygic on my IP and Android.

Regards,
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:04   #2478
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sygic on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
MMI provides maps for Sygic Android and IOS apps. The latest maps are great with 3D views of buildings and other structures. Have Sygic on my IP and Android.
That was opinion too. But the statement that there is an MMI app and also a Sygic app,
got me confused. Hence I had raised that question. Are their separate apps?

My understanding is that Sygic is Front end S/W. (Just like Destinator is for Satguide).
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:14   #2479
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
That was opinion too. But the statement that there is an MMI app and also a Sygic app,
got me confused. Hence I had raised that question. Are their separate apps?

My understanding is that Sygic is Front end S/W. (Just like Destinator is for Satguide).
That's right. Sygic makes the front end app and MMI provides the map data

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Keenly awaiting a detailed review from you on this. Even i am on the lookout of GPS, it's the build quality of the MMI devices that put me off though want their maps.
My comments are added below - dating back to Nov '11. MMI is better for POIs, inter-state, rural and inter city travel. Navteq good for in-city navigation. Avoid MMI navigators...Hope this helps.

Quote:
Bought my very 1st GPS navigator - the Garmin 2565LM. I'd have preferred to wait for Tom Tom..but this is the brand that I saw in the USA more than 10 years ago and I was very impressed back then. MMI hardware fit and finish didn't cut it with me and I heard some stories about their reliability.

Navteq maps are good. Tracking is accurate and satellite lock is really quick. For someone who relied on mobile phone GPS this is a big relief.

Here's to more accurate navigation!

Regards,
Quote:
PNDs with free lifetime maps are denoted by the LM (Lifetime Maps) suffixed to the model number. At this time it is the 2565LM and 2465LM. They could extend it to other models to increase sales.

Always make sure you register with Garmin. For e.g. after registering my device I received a software/firmware update. The device came preloaded with 2011.30 which is the latest map version

The maps are accurate though the biggest problem I have seen is the spelling of POIs is way different than what is used locally as a result they are difficult to search. And you have other spelling mistakes too (in locales and road names). Hope they sort em out.

Regards,

PS - Read on Garmin's web site that free updates are provided for upto 1 year for other devices. See their upgrade policy here https://my.garmin.com.tw/mapUpgrade/mapUpgrade/policy

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd March 2012 at 22:16. Reason: typo
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:03   #2480
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
But the statement that there is an MMI app and also a Sygic app,got me confused. Hence I had raised that question. Are their separate apps?

Quote:
That's right. Sygic makes the front end app and MMI provides the map data
There are two separate apps on android market.

1) Sygic app with MMI maps - paid-app for around Rs.2,700 (but no trial period).
2) Sygic app with their own maps with a 7 day trial period.

Since I was given a 7 day free period I tried option 2.
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:28   #2481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
There are two separate apps on android market.

1) Sygic app with MMI maps - paid-app for around Rs.2,700 (but no trial period).
2) Sygic app with their own maps with a 7 day trial period.

Since I was given a 7 day free period I tried option 2.
Now that you mentioned 2 versions, I rechecked and discovered I have the Sygic Maps for Android and Sygic MMI for IOS. Sygic maps are just as good IMHO including 3D structures. Sygic's site mentions MMI as their data provider.

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:48   #2482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that you mentioned 2 versions, I rechecked and discovered I have the Sygic Maps for Android and Sygic MMI for IOS. Sygic maps are just as good IMHO including 3D structures. Sygic's site mentions MMI as their data provider.

Regards,
How much is the price difference between the two?
(MMI and Sygic Native)

I remember Sygic App with MMI for Android/IOS costs about 2500/-.
Either you buy in Appstore (for Apple) or you can directly buy it from MMI.

I was not sure if you get this is available in Market/Google Play store.
It should be for sure.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:20   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
My comments are added below - dating back to Nov '11. MMI is better for POIs, inter-state, rural and inter city travel. Navteq good for in-city navigation. Avoid MMI navigators...Hope this helps.
How much did the navigator cost you in November? & has there been any improvement in spellings if you have got an upgrade since you bought it?
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:39   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much is the price difference between the two?
(MMI and Sygic Native)

I remember Sygic App with MMI for Android/IOS costs about 2500/-.
Either you buy in Appstore (for Apple) or you can directly buy it from MMI.

I was not sure if you get this is available in Market/Google Play store.
It should be for sure.
Sygic + MMI from the Android Marketplace (the crappy #~$*%# Google Marketplace) is Rs 2807.38 as of today, I purchased the app directly from Sygic's website for 39 Euros approx Rs 2613 at today's exchange rates.

Quote:
How much did the navigator cost you in November? & has there been any improvement in spellings if you have got an upgrade since you bought it?
It was Rs 18K - I wanted the 5" screen, hence went in for the 2565LM instead of the 2465LM. What 'spellings' are you referring to? I got a software and a map upgrade. If it is POI, city areas and regions there are variances in the way locals spell the name and those in the map. That goes for MMI too. There are some hideous mistakes, nothing you can do about it as corrections need to come from the map publishers - MMI or Navteq. Latest Garmin map update is good with house number search in major cities.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:54   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
What 'spellings' are you referring to? I got a software and a map upgrade. If it is POI, city areas and regions there are variances in the way locals spell the name and those in the map. That goes for MMI too. There are some hideous mistakes, nothing you can do about it as corrections need to come from the map publishers - MMI or Navteq. Latest Garmin map update is good with house number search in major cities.
Yeah i was referring to the POI, city areas and regions. So your happy with the performance within city & your from Pune right. Got to give it a try in Mumbai?
So based on your "verdict" guess i can go ahead with considering Garmin then

Any price advantage getting the device from the States & then the maps from here cause i guess devices from there won't come with Indian maps right.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:57   #2486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any price advantage getting the device from the States & then the maps from here cause i guess devices from there won't come with Indian maps right.
Getting Garmin PND from US is always advantageous.
But MMI maps for Garmin cost you 7K!
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:02   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah i was referring to the POI, city areas and regions. So your happy with the performance within city & your from Pune right. Got to give it a try in Mumbai?
So based on your "verdict" guess i can go ahead with considering Garmin then .
No I haven't tried it in Mumbai yet, only Pune. On the highway it is accurate - Garmin's hardware is literally beyond reproach - check out the build quality and its performance. You can ask the dealer for a demo before you buy it.

Avinash - let me state this unequivocally, given a choice of PNDs I will ALWAYS buy a Garmin, second choice is TomTom. MMI whose hardware is quite frankly not up to the mark is my last choice i.e. if there is nothing else available.

Quote:
Devices are cheaper in the US, and always come preloaded for the country/region they are sold in. Garmins from US have US or North America maps. I have mentioned this before - you can get it from the US and load India maps at an additional cost.
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:15   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Getting Garmin PND from US is always advantageous.
But MMI maps for Garmin cost you 7K!
& if i am getting navteq maps for the device based on r2d2's recommendation that they are pretty good now? How much would they cost?
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:29   #2489
BANNED

Quote:
& if i am getting navteq maps for the device based on r2d2's recommendation that they are pretty good now? How much would they cost?
The maps have to be downloaded from Garmin | United States | Home and are $99.99. What I hear is that you download, then copy to an SD or uSD card, then activate. It is supposed to be straight forward. I guess then you can update fro Garmin India which has updates but not the originals for sale. I also hear that if someone buys the India maps in the US then the card is under $65 on the web, and retail.

In many ways the Indian LM option is not too bad Rs.15,900 and you are set for life.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:04   #2490
BANNED

As the 30 minutes window has expired so the sequential post. If mods feel then they may merge with my previous post.

According to NetFreakbombay post 2434: Satguide maps ~170MB, MMI 400MB and Navteq 600MB. I think it should be kB and not MB. Obviously the same software handles them all, so Navteq should be the most detailed.

Most Viewed