Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 17:08   #1861
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I am also in the process of buying a GPS device and torn between 2 options
1. MMI VX140s - approx 10k + additional for updated maps. Yet to see the device.
2. Garmin nuvi 1360 ( India version) - approx 15k with additonal discounts + 1free update to be used within an year (with updated Navteq maps). Felt nice in hand - compact and handy. Junction view seemed good, though yet to test it on road.

What would be the better option. What i am looking at
1. Predominently outside city driving with ocassional need to use it within the city ( bangalore). Here i think MMI has tthe advantage or the updated NAVteq map is also equal ?

2. ease of getting the satelite lock- My feeling is that garmin would be better.

3. Bluetooth and other features though handy are not in the toplist.

Gurus, pls advice.
Old 6th April 2011, 09:40   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Garmin are the Mercedes of the trade. MMI are striving to be there. everybody claims they are as good as Garmin - so this should settle it. In case Navteq are not that good (the reports are they are) then you may have to buy maps from MMI or Satnav.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:40   #1863
BHPian

Google maps for android is updated to 5.3 with new location, check-in features.
Can someone clarify how to use google navigation works for android phones in India?
Old 6th April 2011, 10:57   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a Bangalore -Ooty -Bangalore drive.I have been using MMI since April 2010.The new V6.0 maps are awesome which point out even one-ways .

Havent used SatNav ,but I am more than happy with MMI
Old 6th April 2011, 11:10   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just back from a Bangalore -Ooty -Bangalore drive.I have been using MMI since April 2010.The new V6.0 maps are awesome which point out even one-ways .

Havent used SatNav ,but I am more than happy with MMI
@speedsatya need some info. I am planning to buy either MMI or Satnav, please guide me in which is good and which type of equipment to go for? There are so many and it is confusing Also a fair indication on how much it costs.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:25   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I installed Training Center and Mapsource but not sure how to import the Satguide maps from my Garmin device to Mapsource. Help please!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That makes two of us, eagerly waiting for @NetfreakBombay's inputs.
Cant do that before weekend :(

However, tools that are needed are:

1. GmapTool :http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html
2. CGPSMapper : http://cgpsmapper.com/download2/cgpsmapperFree.zip

Both are free.

Get GMapTool and give it a whirl, its a nifty utility for extracting information form maps.

Will post exact steps over the weekend.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:25   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
@speedsatya need some info. I am planning to buy either MMI or Satnav, please guide me in which is good and which type of equipment to go for? There are so many and it is confusing Also a fair indication on how much it costs.
I havent used SatNav ,so cant comment on them.I have the basic MMI Roadpilot which cost me around 8 K INR in 2010.Guess,it should cost the same now as well.

I have also opted for the upgrade plan wherein I get 4 map updates in 2 years.

On what kind of device you want ,it all depends on what add-ons do you want along with navigation.

I am sure the MMI or SatNav websites would have information on the various device options

Cheers,

Satya
Old 6th April 2011, 11:53   #1868
BHPian

@NetfreakBombay: Thanks man! It'd be great if you could find the time to post exact steps whenever possible.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:19   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Hi,
Please check my post a few pages back :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2271626

I have used both Satguide and MMI and I think MMI is worth the extra money. MMI for Garmin is too costly, so you could opt for a Windows CE based device and then buy the maps from MMI. That way, it would be a very cost effective option.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:23   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbranded View Post
I am also in the process of buying a GPS device and torn between 2 options
1. MMI VX140s - approx 10k + additional for updated maps. Yet to see the device.
2. Garmin nuvi 1360 ( India version) - approx 15k with additonal discounts + 1free update to be used within an year (with updated Navteq maps). Felt nice in hand - compact and handy. Junction view seemed good, though yet to test it on road.

What would be the better option. What i am looking at
1. Predominently outside city driving with ocassional need to use it within the city ( bangalore). Here i think MMI has tthe advantage or the updated NAVteq map is also equal ?

2. ease of getting the satelite lock- My feeling is that garmin would be better.

3. Bluetooth and other features though handy are not in the toplist.

Gurus, pls advice.
A google search led me to this online seller (Delhi based) who is offering the nuvi 1360 for 12,900/-

I am also in the market for a new PND and prefer brands like Garmin & Tom Tom. Tom Tom, unfortunately, have not yet launched their products in India. So I may get a Garmin for myself. Suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited by SumitB : 6th April 2011 at 12:31.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:20   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Cant do that before weekend :(

However, tools that are needed are:

1. GmapTool :Pliki/Download: GMapTool, Nutrak
2. CGPSMapper : http://cgpsmapper.com/download2/cgpsmapperFree.zip

Will post exact steps over the weekend.
Thanks. Have downloaded both, and eagerly waiting for the weekend.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:12   #1872
BHPian

Got a message from SatGuide that you can get c230 for Rs 4999 & x-350 for Rs 3999.

Not sure what their original prices are.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:38   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Have downloaded both, and eagerly waiting for the weekend.
How to import Garmin Maps into Mapsource.

This HOWTO assumes that you already have Garmin maps and are trying to view these maps on PC with Mapsource for route planning etc.

I am using OpenStreet India maps, which are free and open source. But the same steps should work for any Garmin map. Overall there are two steps:

a. Prepare maps and create maps in a format that MapSource understands
b. Import Maps into Mapsource

A. Prepare Maps

1. Download and install:
GmapTool : http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html
CGpsMapper : http://cgpsmapper.com/download2/cgpsmapperFree.zip
2. Copy .img file from Garmin device to PC. Can be copied anywhere, for this HOWTO, it is assumed it is copied to:
c:\Garmin\Maps\gmapsupp.img
3. Create a directory for Mapsource maps, for this HOWTO, it is assumed that directory is:
c:\Garmin\Maps\MapSource
4. Run GMapTool
5. Go to "Files" Tab, Click on "Add Files"
6. Browse and select "c:\Garmin\Maps\gmapsupp.img"
7. Press "Info", this should show some stats about map. Will be useful if something does not work
8. Go to "Split" Tab
9. Browse and select c:\Garmin\Maps\MapSource directory
10. Select "files for Mapsource" in "create"
11. Check option for "Compile Preview Map". It should be selected.
12. Enter any name for this mapset. This is how it would show up in mapsource. For example "Openstreet_India_Mar_11"
13. Click "Split All"

This should generate a bunch of file in "c:\Garmin\Maps\MapSource". One of them is "install.bat" to install maps into Mapsource

Next step is command line:

B. Import Maps

1. Run cmd.exe
2. Change directory to c:\Garmin\Maps\MapSource, this command can be used : cd c:\Garmin\Maps\MapSource
3. run install.bat. type install.bat in command window and hit enter

Now run Mapsource and this map should be visible.

Let me know if anything does not work as expected and we can modify this HOWTO to handle that scenario.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 09:47   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to import Garmin Maps into Mapsource.

This HOWTO assumes that you already have Garmin maps and are trying to view these maps on PC with Mapsource for route planning etc.
I have Satnav maps on my Garmin device via an SD card. I hope this is ok and qualfies as equal to a Garmin map for this exercise?

Quote:
I am using OpenStreet India maps, which are free and open source.
So does this mean you have OpenIndia Street maps on your GPS device, or on your PC?

By the way, thanks for your post. Will give it a shot today
Old 11th April 2011, 11:39   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Satnav maps on my Garmin device via an SD card. I hope this is ok and qualfies as equal to a Garmin map for this exercise?
Yes, there would be a large ( 80 - 200 MB ) .img file on SD card. That is the garmin map file. Copy that file to PC to import that to Mapsource.

Quote:
So does this mean you have OpenIndia Street maps on your GPS device, or on your PC?
I have OneIndia on device. This HOWTO used different maps (OpenStreet) but that should be same for other Garmin maps too.

Thanks for trying it, let me know how it goes. Hopefully we can get it to work in couple of iterations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks