Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 12:59   #1816
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Yesterday ordered India maps from Satguide for Garmin Unit, they have increased the price from Rs.990 to Rs.1140.

No offense buddy, but i feel that though priced steeply (7k) the MMI maps are far better than the Satguide ones. Though hard to justify at the price but they do seem to be worth purchasing.

Now, only if they were priced competitively...
Old 21st March 2011, 12:23   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Yesterday ordered India maps from Satguide for Garmin Unit, they have increased the price from Rs.990 to Rs.1140.
It seems to have increased by a tiny margin to 1146 rupees today. But its still VFM compared to MMI.
Even if they(MMI) would have priced it between 1500-2k, it would still be VFM.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:19   #1818
Senior - BHPian

I have now lived with the India Satguide maps for Garmin for the last two weeks and can say that they are not bad at all. Its the best one can get for 990 INR. I have not tried MMI so cannot comment on the difference though. The Garmin GPS unit that I bought in the US 4 years ago which was lying idle ever since I returned to India in 2008 is now put to some good use.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:39   #1819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have now lived with the India Satguide maps for Garmin for the last two weeks and can say that they are not bad at all. Its the best one can get for 990 INR. I have not tried MMI so cannot comment on the difference though. The Garmin GPS unit that I bought in the US 4 years ago which was lying idle ever since I returned to India in 2008 is now put to some good use.

I believe satguide is good enough for Tier-A and B cities and towns. its the overall coverage for smaller towns where MMI has an edge.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:45   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Update on Satguide and Navteq, got latest maps from these two. Was in Goa last week for work. Tried both of these maps on Garmin 255.

Coverage is excellent for both. Navigation from:

Airport to Panaji
Panaji to Sancoale
Sancoale to Airport

was flawless.
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:41   #1821
J.Ravi

MMI Maps of version 6.0

Yesterday, I bought online MMI 2-year upgrade plan that includes four map upgrades in two calendar years costing Rs 1750. Now, my MMI Lx130 navigator is equipped with the latest maps of version 6.0 for 1027 cities/towns and 3.95 million PoI across India.

* This time, the payment and upgrade process have been completed within a few hours, unlike the last one when MMI took days to send me the licence files. Yesterday, I paid the amount online. Within a couple of hours, I received two emails comprising procedure for upgrading the maps, the licence files and the link for downloading the latest version maps. It took about one hour for downloading the latest version maps. After that I copied the files in my navigator. Last time, I lost my favourites saved in my navigator as I was misguided by MMI when they said that the favourites would be retained even after the upgradation. So, yesterday, I retained two favourites files of the previous version, deleted the other old files and copied the new files along with the licence files. Now, I have my old favourites along with the new maps.

* Now, my Chennai home is displayed with house door number, but my Bangalore home is not displayed with door number!

* The famous Karpaga Vinayakar temple at Pillayarpatti, Tamil Nadu, is now clearly marked in the new version as 'Ganesha Temple, Pillayarpatti'. Earlier, Pillayarpatti was not at all marked in the map. I had located this temple using latitude and longitude that I got from Google maps.

* My favourite eatery Hotel Saravana Bhavan [HSB], Vellore, is now clearly displayed on the new map. Earlier, I had saved that location during one of my visits there. The new version shows better access to HSB different from the old version, when it used to show the route through Vellore city.

* But, the new version still shows the route for Pune to Surat through Mumbai [rather than bypassing Mumbai via Thane] like its earlier version. When I returned from Surat to Pune in December 2010, I was misguided by my MMI navigator which took me for a ride with a grand Mumbai darshan during evening peak hour!

So, for the next two years, I will be guided by the latest maps of MMI.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd March 2011 at 09:47.

Old 23rd March 2011, 20:31   #1822
BHPian

I was gifted a Satguide Moov 560 last year and tried using it recently but the maps arent good at all. Hardly any locations are there!

Is it possible to get MMI for my GPS navigator? Or it will be better to buy an upgrade to the Satguide maps? Or sell my navigator and buy another one from MMI?
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:54   #1823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I bought online MMI 2-year upgrade plan that includes four map upgrades in two calendar years costing Rs 1750.
I thought this is just ONE SINGLE update or is it regular updates twice a year for the next two years?

Edit: just saw again "Two year update plan (including 4 map updates in two calendar years)"

Why does MMI charge 2000 for a single update? And what is the meaning of the validity period? Does it mean after one or two years I cannot update my device maps ever?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd March 2011 at 21:57.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:51   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
I was gifted a Satguide Moov 560 last year and tried using it recently but the maps arent good at all. Hardly any locations are there!

Is it possible to get MMI for my GPS navigator? Or it will be better to buy an upgrade to the Satguide maps? Or sell my navigator and buy another one from MMI?
The Satguide Moov 560 looks to be a mio unit. Should be running CE so should be able to run the MMI software if you can find a hack for the unit to boot from the SD card etc.
Old 24th March 2011, 00:19   #1825
Team-BHP Support

If its a Moov its mio. This means you need to just buy MMI maps, and they will run on the unit.
Old 24th March 2011, 07:00   #1826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Update on Satguide and Navteq, got latest maps from these two. Was in Goa last week for work. Tried both of these maps on Garmin 255.

Coverage is excellent for both. Navigation from:

Airport to Panaji
Panaji to Sancoale
Sancoale to Airport

was flawless.
Which release is this? Is this a major one?
Old 24th March 2011, 08:02   #1827
BHPian

Garmin recalls Nuvi models

Garmin has recalled for certain models for faulty battery PCB. Well mine is also on the recall list. for details https://my.garmin.com/rma/recallLanding.faces
Old 24th March 2011, 08:52   #1828
Senior - BHPian

I just upgraded to v6 from MMI.
Took the single update plan which costs 990.
The MMI team were quick to respond this time around. Got the map within a couple of hours. Once updated sent them another e-mail for the license file which was sent within 2 hours. So am pretty satisfied with their service.
The map is definately more detailed than my previous v4. Will test it out in a couple of days. But definately more poi's than v4.
Am thinking of going for the premium content, anyone tried it out? Is it worth it? Its a one time 2k investment as mentioned on their site.
Old 24th March 2011, 09:28   #1829
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Why does MMI charge 2000 for a single update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Am thinking of going for the premium content, anyone tried it out? Is it worth it? Its a one time 2k investment as mentioned on their site.
MMI informed me that the one-time upgradation to premium content [maps with house/door numbers] that costs Rs 2,000 is applicable to MMI RoadPilot. For MMI Lx130 and above, the premium content has already been provided in the maps. So, it is not required.

Old 24th March 2011, 10:01   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Which release is this? Is this a major one?
These are generation dates as per headers:

Satguide : 23.02.2011
Navteq : 22.10.2010

Navteq has revamped its coverage, it now covers 600+ cities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks