Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 18:21   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi @username, @Neilguy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
If you have an iPhone, then "navfree India" app is one of the best free GPS navigation applications. I am not sure if the same app is available for Android.

I have used it extensively and it will find a way even from the remotest places - Very useful. Its free, gets updated automatically and it downloads and remembers the route - So, it works even if gprs is not available. It works like a typical Garmin device - has POIs, voice guidance, automatic rerouting, etc.
I got Navfree India just yesterday on my iPhone 3G.

Approximately how long does it take for the GPS to get a lock? I stood out in the open yesterday for more than a minute and still see a blank screen (no map) with the "Poor GPS" message. I also tried zooming in/out just to ensure that I wasn't fully zoomed in on to a white patch (road/building etc.), and of course tried switching between 2G and 3G modes as well.

Does it take something like 4-5 minutes to get a lock, or should I try deleting and re-installing the app?

There are also a couple of other things I'm currently investigating and for which I have no answers -
  1. Importing a .kml file (created using in-browser Google Maps on a PC/laptop) into a maps application for the iPhone and then have it track progress (TBT Nav is a plus)
  2. Same as above for Windows Phone 7 (haven't really explored Bing Maps thoroughly enough and none of the 3rd party apps I tried is locking on to my location quickly enough)

In general I've seen 1st party apps acquiring a position fix much quicker than 3rd party apps. For instance, the built-in Maps application on the iPhone is always quicker than Endomondo or RunKeeper Pro or InstaMapper - at least in my limited experience.

Thanks!

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th August 2011, 18:43   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83

For the music playback does the device come with built in speakers ?
Can it be connected to the car speakers ?
Yes it comes with built in speakers.
The same speakers from where the voice guidance comes through.
The device I have comes with a headphone jack. So I can use a 3.5 mm cable and connect it to the aux in of the car.
I think it would be possible to do the same with the vx140s. Not 100 percent sure though.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:12   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix
Hi @username, @Neilguy,

I got Navfree India just yesterday on my iPhone 3G.

Approximately how long does it take for the GPS to get a lock? I stood out in the open yesterday for more than a minute and still see a blank screen (no map) with the "Poor GPS" message. I also tried zooming in/out just to ensure that I wasn't fully zoomed in on to a white patch (road/building etc.), and of course tried switching between 2G and 3G modes as well.

Does it take something like 4-5 minutes to get a lock, or should I try deleting and re-installing the app?
@spadix: In my experience (I have a 3Gs), it has never taken more than 10 / 15 seconds to get gps signal. Did u get a gps signal after 4/5 mins? If it takes so much time, just close the app and relaunch it. 3G is a bit slower phone n since the app is a heavy one, it may take so much time on your phone. In that case, u may try using Waze, which is a much lighter app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix
[*]Importing a .kml file (created using in-browser Google Maps on a PC/laptop) into a maps application for the iPhone and then have it track progress (TBT Nav is a plus)[*]Same as above for Windows Phone 7 (haven't really explored Bing Maps thoroughly enough and none of the 3rd party apps I tried is locking on to my location quickly enough)
i don't think this is possible yet.

Thanks
username is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 19:21   #2149
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Yes it comes with built in speakers.
The same speakers from where the voice guidance comes through.
The device I have comes with a headphone jack. So I can use a 3.5 mm cable and connect it to the aux in of the car.
I think it would be possible to do the same with the vx140s. Not 100 percent sure though.
Is there any model that can replace the head unit and serve as both gps device and music player.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:45   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Is there any model that can replace the head unit and serve as both gps device and music player.
You can check out options from caska.
Or opt for touch screen HU's from Sony, Pioneer, JVC etc.
And then add the MMI add on navigation kit. For these respective units.
Another new option now is the all In one HU from MMI, and I think sat guide has them too.
But replacing the HU way to navigation is way more expensive.
Approx 40-50K.
Where as a PND which serves the purpose will cost you only 10K for a decent one.
I am not entirely sure but I think the map upgrades for the HU ones cost a bit more too.
Plus you can use a PND while walking too.
As well as shift it into your other car when you need it.
Also useful to take it when you travel within India or abroad when you do not take your car along with you.
Looking at all the pro's of the PND. I think it's a wiser cheaper option which serves the purpose extremely well.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:35   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at all the pro's of the PND. I think it's a wiser cheaper option which serves the purpose extremely well.
Did check out a couple of in dash devices. They are way too expensive to my liking. PND's are a better option like you said.
VX140s seems more feature rich and VFM. But then i am pretty sure about not using its additional features i.e. multimedia and bluetooth. That puts it in line with Road pilot. Also, RP is available for 6990 on letsbuy.(7990 on MMI)
Not able to decide if i need to pay 3k more and go for the bigger screen of VX140s or settle for RP.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:03   #2152
BHPian

well karty_83,

the vx140s is no doubt value for money but depends on your priorities.

i can afford 'not to use a cellphone' when i'm on leave although i still carry one but i use it just to make calls and not receive any (as a back up in an emergency) so all i wanted was the basic gps and thereore i went in for the roadpilot. regarding the mounting, well, all the map my india gps devices come with the mount which can be used on your windshield glass (i mount mine close to center of the windshield on both my scorpio and getz) - it has a lockable suction cup and the screen can be tilted to adjust to your vision accordingly. the roadpilot screen serves the basic purpose well and the 140 will be better anyday given the extra features.

if you are my type - strictly looking just for a basic gps, roadpilot will suffice.

hope this helps and whatever you may choose, i dont see you going wrong,but somehow sensing your confusion i would suggest the lx140s

on a lighter note - the roadpilot is like a bullet or a safari or the thar, go/buy/live. dont bother about what the world says - if that's what you need just go ahead
(now that was passionately the most funniest summary of feelings i could come up with.)

on a serious note - listen to the guru's out here (my reasoning is biased since i use the roadpilot)

regards
booboo

Last edited by booboo : 12th August 2011 at 16:21. Reason: grammer oops
booboo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 21:48   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Did check out a couple of in dash devices. They are way too expensive to my liking. PND's are a better option like you said.
VX140s seems more feature rich and VFM. But then i am pretty sure about not using its additional features i.e. multimedia and bluetooth. That puts it in line with Road pilot. Also, RP is available for 6990 on letsbuy.(7990 on MMI)
Not able to decide if i need to pay 3k more and go for the bigger screen of VX140s or settle for RP.
The Road Pilot is a decent piece of equipment.
But i would recommend spending that just bit more for a feature rich PND with a bigger screen.
You may not need the features, or want to use them right now.
But if you do feel like using them, what then?
buy another device?
so my suggestion is to spend a bit more and go in for the LX140S.
That's my suggestion, now it's up to you to decide.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 13th August 2011, 01:25   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Just received an e-mail from MMI.
in which it says.
Buy any MMI GPS navigator and get next map update free.
I guess this is part of their independence special offering.
Old 13th August 2011, 12:12   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
The Road Pilot is a decent piece of equipment.
But i would recommend spending that just bit more for a feature rich PND with a bigger screen.
Will definitely consider your suggestion. I ll just have a look at both devices and take a final call.
Between, is it worth upgrading to the premium content or is street level good enough ?
Old 13th August 2011, 15:39   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83

Will definitely consider your suggestion. I ll just have a look at both devices and take a final call.
Between, is it worth upgrading to the premium content or is street level good enough ?
To be really honest the street level maps are good enough. But even i am really tempted to go in for the premium content maps to have a feel of them.
You can first try out the street level maps. In future if you feel like it. Its just a click or two and you can upgrade to premium content maps.
I think it's a one time 2K investment for the same.
Old 13th August 2011, 21:59   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Was just flipping through a mag and saw an advert by Sony.
It's for a 7 inch unit of theirs with a wvga screen.
It is advertised for 32,990/-
mentioned below...
Optional navi box supplied by MMI available @ 19,990/- MRP
This works out to roughly the price of the caska.
Also cheaper options are mentioned to.
The range starts from 22,990/- for a 6 inch screen.
This way one can take a unit from Sony,JVC,Pioneer etc and still hook it up to MMI. Either immediately or at a later stage.
But remember to make sure your shortlisted HU is compatible with the MMI Navi Box.
Old 13th August 2011, 23:09   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Just received an e-mail from MMI.
in which it says.
Buy any MMI GPS navigator and get next map update free.
I guess this is part of their independence special offering.
Took a demo of Vx - 140 today. Must say I'm quite impressed. And yes they are offering the 1 map update free if i buy it before Wednesday. I am genuinely considering this.
Old 14th August 2011, 08:35   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony.
It's for a 7 inch unit of theirs with a wvga screen.
It is advertised for 32,990/-
mentioned below...
Optional navi box supplied by MMI available @ 19,990/- MRP
This works out to roughly the price of the caska.
Also cheaper options are mentioned to.
The range starts from 22,990/- for a 6 inch screen.
This way one can take a unit from Sony,JVC,Pioneer etc and still hook it up to MMI. Either immediately or at a later stage.
But remember to make sure your shortlisted HU is compatible with the MMI Navi Box.
MMI has started supplying head units directly also, though they are not advertising the same on their site (strange). They are OE units with touchscreen, dvd, BT, GPS, usb, aux in et al like the caskas; I saw one OE unit for a Fortuner with inbuilt GPS and working steering controls; Final price was around 37k only with everything. Rear camera was 1.5k extra; works out much cheaper than the caskas/sonys etc. (model MMI 051168 MRP 45,000/-)
Ref - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2391937

Last edited by dkaile : 14th August 2011 at 08:40.
Old 14th August 2011, 08:39   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
MMI has started supplying head units directly also, though they are not advertising the same on their site (strange). They are OE units with touchscreen, dvd, BT, GPS, usb, aux in et al like the caskas; I saw one OE unit for a Fortuner with inbuilt GPS and working steering controls; Final price was around 27k only with everything. Rear camera was 1.5k extra; works out much cheaper than the caskas/sonys etc.
Are you referring to this? http://www.mapmyindia.com/gps/produc.../overview.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks