Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:33   #1726
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I think Garmin stores these tracks as CSV files. Will have to check if that is still the case, if it is then it might be possible to write a small utility to "import" GPX tracks.
Lots of utilities exist, one of them is gpsbabel.
That said, Garmin entry level car navigation units cannot write out GPX tracks. Thats how they differentiate between entry level and non entry level.
It was part of the reason I got a Mio C320 because I knew I could write out gpx as well as RAW NMEA logs out of the box, and unlock the unit and install any windows CE software I wanted, all for a 100$
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:56   #1727
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Sorry for that typo. I meant re-installed tracks are "NOT" visible.

@NFB, TSK

Nuvi 2X does store current/active tracks as current.GPX.
I got from Garmin forums, that current.GPX is only for output from the device and is not parsed back. Looks like this is an issue only with Nuvi series (as per Garmin user forums. I am not sure about this)

Need to check the higher order models. But issue is, Garmin does not mention availability/non-availability of these feature in its tech specs. So its difficult to figure which Garmin box to buy.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2011 at 14:58.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:35   #1728
Team-BHP Support

Yes, forums are the best way to gauge which models support track writing as well as reading.
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:37   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, both refer to the same product. Satguide is the name of the product and SatNav is name of the company.

Contact info from satguide.in:

Garmin maps cost 1k, further updates coast 500 Rs each.
Thanks. I called them, but was told that the Garmin site is down and might take 3 more days for Satnav guys to get their link with Garmin working.

I was told that they would also give me an adapter for the micro SD card.
I plan to pick it up in person from their office next week as it is walkable from my house.
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:42   #1730
Team-BHP Support

You can very easily get MicroSD to SD adapter card at local eletronic/stationery shops for 30-50 Rs/-. Mostly the new Garmin models come on Micro SD slots.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:34   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just called Satguide to check if there is any update to Garmin maps. As per customer care, next version would be released by Monday.

Version that I have is from Aug-2010.
Are these available now? Even I am running the Aug 2010 version and intend to upgrade to the December 2010 release.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:54   #1732

I think they have released their new updates or may release in some days. You can go for that. There is no need to install previous version.
Old 26th February 2011, 13:56   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are these available now? Even I am running the Aug 2010 version and intend to upgrade to the December 2010 release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
I think they have released their new updates or may release in some days. You can go for that. There is no need to install previous version.
Latest SatNav Maps for garmin device is Aug 2010. The next upgrade is in May 2011, as told to me today when contacted SatNav.

The maps on the SatNav PNDs are upgraded as of Feb 2011.
Old 27th February 2011, 09:25   #1734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nuvi 2X does store current/active tracks as current.GPX.
I got from Garmin forums, that current.GPX is only for output from the device and is not parsed back. Looks like this is an issue only with Nuvi series (as per Garmin user forums. I am not sure about this)

Need to check the higher order models. But issue is, Garmin does not mention availability/non-availability of these feature in its tech specs. So its difficult to figure which Garmin box to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, forums are the best way to gauge which models support track writing as well as reading.
Confirmed from Garmin forums that re-installing track-logs is of no use. They wont be seen on the device. One workaround is that, you can convert the tracks into some kind of a transparent map, which can then be transferred to the device. Some open source S/W are available for the same, but I have not tried.

Some how they all seem to be work around solutions to a fundamental feature-set requirement. I wonder why Garmin does not implement them? Is this such a difficult thing?

At least now routes can be transferred to the device and would be visible. GPS sets can store up to 100 routes. So, one can create custom routes out of track-log (by creating way/via points.) and transfer the routes.

Folks need to ensure when they buy new device, ensure that in the specifications, there is a non-zero number listed against routes suggested.
Old 27th February 2011, 09:43   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Latest SatNav Maps for garmin device is Aug 2010. The next upgrade is in May 2011, as told to me today when contacted SatNav.
Thanks for the information. Mine was bought in March 2010. I think I will give the current version a miss, and wait for May/June.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th February 2011 at 09:49.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:48   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post

The maps on the SatNav PNDs are upgraded as of Feb 2011.

I have ordered online yesteday India maps for my Garmin which I bought in the US a few years ago. The maps I get - will they be the latest or would I need to shell out additional money for an upgrade?
Old 27th February 2011, 21:09   #1737
Team-BHP Support

I am beginning to realize why MMI is charging so high. Though the number of cities covered are nearly the same, the amount of information for TIER-2 towns seem to much higher in MMI than Satguide.

But still having said that 7K seems to be too high a price. Though their update pricing has come down to 990 for single update.
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:26   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have ordered online yesteday India maps for my Garmin which I bought in the US a few years ago. The maps I get - will they be the latest or would I need to shell out additional money for an upgrade?
Did you get the maps? I called Satnav office yesterday and was told that they still have not resolved the issue with Garmin, and might take another week.
I am getting impatient.
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:37   #1739
Team-BHP Support

I saw on the MMI site Version 6 release, which says street view for all cities.
Has any one tried it?
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:41   #1740
Senior - BHPian

it is good no doubt about it. unfortunately this street map and last mile stuff from MMI doesnt work with my Garmin - else I would have bought it. something to do with the software and I believe they are now working on the interface for last mile navigation for Garmin devices too. Am waiting for that.
Thing is, you need to upgrade at least once a year - given that Indian cities are constantly developing in all directions and in an un-planned, haphazard manner, so the mapping data software wallahs are always going to be hard pressed to keep up with the urban sprawl!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I saw on the MMI site Version 6 release, which says street view for all cities.
Has any one tried it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks