Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:31   #2251
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

More importantly are they trying to say, Garmin Nuvi H/W won't work?
Or MMI Maps won't work?

If maps won't work, no hardware should solve that problem.
If the reference if to Garmin Nuvi alone, I fail to understand the reason.

Or is it that MMI has stopped updating maps for Garmin Nuvi series of Products?
Old 4th October 2011, 10:02   #2252
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Or is it that MMI has stopped updating maps for Garmin Nuvi series of Products?
If so it will not be totally unexpected now that Navteq are here. Satnav is also not listing updates for Garmin, only new uSD cards.

Let me add that the hardware is only as good as the software in it.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:14   #2253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If so it will not be totally unexpected now that Navteq are here. Satnav is also not listing updates for Garmin, only new uSD cards.

Let me add that the hardware is only as good as the software in it.
That may be true. But then how good are Navteq maps compared to MMI and Satguide in terms of:
- All India coverage
- Pricing points
- Constant Updates
Old 4th October 2011, 10:26   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
That may be true. But then how good are Navteq maps compared to MMI and Satguide in terms of:
- All India coverage
- Pricing points
- Constant Updates
I think Navteq is the same set of maps that are in Nokia phones as Ovi maps. I have tried it extensively and found that except for major roads it kind of gets lost and keeps asking you to take U Turn. Once in Mysore I tried that to get me to New Dasaprakash. It took me on a merry go round for around 30 minutes. Later google maps brought me with much ease. Not sure if things have improved but Navteq was not that good when I used it. IMO even MMI is not accurate in the rural areas. And its better to go for an Android phone and get the 1990 Rs update from MMI. Works out cheaper. And GPS in latest Android phones are pretty good too. You get the lock almost immediately.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:10   #2255
Team-BHP Support

The other thing to note is that Navteq now fully owned by Nokia.
So I dont know how the deal works between Garmin and Naveteq (Nokia) for maps.

That also does not explain why MMI and Satguide should not support Garmin product lines.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:36   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That also does not explain why MMI and Satguide should not support Garmin product lines.
The latest MMI map version is 6.1 and they are available for 7K. Is it that MMI won't release updates for later versions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The MapmyIndia Garmin NUVI is useless, so try and get a Map series such as the 76CSX, 276CS or the 60 series.
Nuvi series is for regular road users. The units mentioned were high end handhelds with high sensitive GPS receivers.
Quote:
Can this be please translated by someone into "Please buy this ________________ and not this___________"
I guess Montana series might help - check here: Garmin | Montana™. But I am not sure if MMI of Garmin India maps are sufficient.
Quote:
Also I have a Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca. Is that the right one ?
I guess this model has MMI maps.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:00   #2257
BHPian

Garmin, recently launched 3 new PNDs in India, to best of my knowledge they were providing hardware for MMI but now they are not with them anymore.

Highlights of the PNDs are:
  • Lifetime Map Updates
  • Launch of Nuvi 2465LM & Nuvi 2565LM
  • Wireless Reverse Camera compatible to navigation device (Nuvi2565LM)
  • Front camera compatible to navigation device (Nuvi2565LM)
  • Point Address Search Navigation
  • Junction View, ecoRoute and Hands-free Calling
  • Indian Accent Text-to-Speech Speaking Street Names
  • Hindi Voice Guidance

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th October 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Replacing bullets
Old 11th October 2011, 14:14   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The MapmyIndia Garmin NUVI is useless, so try and get a Map series such as the 76CSX, 276CS or the 60 series.

Can this be please translated by someone into "Please buy this ________________ and not this___________"
Hi,
The Nuvi series has some limitations which become significant when using these in uncharted territory. In uncharted territory (which is what I think the raid will be), you need a 'trails GPS'.

If the small screen size does not bother you, add the eTrex HCx series to the above. The Montana also ticks all the right boxes, but there are too many reports of it being unstable as of now.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th October 2011, 14:58   #2259
BANNED

I had been in touch with SatGuide about upgrade of software for my Garmin 265WT, prompt reply as usual. The bottom line is that they are still to release the Aug/Sept 2011 version, and are on May 2011 version. Also, the upgrade will work with the old 1GB cards.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:00   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Garmin has released an update for India maps - City Navigator India NT 2011.30. I am using this version right now. Between MMI & Garmin, I felt Garmin has more coverage of roads, while MMI scores over in POIs. Update 2011.30 is a let down, actually bad, because POIs are spelt wrong. Version 2011.10 was better in that whatever POIs listed spelt correctly.
Eg: Serpentine street is called Penter street. I had to visit a place called Koppa. But it was spelt as Koopa.
Unless you want to enter the GPS co-ordinates manually, I wouldn't recommend Garmin India maps.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:25   #2261
BHPian

If one is looking for a Gps navigator only with no add on features, then is Road pilot the best buy ?
Old 18th October 2011, 08:24   #2262

anyone tried the free osm maps for india on their garmin? a comparison of that vs the satnav maps would be interesting
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/asia/.../india.img.zip
PlaneMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 10:53   #2263
BHPian

How to set Mapmyindia navigator right to reach Udaipur from Mumbai.
1. Do i need to set the destination Udaipur directly or need to break.

Subrat
Old 18th October 2011, 11:17   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet
How to set Mapmyindia navigator right to reach Udaipur from Mumbai.
1. Do i need to set the destination Udaipur directly or need to break.

Subrat
Set the destination as udaipur directly.
Then preview the route.
If you prefer an alternate route, then set those cities or highways as via points. This will take you to your destination through the route you prefer.
If you have no preferable route. Then just click udaipur as the destination and leave the rest to the navigator. However be warned the navigator at times has a horrible habit of taking you through some horrible roads. As far as possible stick to the main highways. Unless you like a little adventure ofcourse.
Good luck & Drive Safe!
Old 18th October 2011, 12:14   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Set the destination as udaipur directly.
Then preview the route.
If you prefer an alternate route, then set those cities or highways as via points. This will take you to your destination through the route you prefer.
If you have no preferable route. Then just click udaipur as the destination and leave the rest to the navigator. However be warned the navigator at times has a horrible habit of taking you through some horrible roads. As far as possible stick to the main highways. Unless you like a little adventure ofcourse.
Good luck & Drive Safe!
Thank you Sir. I wanted to stick to Highway only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks