Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 14:09   #2131
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks. If I am not mistaken, even my Defy has AGPS. So do you think the accurate position was displayed on my andriod or on the BBs? It looks like BBs always have a slag in their GPS, as even a couple of weeks ago, when I was travelling with MileCruncher, he was figuring behind me on Latitude.

I suppose Andriod being a Google product, syncs up faster with Google Maps.
your defy has inbuilt GPS receiver too,
Speaking of sync, you were constantly moving. all these online thingies are delayed by a few seconds atleast, so its entirely possible that the sync on BB was happening later. Nothing to do with google, this is how all these sync things work. Real time is not really "real time" at high speeds.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:22   #2132
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Thanks. If I am not mistaken, even my Defy has AGPS. So do you think the accurate position was displayed on my andriod or on the BBs?
If you have GPS then it is the final arbiter. Once you have the approximate location by AGPS, then GPS takes over as has been rightly pointed out. Whether Android or BB is not of much relevance. I doubt whether BB GPS will be any slower.

On the other hand AGPS will give you your location with a lower accuracy (say 3km) even if there is no GPS as in BB8330. Later models of BB have full GPS.

I must say that GPS is much faster on Android that on Nokia. I had a mid range Nokia (could be 5230) and in Ladakh it could not give me that even after 15 minutes. I was interested in noting my Altitude but was successful only once in five attempts. Remember when looking for Altitude, Longitude and Latitude you do not need a connection to get the map.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:47   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
And what's the difference between a .gpx and .kml file. Can I get better report out of a .kml file?
A kml file does not have a timing parameter hence cannot show you speed, while a gpx file does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I am not entirely sure what map wisepilot uses. But my guess is that they do not use MMI maps.
Wisepilot uses Navteq maps, the same maps used by Garmin.

Quote:
Thanks. If I am not mistaken, even my Defy has AGPS. So do you think the accurate position was displayed on my andriod or on the BBs? It looks like BBs always have a slag in their GPS, as even a couple of weeks ago, when I was travelling with MileCruncher, he was figuring behind me on Latitude.

I suppose Andriod being a Google product, syncs up faster with Google Maps.
Your own position will always be updated more quickly on your own phone than the position of others, on softwares like Google Latitude, which rely on a data connection to update other people's location.
Updating your own location on your own phone will not have the data lag (for obvious reasons) that would be present while updating other's location on your phone, which has to get uploaded on Google's servers and then downloaded on your phone.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:28   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Your own position will always be updated more quickly on your own phone than the position of others, on softwares like Google Latitude, which rely on a data connection to update other people's location.
Updating your own location on your own phone will not have the data lag (for obvious reasons) that would be present while updating other's location on your phone, which has to get uploaded on Google's servers and then downloaded on your phone.
Ok, then whenever mobike008 or zen91 zooms past me, I can be content looking at the GPS then!
Old 9th August 2011, 19:04   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Also another factor would be the data connectivity speed of the mobile networks.
For eg.
Someone on Airtel may have a faster connection than someone else on Vodafone etc.
Also if one has 3G and the other has gprs. That too would make a difference.
As the upload of data to the google server will take longer on a slower connection.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:34   #2136
BHPian

I was on a lookout for a GPS solution for some time and found this:
GPS Navigation India | Personal Navigation Device(PND) | Turn by Turn Navigation. Do you think it is a good deal? I will appreciate any feedback about this device.

On another note, we bought Mi410 (essentially a re-badged Huawei XD6). I know that the phone has an inbuilt GPS but I have been unable to get it to work.

If I am right dedicated GPS units have a separate antenna which keeps a line of site to the satellites above, but how does it work for these so called smart phones? (Maybe the person holding it needs to get smarter!)

LS
Old 10th August 2011, 19:49   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I was on a lookout for a GPS solution for some time and found this:
GPS Navigation India | Personal Navigation Device(PND) | Turn by Turn Navigation. Do you think it is a good deal? I will appreciate any feedback about this device.

On another note, we bought Mi410 (essentially a re-badged Huawei XD6). I know that the phone has an inbuilt GPS but I have been unable to get it to work.

If I am right dedicated GPS units have a separate antenna which keeps a line of site to the satellites above, but how does it work for these so called smart phones? (Maybe the person holding it needs to get smarter!)

LS
The device looks decent, but that's not what i am worried about. Its the maps. I feel MMI is better in comparison ~ IMHO
If you can up your budget a little the VX140S makes a great choice.
for the little extra cash you get bluetooth too. and ofcourse the better maps too.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:27   #2138
BHPian

How is Mapmyindia Road pilot ? Is the voice navigation free or does it need any subscription ?
Old 11th August 2011, 14:44   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
How is Mapmyindia Road pilot ? Is the voice navigation free or does it need any subscription ?
Voice navigation is a feature of the device and is not subscription/map based.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:37   #2140
BHPian

Has anybody tried Acer Iconia Tab / Toshiba Thrive, they provide more features than Samsung ?
Old 11th August 2011, 15:55   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83
I have not used the road pilot but it seems a decent device. If you do not need bluetooth and can live with the smaller screen size, then its a decent choice.
But overall i feel the VX140S is the better model and if possible the one to go in for.

As Sajo mentioned. The voice navigation is absolutely free and requires no subscription.
Basically once you buy a device from MMI.
There are no further costs involved.
No subscriptions no recurring costs and no commitments.
The only time you will pay MMI again.
Is for when you upgrade your map or purchase a new device.
A one time map upgrade costs rs. 990/- at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann
Has anybody tried Acer Iconia Tab / Toshiba Thrive, they provide more features than Samsung ?
Someone recommended the acer iconia tab when i was in the market for a tab for my Mother.
But in the end stuck to the ipad2.
its a really great tab. And i would recommend it to you. If not mistaken they do have some gps maps etc for the ipad here in India.
You can check on the store
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 17:33   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
But overall i feel the VX140S is the better model and if possible the one to go in for.
How does it compare with Satguide 4.3 Navi ?
VX140S seems to have a different price tag on each site. Whats its actual price ?

Last edited by karty_83 : 11th August 2011 at 17:34.
Old 11th August 2011, 17:41   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
How does it compare with Satguide 4.3 Navi ?
VX140S seems to have a different price tag on each site. Whats its actual price ?
I have not used any satguide product so am not too sure.
But from what i have heard is that the maps of MMI are definately better than satguide. and that makes a big difference.

Price :
VX140S is for Rs. 9,990/- from MMI website.
Road Pilot is for 7,990/- from MMI website.

The difference is only 2K
with such a marginal difference in price.
The VX140S is anyday the better buy.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 17:53   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
The difference is only 2K
with such a marginal difference in price.
The VX140S is anyday the better buy.
For the music playback does the device come with built in speakers ?
Can it be connected to the car speakers ?
Old 11th August 2011, 18:07   #2145
J.Ravi

Just a few minutes back, my MMI Lx130 navigator has got new updated maps of v 6.1. I came to know about this new version maps by trial and error only! Although I have subscribed for 2 year upgrade plan, MMI did not inform me about this new version that was introduced in July 2011. I accidentally stumbled upon it when I logged into MMI My Product. Later, I downloaded the new version's files, got the licence file from MMI and loaded them into my navigator by replacing the old files. I was told the new version covers more cities and PoI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks