Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 11:13   #2341
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you read my post, I have mentioned that I already have a Garmin Nuvi 260W with MMI maps. Why are you suggesting me the same thing again?

I want to hear feedback on Garmin 2565LM, and the map.
Apologies for the oversight.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:14   #2342
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,
I generate a route using google ( driving directions). drag and modify the same to my satisfaction and then generate a script file that shall convert the driving directions to a gpx file..
i then load it in mapsource and to gps as well.

That script file is available at GMapToGPX » Communications From Elsewhere

Use the option "full" in this script and then it shall generate the whole driving directions as a track. ( this would mean, the gps/ mapsource wont recalculate the route with its database.)
I've tried this but after copying the GPX file to the root of my Garmin, what is the next step? When i boot up Garmin, there's nothing new actually. I am using Garmin 265W
Old 25th November 2011, 11:17   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I've tried this but after copying the GPX file to the root of my Garmin, what is the next step? When i boot up Garmin, there's nothing new actually. I am using Garmin 265W
Hi Kalpesh,

I am not sure if 265w can accept routes? If it can, then all that you got to do it is to load the gpx file in your mapsource. it should show the file either as a route or as a track depending on if you used the full option ..

Transfer the route/ track to your gps unit. If it has the capability to add route ( I use 60 Csx and Zumo 500 and both can) the transferred route will be either in tracks or routes.

I think 265w cant accept routes..
Old 25th November 2011, 11:36   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I am eyeing Garmin 2565LM, I feel the price is decent compared to MMI, which gives cheap Chinese devices with high price tag
I am happy with the Garmin - although I must confess that it is my 1st navigator and one that I waited for all these years. I have not used MMI or Tomtom yet.

MMI as you rightly said uses cheap Chinese devices and I have heard some sad stories about their hardware from other users.

Quote:
Now they have kicked up the price to 16,900/- on Letsbuy. But my main concern is map accuracy outside of cities. I am tired of satguide and MMI, so I want something else
I am using MMI ver 6.1 map for Garmin and using it alongide the NavTeq maps that came with the device (ver 2011.30). Observations are:

a) MMI seems to cover smaller towns/villages more thoroughly AND covers number of more destinations than Navteq. This may be important for those who travel to interior areas.

b) MMI has MUCH better POI listing.

c) Spelling mistake galore in Navteq in localities, roads, and even towns. This makes it difficult to search for town/POIs/roads/localities or plot your route

d) I found the Navteq maps visually very clean and accurate. Quality is high though spelling mistakes do take the sheen off the experience.

e) MMI has had a headstart on GPS mapping in this country, so you can expect better coverage overall.

f) Garmin is far better made (fit/finish) than the MMI devices which look cheap by comparison.

g) Best part of the 2565 and 2465 is the free lifetime map update.

No idea who provides TomTom maps.

Quote:
MMI should release thier version 7.0 before the end of the year and I must confess, out of the three maps I have tried, MMI seems to be the best.
City nav is really good inside major cities, but especially when it comes to semiurban/ towns, it is MMI still a notch bit better.)
Agreed your findings on MMI are more or less in line with my experiences! I am waiting for version 7. Navteq can be expected to catch up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Garmin comes with City Navigator (2011.30) and as the names says it excellent for cities.

But where MMI (v6.0+) score is in POIs and most are spelt correctly, unlike Garmin.

Advantage of Garmin unit is you can load CN, MMI, Satguide maps & use them together.
Agree with you. As a hardware device Garmin is far better than MMI and works beautifully. Satellite lock is within seconds and you can use multiple maps from different map providers.

Samurai - hope this helps you with your purchase decision

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th November 2011 at 11:38.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:40   #2345
BHPian

Just as a supplement info, If I am not wrong, TeleAtlas provided map data for TOM TOM. I guess Tele Atlas is owned by tomtom and they are based in Pune..
Old 25th November 2011, 12:55   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean together or toggle between each maps?
Both toggle & together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
g) Best part of the 2565 and 2465 is the free lifetime map update.
Thats neatly compiled. Just to clarify, lifetime means the time before which Garmin announces end of life for that device.
Also, buying MMI map updates for MMI devices is cheaper than buying MMI maps for Garmin devices.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:05   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both toggle & together. ...
Toggle one can understand. But together? How does that work???
Old 25th November 2011, 13:24   #2348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both toggle & together.

Thats neatly compiled. Just to clarify, lifetime means the time before which Garmin announces end of life for that device.
Also, buying MMI map updates for MMI devices is cheaper than buying MMI maps for Garmin devices.
That's right. Lifetime means device lifetime as determined by Garmin. I'd expect it to be 3-4 years at max. Time will tell.

MMI map for Garmin is expensive @ 7K a pop and about 8.8K with 2 year maintenance. Some MMI navigators are priced exorbitantly - for e.g. I wanted to buy the in-dash navigator that would plug into my JVC DVD car head unit. It is priced at Rs 20K, 19,990 to be precise!! When I checked the unit (and other MMI PNDs as well) I was disappointed with the workmanship and decided to wait till Garmin &/or TomTom come to India. The in-dash looks as if it has been crafted in a local workshop or a cheap Chinese manufactured unit. Of course one can say it will be hidden under the dashboard out of sight, but quality of manufacture is important (to me) regardless of the unit being in plain sight or tucked away.

The rant aside, once you have both Navteq and MMI maps on your device you are more or less covered for nearly any travel situation. Sadly Navteq has a lot of catching up to do in terms of POI and the ugly spelling mistakes. The latter issue really bugs you - a sign of lower than expected quality control. MMI score much better in this aspect.

