Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 12:18   #2266
naj
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi!!

I bought the Satguide 4.3 Navi yesterday.

I wanted a basic set up . The 4.3 navi looked perfect and many forum members have a suggested it . Just a day with it and I feel its a big let down . The resistive screen is just not to my taste and many times misses the touch inputs.The UI is too flimsy . By the way I am aware that one gets what he pays for.I should not crib here. Actually many touch screen mobile phones lower than the Navi's price have better UI.

Secondly ,the maps and location/city directory is strictly average. Towns like Savantwadi, Vengurla cannot be found. I called up the customer care to discuss about that . They told me to go in for a upgrade and registration of the license which I did. But these places are not showing up.

I should have gone in for a Tablet like the Beetel Tab which supports AGPS and 3G. At least I feel that the unit should do at what it is supposed to do. Drive me to my destination.

I spoke again to the customer care today and now they have told me to write a mail and mention the locations where i want to drive to. The satguide team will provide me with the maps. Lets see!

Cheers,

Last edited by naj : 18th October 2011 at 12:24.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:40   #2267
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Satguide uses Destinator software which is not really the best UI available. I like the Sygic UI which is used by MMI ( MMI also uses a different software which I am not a big fan of ). I think since your GPS is probably based on Windows CE, you could probably unlock it and get MMI maps with Sygic and install it on your device.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 12:41   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
anyone tried the free osm maps for india on their garmin? a comparison of that vs the satnav maps would be interesting
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/asia/.../india.img.zip
Yes, I have.

Recently I received, as a gift from B-i-L in the US, a Garmin nuvi 2450 with the Garmin India map (CN India NT 2011).

As I am a techno-dud (a.k.a. dummy), I had the usual struggle to load the Garmin mapset into Mapsource.

The internet provided me with the free osm map as an .exe file to install into Mapsource directly. It worked flawlessly and now I have the OSM map installed in Mapsource.

I have installed the OSM map in the nuvi 2450 device as well, although I have both installed I am still using the Garmin map in the device. I locate points in Mapsource and copy the waypoints so located to the device.

In my older Garmin nuvi 265W, I still have the Satguide map.

With three maps, my rating is:

1) OSM
2) Garmin
3) Satguide

But, I have to add that I haven't travelled or used them much since installing the OSM map. My rating above is based on a few random drives in Bangalore city.

Next month I will be travelling and will have a chance to compare both during the trip.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:42   #2269
Distinguished - BHPian

Even the MMI interface is slightly sad intra city.
I use mine to travel inter city, and then use my google maps for navigation.
The mmi maps may be more comprehensive, but the interface of google maps is much easier for me.
Old 18th October 2011, 14:20   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

Naj, what is the date if your maps ?

I bought in May, and had a bit of shock, as explained in this post.

Further, I observed some quirky behaviour with my maps within Pune city, which I posted in Pune Traffic thread, should have posted them here instead.

Quote:
BTW, I was also using my Garmin Nuvi 265W loaded with Satguide maps yesterday to check for speedo error , and it showed some weird things. For example, it showed the base of the Paud Road flyover exits on the LB Shastri road. It quickly corrected itself when I actually got there, but still.
Further, on the BMCC Road going towards FC Road, it still asked me to "Turn Left on LB Shastri Road". How is the performance of other maps in Pune city?
Anybody checked google maps/MapmyIndia/Garmin/Ovi maps while driving for their % of accuracy for Pune?
I have OSM maps for Pune too, and they have a long way to go as far as POIs go, I feel they are have fewer quirks like the ones I mentioned above.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:04   #2271
naj
BHPian

@Sajo,

I think the preloaded maps are dated August 2011. I have received a mail from satguide team with a latest upgrade link and its a 16th October 2011 release. I will let you know after the installation is done.

I think I will have to rely on my android device for navigation for the forth coming trip.

cheers.
Old 18th October 2011, 22:20   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyone tried the free osm maps for india on their garmin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Yes, I have.

With three maps, my rating is:

1) OSM
2) Garmin
3) Satguide
@PlaneMad Must have made your day!

Actually OSM in India is not ready for primetime when it comes to highways.

Satguide is also pretty bad when it comes to highways. (I have not used the latest versions).

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th October 2011, 22:34   #2273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@PlaneMad Must have made your day!

Actually OSM in India is not ready for primetime when it comes to highways.
:P I've spent a lot of time fixing the road and rail network, the national highway network should be quite decent at the moment. Things should get juicy in another year when more attributes like number of lanes, toll booths etc start coming in.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:40   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
@Sajo,

I think the preloaded maps are dated August 2011. I have received a mail from satguide team with a latest upgrade link and its a 16th October 2011 release. I will let you know after the installation is done.

I think I will have to rely on my android device for navigation for the forth coming trip.

cheers.
I just double checked with them and apparently they are not coming out with any updates until Nov 11 !
Old 19th October 2011, 10:34   #2275
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I just double checked with them and apparently they are not coming out with any updates until Nov 11 !
I received a mail from the Satguide team and they have mentioned that the update is from 16th Oct, 2011.

Even with this update Savantwadi, Vengurla Etc is not in the list.

Cheers.

Last edited by naj : 19th October 2011 at 10:37.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:49   #2276
BHPian

That's strange - maybe they're pushing out updates based on regions e.g. Mumbai region may get some updates in Nov and hence they'll contact me in Nov - other than that I don't see any reason why they would inform two customers two different update information.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:52   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link PlaneMad. I have downloaded the OSM maps and will test them on my Garmin.

@Naj : Do you see some of the quirkiness I mentioned in my post in your latest maps too ?
Old 19th October 2011, 16:25   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyone tried the free osm maps for india on their garmin? a comparison of that vs the satnav maps would be interesting
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/asia/.../india.img.zip
On a related note, I'm trying out Navfree India and Waze (both crowd-sourced "open" maps) on my iPhone 3G. The biggest challenge is to get a high-quality GPS signal lock, but once that happens, these apps work fairly well. However coverage and PoI database is nowhere near as comprehensive as Sygic/MMI's, for instance.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st October 2011, 16:10   #2279
BHPian

Anybody has idea about danew GPS syatem.

4.3 inch touch screen display with vidop , games, music, bluetooth, photo viewer and with mapmyindia maps loaded comes around Rs. 13000/-

HE said it is french company and hardware warrenty is 1 year.

Anybody has good review about its hardware.
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:58   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

I wanted a basic set up . The 4.3 navi looked perfect and many forum members have a suggested it . Just a day with it and I feel its a big let down .

The UI is too flimsy .

Secondly ,the maps and location/city directory is strictly average.

Cheers,

I got hold of this device to get a feel of it before I bought one. And its not up to my expectation. Many locations don't show up, even in Bangalore. My home street too is not recognized.

The user interface is useless. I am unable to enter GPS co-ordinates.The battery doesn't last long enough.

BTW, is it possible to load mapmyindia's map on these and a different user interface? If so I would get this device and load a different map and UI

EDIT: This is the device-

http://www.satguide.in/product/4.3_n...rtainment.aspx

Last edited by sachinj12 : 22nd October 2011 at 09:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks