Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 11:09   #2221
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is correct. The GPS hardware will only read the SD card supplied map. You cannot transfer routes from Google maps from PC to GPS. Reasons:
Hi,

You can indeed transfer routes from google maps to your gps.
Use a program called Tyre. Tyre Help
This is for Garmin and TOM TOM.

HOWEVER, YOU CAN EVEN USE ANOTHER BRILLIANT JAVA SCRIPT.
GMapToGPX » Communications From Elsewhere

This script generates a gpx file which you can download to mapsource or to your gps direct. I have used it so many times and works with out any flaws,

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2011 at 19:31. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 21st September 2011, 11:14   #2222
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Update on my purchase from Satguide.

I'd purchased Satguide after an email exchange where they informed me that maps have been released in Aug and once I buy I'd be entitled to a single free update within an year (out of the 4 updates that they release in a year). I promptly bought the maps and on receiving the card, found out that the map version was the one which was released in May 11. On further inquiry it appeared that there were no maps released in Aug at all. I felt a bit sad as it means that I'd lost an update (I was timing my purchase with the updates to get the updated maps by end of the year). Surprisingly Satguide has agreed to send me the new updates and then extend my free update period from that date !!

I was pleasantly surprised by this customer friendly gesture from Satguide. A thumbs up to them.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:43   #2223
BANNED

@kalpeshc; I bought my SatGuides for Garmin in April last year. Must have been the August 2009 release. I will like to know when the newer ones (i.e., August 2011+) come out.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:22   #2224
BHPian

They generally send mailers (from what I heard) to their existing client base when the new maps are released. If not, just drop them an email. Ideally unless there are major changes, don't spend for the updates. If it's a free update, please get the update before your 1 year expires (if they have a time limit too, which I think they have).
Old 21st September 2011, 14:46   #2225
BHPian

hi,

Just an update on Mapmyindia 6.1 . This new release is about two months old and have only additional 30 odd Mb to thier previous edition MMI 6.0

The version 7.0 is expected in the month of november 2011.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:55   #2226
BANNED

I will write to them. With Navteq in India both SatGuide as well as MMI are not that hot on Garmin. Also, not much of India is digitised so updates may contain more information than we expect. For example my maps do not even have the Etawah byepass on NH2!.
Old 21st September 2011, 15:49   #2227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,
You can indeed transfer routes from google maps to your gps.
Use a program called Tyre. Tyre Help
This is for Garmin and TOM TOM.

This script generates a gpx file which you can download to mapsource or to your gps direct. I have used it so many times and works with out any flaws,

- I meant routes cannot be transferred to Nuvi. Nuvi cannot take routes.
- In other words Mapsource created routing cannot be transferred on to Nuvi. You can only reconstruct it by adding waypoints and guiding your PND through the desired route.
- Google paths can be converted to KML which can be exported to GPX and read into Mapsource on a PC.
- But from PC you can only transfer Waypoints to Garmin Nuvi. It cannot restore tracks back from PC.
- Now the GPX created from Google maps can be converted to an IMG which can then be loaded into Garmin as a transparent entity but I myself have not done it.
Source: Converting your gpx files to Garmin compatible IMG files :: GPX2IMG
Old 21st September 2011, 15:55   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
- I meant routes cannot be transferred to Nuvi. Nuvi cannot take routes.
- In other words Mapsource created routing cannot be transferred on to Nuvi. You can only reconstruct it by adding waypoints and guiding your PND through the desired route.
- Google paths can be converted to KML which can be exported to GPX and read into Mapsource on a PC.
- But from PC you can only transfer Waypoints to Garmin Nuvi. It cannot restore tracks back from PC.
- Now the GPX created from Google maps can be converted to an IMG which can then be loaded into Garmin as a transparent entity but I myself have not done it.
Source: Converting your gpx files to Garmin compatible IMG files :: GPX2IMG

I cant vouch for Nuvi series as I dont use one. . But for sure, it does have an option to save routes.

So if you want to create a route on google maps, create the driving direction on the google maps and then use the following Java script.

Once u have this script on the browser, click the gmap to gpx link and u will get a resultant file. Save it as filename.gpx and then open it in mapsource.
It must show you a route.

That route can be transferred to the GPS. I use a zumo as well and it certainly has the provision for storing routes.
Old 21st September 2011, 17:53   #2229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I cant vouch for Nuvi series as I dont use one. . But for sure, it does have an option to save routes.

So if you want to create a route on google maps, create the driving direction on the google maps and then use the following Java script.

Once u have this script on the browser, click the gmap to gpx link and u will get a resultant file. Save it as filename.gpx and then open it in mapsource.
It must show you a route.

That route can be transferred to the GPS. I use a zumo as well and it certainly has the provision for storing routes.

Zumo supports routes.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&ra=true

Routes: 50

Thats why you are able to do so. But I think still the route has to be a mapsource
generated route. (In other word you have to re-route in mapsource. Is it not?)
Old 21st September 2011, 18:13   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Zumo supports routes.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&ra=true

Routes: 50

Thats why you are able to do so. But I think still the route has to be a mapsource
generated route. (In other word you have to re-route in mapsource. Is it not?)

Let me have a look at Nuvi series and revert back to you if it can take routes.

Well on this script, ( gmaptogpx) there are two options: one is to generate route using the give way points in your google map directions. If you download that gpx on mapsource, initially it will show you straight lines between the way points. but you can select the route properties from the mapsource and then recalculate the same for the routing preferences you have given. Like shorter distance/ faster time etc.

another option is to click on the option full on the gmaptogpx generated file, which will generate a track. you can download the same to your mapsource and edit/ transfer to your gps.

Nuvi 20... series accepts routes. infact 100.

Nuvi 1460 , which a freind of mine has also accepts routes.

I hope my replies have not been confusing to you.

Very new to this forum.

you are welcome to mail me direct to vu2pmc@gmail.com should you have more queires on garmin gps.

I am no expert on them, but have been playing around with a few of them for a while now.

Cheers,
vu2pmc
Old 21st September 2011, 18:37   #2231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me have a look at Nuvi series and revert back to you if it can take routes.
Sorry I meant the basic Nuvi series (I have a 205W). While purchasing I thought these
things would be available de-facto. I did not realize they were premium

Quote:
Well on this script, ( gmaptogpx) there are two options: one is to generate route using the give way points in your google map directions. If you download that gpx on mapsource, initially it will show you straight lines between the way points. but you can select the route properties from the mapsource and then recalculate the same for the routing preferences you have given. Like shorter distance/ faster time etc.
Re-Calculate in Mapsource would basic would rereoute. In other words it would create a Mapsource route which can be transferred.
This assumes that the maps used in Mapsource to route and the in in PND are same. It also means that the routing algorithm in Mapsource and PND are same.

Many time people have had issues turning-off re-calculation while asking the PND to following a transferred route.

But more importantly what I dont understand is that why such simple features are made available at a premium? Should'nt these be available as basic features?

Quote:
another option is to click on the option full on the gmaptogpx generated file, which will generate a track. you can download the same to your mapsource and edit/ transfer to your gps.
Nuvi 20... series accepts routes. infact 100.
Nuvi 1460 , which a freind of mine has also accepts routes.

I hope my replies have not been confusing to you.
Very new to this forum.
Yes restoring of tracks is also an issue. Many have reported problems with Nuvi both because of routes and because of tracks.
So if one needs these two features then need to spend more money. Get Zumo or the Montana (handhelds).

Quote:
you are welcome to mail me direct to vu2pmc@gmail.com should you have more queires on garmin gps.

I am no expert on them, but have been playing around with a few of them for a while now.
Cheers,
vu2pmc
No problems. We all learn as we go along. That is why we have a forum!

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2011 at 18:42.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:58   #2232
BHPian

Looks like u r stuck with 205w when it comes to importing routes or tracks.

Just for an academic intrest, try the s/w "trip and waypoint manager" from garmin.

It does mention 205w as a compatible device. and this program is supposed to transfer routes done on the s/w to the device. I am nearly certain that this might not work. I have no means to test the same as I dont have Nuvi 205w handy with me.

I still use gpsmap 60 CSx as my primary gps. things u can do with this handheld is just amazing. It outperforms my zumo in most applications.

May I suggest that we create a repository of nice routes and tracks on the forum which can be easily searched and accessed.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2011 at 15:51. Reason: We STRICTLY prohibit piracy in any way, including asking members to PM you for more information on software sources
Old 21st September 2011, 21:51   #2233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like u r stuck with 205w when it comes to importing routes or tracks.

Just for an academic intrest, try the s/w "trip and waypoint manager" from garmin.
Why would one need this software? We can do all this within Mapsource.
One can install MMI/Satguide maps in Mapsource, perform routing on these maps and transfer waypoints and routes created on the PC to the device (PND).
(Its just that Nuvi 205W will NOT recongnize these routes that are transferred)

Am I missing something?

Quote:
May I suggest that we create a repository of nice routes and tracks on the forum which can be easily searched and accessed.
Here is your answer:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...acks-here.html

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2011 at 15:52. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:46   #2234
BHPian

Need device suggestions for upgrading from Roadpilot!
I ve been using the mapmyindia radpilot for over 1 year now and very satisfied with it.
I am now looking at upgrading to another device with
1. no compromise on maps and quality of navigation
2. larger screen
2. better touch sensitivity (capacitive touch?)
3. multimedia capability (if possible within budget)

my Budget is 12K. Please suggest options.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:04   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Need device suggestions for upgrading from Roadpilot!
I ve been using the mapmyindia radpilot for over 1 year now and very satisfied with it.
I am now looking at upgrading to another device with
1. no compromise on maps and quality of navigation
2. larger screen
2. better touch sensitivity (capacitive touch?)
3. multimedia capability (if possible within budget)

my Budget is 12K. Please suggest options.

have a look at Garmin Nuvi series. Make sure you get the one that can accept routes, and also do lane assist, with street name speaking capability. Nuvi 2565 is not bad. Mapmyindia maps for garmin is compatible with it.
Perhaps the only drawback is the MMI garmin maps wont support address search. Essentially a problem of MMI which they are trying to sort out.

Most Viewed