Garmin released an updated firmware for the 2565LM yesterday. I expect updated Navteq maps in Dec '11. The last one was ver 2011.30 released in Sept '11 - new releases are upto 4 times a year.

Additional maps are available for Garmin's website for a fee - depending on which continent/country map you require.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th November 2011 at 13:26.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:26   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I am not sure of the exact details but what I know is every map has a priority. For instance, city maps have higher priority over whole country maps. So this way, 2 or more maps can work together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Additional maps are available for Garmin's website for a fee - depending on which continent/country map you require.
Another advantage of Garmin units - you can get maps for any country in the world.

Last edited by msdivy : 25th November 2011 at 14:28.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:37   #2350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you read my post, I have mentioned that I already have a Garmin Nuvi 260W with MMI maps. Why are you suggesting me the same thing again?

I want to hear feedback on Garmin 2565LM, and the map.
Does Garmin use Navteq map database?
I think in India, most vendors have incomplete map coverage in one area or another.
Instead of a Garmin device, if you buy a chinese device for 5000(dealextreme etc.,) you can actually install satguide, Garmin, Tomtom, MMI, IGO..... and whatever else you want, and then actually experience all mapping systems. Once you are satisfied to as what is your best bit, you can buy a proper product from them.

I think SATGUIDE windows maps cost 1000rs or something.

Quote:
Just as a supplement info, If I am not wrong, TeleAtlas provided map data for TOM TOM. I guess Tele Atlas is owned by tomtom and they are based in Pune..
Interestingly, garmin and tomtom got into a bidding war with each other regarding teleatlas.
Finally Garmin entered into a contract with Navteq, and withdrew the bid.

Earlier google also used Teleatlas maps, but since 2009, it has gone its own way. However, its India map is still Tele-Atlas.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:27   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can copy multiple maps into Garmin. Names of the map file would be in format:

gmapWXYZ.img

some values are reserved (like gmapprom.img is for Garmin supplied maps).

You can dump maps from multiple providers. Garmin will de-dupe roads where there is some clash. E.g. you can copy gmapmmi1.img and gmapstgd.img in same directory.

You also have to rename license files to same name as map file (extension would be that of license file).
Old 25th November 2011, 18:14   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... use them together.
Quote:
Did you mean together or toggle between each maps?
Quote:
Both toggle & together. ...
Quote:
Quote:
... So this way, 2 or more maps can work together. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can copy multiple maps into ...
Sir I know that - I carry 5 different maps (North America, India, Europe, Japan, Middle East). But, co-location of multiple maps in storage is different from 2 map files being referred to by the Garmin firmware - when the unit is working - when it needs to search against known coordinates that the GPS receiver gave to get the vector definitions for display.

It is counter-intuitive: How does the display system handle data returned from 2 maps and display it *simultaneously* on screen??? THAT would mean 2 or more maps can work together. Maps are not code that can be run - they are just a collection of data.

The last time I had tried the multiple-maps stunt on my Garmin 260W, it just used the first in the list (that shows up when you check under Settings) that has a tick-mark. It completely ignored the others. I was trying to compare the PoI richness between Garmin, MMI and Satguide (they seem to have just picked up the Google Earth user PoI repository and used it - hopeless) maps. I could only get the PoIs from whichever map was ticked. Toggling worked, but it was a rather painful process of going back and forth between map view and settings, and that takes time.

When there are maps of different countries in storage, the unit automatically switches to the relevant one when it first receives new coordinates in another country. Painful, since it takes more than 10 minutes to settle down in the new country. Of course, one can tick that country's map (without going to that country and getting GPS reading) and search in it, *but* route guidance with that map works only when GPS gives a coordinate.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:25   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last time I had tried the multiple-maps stunt on my Garmin 260W, it just used the first in the list (that shows up when you check under Settings) that has a tick-mark. It completely ignored the others.
I have Nuvi 2300 and this how it works:
Unit\.System\gmapbmap.img (Garmin India map)
Unit\Map\MMI.img (MMI Map)
Unit\Map\Satguide.img (Satguide map)
Unit\Map\gmapsupp.img (US Map)

Now in the list of maps, I can see all of these. If I check & select all of these, I get POIs of each of these maps listed. For instance, a restaurant near my home is listed thrice. There is hardly any delay in response. The directory structure may be different in 260, but I think this can be accomplished.

PS: AFAIK, Garmin doesn't support overlaying, ie positioning one map over the other.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 22:50   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
I have Nuvi 2300 and this how it works:
Unit\.System\gmapbmap.img (Garmin India map)
Unit\Map\MMI.img (MMI Map)
Unit\Map\Satguide.img (Satguide map)
Unit\Map\gmapsupp.img (US Map)

Now in the list of maps, I can see all of these. If I check & select all of these, I get POIs of each of these maps listed. For instance, a restaurant near my home is listed thrice. There is hardly any delay in response. The directory structure may be different in 260, but I think this can be accomplished.

PS: AFAIK, Garmin doesn't support overlaying, ie positioning one map over the other.
Can you confirm that if you checked all the maps for India, would it route properly? I doubt if it will route with more than a map...
Old 25th November 2011, 22:58   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm that if you checked all the maps for India, would it route properly? I doubt if it will route with more than a map...
It does route perfectly but can't say which map is shown. My hunch is between Garmin & MMI, MMI takes precedence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks