Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 21:24   #2311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Bought my very 1st GPS navigator - the Garmin 2565LM. I'd have preferred to wait for Tom Tom..but this is the brand that I saw in the USA more than 10 years ago and I was very impressed back then. MMI hardware fit and finish didn't cut it with me and I heard some stories about their reliability.

Navteq maps are good. Tracking is accurate and satellite lock is really quick. For someone who relied on mobile phone GPS this is a big relief.

Here's to more accurate navigation!

Regards,
Old 13th November 2011, 11:11   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
anyone aware that upgrade to Garmin (Navtec) maps are free lifetime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Yes at least that's what the Garmin India page claims. See here:

Garmin India | Pressroom | FREE lifetime maps now available in India!

PNDs with free lifetime maps are denoted by the LM (Lifetime Maps) suffixed to the model number. At this time it is the 2565LM and 2465LM. They could extend it to other models to increase sales.

Always make sure you register with Garmin. For e.g. after registering my device I received a software/firmware update. The device came preloaded with 2011.30 which is the latest map version

The maps are accurate though the biggest problem I have seen is the spelling of POIs is way different than what is used locally as a result they are difficult to search. And you have other spelling mistakes too (in locales and road names). Hope they sort em out.

Regards,

PS - Read on Garmin's web site that free updates are provided for upto 1 year for other devices. See their upgrade policy here https://my.garmin.com.tw/mapUpgrade/mapUpgrade/policy

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th November 2011 at 11:18.
Old 13th November 2011, 11:48   #2313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Bought my very 1st GPS navigator - the Garmin 2565LM. I'd have preferred to wait for Tom Tom..but this is the brand that I saw in the USA more than 10 years ago and I was very impressed back then. MMI hardware fit and finish didn't cut it with me and I heard some stories about their reliability.

Navteq maps are good. Tracking is accurate and satellite lock is really quick. For someone who relied on mobile phone GPS this is a big relief.

Here's to more accurate navigation!

Regards,
How much did it cost you? I am also looking for a good GPS navigator.
Old 13th November 2011, 11:52   #2314
BHPian

This video shows how to use Google maps offline on mobile. Has anyone tried it yet ?

Old 13th November 2011, 11:58   #2315
BHPian

Team,

This is little info that i thought would be useful for Iphone owners. I had an initial plan of buying a new GPS device ( Map my India) but i ended up picking a Sygic Navigation App in the Apps store for the Iphone.

This app is at par with the map my india maps and it is really useful and worth the buy. It has all the features that a stand alone GPS device can offer.
Old 13th November 2011, 12:51   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Team,

This is little info that i thought would be useful for Iphone owners. I had an initial plan of buying a new GPS device ( Map my India) but i ended up picking a Sygic Navigation App in the Apps store for the Iphone.

This app is at par with the map my india maps and it is really useful and worth the buy. It has all the features that a stand alone GPS device can offer.
Can it track log? and can it accept routes as gpx?
Old 14th November 2011, 07:05   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc

Can it track log? and can it accept routes as gpx?
It can track logs but I haven't tried the routes as gpx as yet. I do not think so it can
Old 14th November 2011, 10:31   #2318
BHPian

I've just started using GPS devices and have tried Garmin with SatGuide, Sygic on Android and Ovi. Somehow in all three the part where you have to enter your destination can really be improved.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:52   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I've just started using GPS devices and have tried Garmin with SatGuide, Sygic on Android and Ovi. Somehow in all three the part where you have to enter your destination can really be improved.
Try your garmin device with Mapmyindia version 6.1 or 6.0 or, just wait for a few weeks. thier next update 7.0 will be released soon...
Old 14th November 2011, 14:17   #2320
BHPian

Somehow the scenario where the maps cost more than the device does not convince me enough. I'd prefer to stick with Satguide.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:44   #2321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
How much did it cost you? I am also looking for a good GPS navigator.
The dealer quoted Rs 18k, offering hardly any discount as it is one of 2 new models. The other is the 2465LM with a 4.3" screen. I chose the former with a 5" screen as it would be easier on my rapidly aging eyes.

I later found out that letsbuy.com lists it for 15,900. However, this is probably excluding sales tax and other levies because the dealer's pre-tax price was 16K per the invoice. MH Sales Tax is 12.5% and that adds Rs 2K to the price.

Don't forget to check out TomTom as they are equally reputed units and popular in Europe. Letsbuy has them on their PND list.

Regards,
Old 16th November 2011, 19:44   #2322
BANNED

Looking for your suggestion. Planning to buy a Car Navigation System. Zeroed down on Map My India (its topmost model which also features video and music play back which at the same time can also be jacked to rear view parking camera). It costs Rs. 16,000 at Reliance Autozone. The camera will come separately.

My question is how does Car Nav System compare to Mobile Phone GPS? I must add will not be using Car Nav System too extensively and for most of the time it will be in my bag. I haven't also used mobile phone GPS, therefore I do not have any idea of the difference between the two. Can someone enlighten me and help me decide which of the two I should go for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th November 2011, 15:27   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Looking for your suggestion. Planning to buy a Car Navigation System. Zeroed down on Map My India (its topmost model which also features video and music play back which at the same time can also be jacked to rear view parking camera). It costs Rs. 16,000 at Reliance Autozone. The camera will come separately.

My question is how does Car Nav System compare to Mobile Phone GPS? I must add will not be using Car Nav System too extensively and for most of the time it will be in my bag. I haven't also used mobile phone GPS, therefore I do not have any idea of the difference between the two. Can someone enlighten me and help me decide which of the two I should go for?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same dilemma when i bought my car and wanted a GPS unit. As tech geek i decided to work with my Phone only. I had android phone and i got mapmyindia maps working on it. it was really good. i just bought car charger for my phone (200Rs- capdase) and mobile car stand (500Rs - capdase).
I never felt any need of separate big screen GPS unit.
Now i am using Iphone 4 as my GPS unit whenever i need it. Most of the time i use Google maps. I hardly use mapmyindia.

As you said you are not going to use it too much. I think you should not buy a separate unit.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:35   #2324
Distinguished - BHPian

once you head out for say a 7-8 hour journey, youll appreciate the need for a seperate unit.
on one trip, i didnt have the car charger.
I had to charge my MMI through the stereo.
the MMI lasted for 3 hours on battery, and took another 3 hours to charge.
In that time, 5 phones, amongst 4 people in the car, ran down to 10-15% battery each, when having the maps and gps running.

Just giving a scenario.
Navigation with Gmaps, and gps , it takes roundabout 50 minutes to discharge my x10 flat.
Old 17th November 2011, 15:58   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
once you head out for say a 7-8 hour journey, youll appreciate the need for a seperate unit.
on one trip, i didnt have the car charger.
I had to charge my MMI through the stereo.
the MMI lasted for 3 hours on battery, and took another 3 hours to charge.
In that time, 5 phones, amongst 4 people in the car, ran down to 10-15% battery each, when having the maps and gps running.

Just giving a scenario.
Navigation with Gmaps, and gps , it takes roundabout 50 minutes to discharge my x10 flat.
You are very much correct that if you go on long journey you might feel need of separate unit only if you want to run the unit continuously.
Forgetting charger in case of mobile navigation is surely worst scenario in the middle of the journey.
on my iphone 4, with Gmaps, i get 2 hours of continuous use.
Android is surely battery eater.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks