Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 21:40   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys can you help me with this. Which maps would work with a navigation software in a BB 8900. I have downloaded wisepilot and have maps for mmi, destinator and sygic. Which of these will work? If not then what?
Old 29th December 2011, 13:26   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Here is the latest Google Maps V6.0.3 World Navigation For Unroot/Unhacked Phone from XDA.

Download the apk from here - [APP MOD] Google Maps v6.0.3 World Navigation For Unroot/Unhacked Phone - xda-developers

The one posted by kap04 was an older version.

Offline navigation now works perfectly in India on unrooted phones. Tested on Samsung Galaxy S2 (CDMA). This app co-exists with your existing Google Maps, so no uninstalling/deleting original application.

All Version above 5.0 uses
  • Vector Graphics - maps rather then Images in 4.6 which make them lot lot more fast to draw and download and easy store on sdcard
  • Offline Navigation - Cached Maps - Another good thing is we can download some Navigation and alternate routes to SDCard before we start navigating so if in between we loose connectivity we will not loose the Tracks
  • Building Tracking only for USA Big Buildings and Stores
  • Navigation via Public Transports in Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai etc
For those who get the "Login Failed" message, Pull down the status bar and press all three triangles and give permission, then close and restart Maps.

Just download the said APK and always keep it in your SDCard downloaded APK folders for easy reference.

This could spell doom for all paid apps/devices like Map My India/Sygic etc.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:49   #2388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Here is the latest Google Maps V6.0.3 World Navigation For Unroot/Unhacked Phone from XDA.

Download the apk from here - [APP MOD] Google Maps v6.0.3 World Navigation For Unroot/Unhacked Phone - xda-developers

..... unrooted phones. T
What about rooted phones. Surely you meant 'also' on rooted phones.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:50   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What about rooted phones. Surely you meant 'also' on rooted phones.
Obviously. Anything that works on unrooted phones will work on rooted phones too.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:50   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
This could spell doom for all paid apps/devices like Map My India/Sygic etc.
But google maps need data connection right ? Does this apk need one as well ?
Sygic/MMI has voice navigation in addition to offline maps. So there still remains an advantage with them until Google comes over with voice navigation in India.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:57   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
But google maps need data connection right ? Does this apk need one as well ?
Sygic/MMI has voice navigation in addition to offline maps. So there still remains an advantage with them until Google comes over with voice navigation in India.
You can do Offline Navigation in Google Maps also by caching specific areas of the map area which you want to travel to.

Enable it by - Menu-Settings-Labs-Select Pre-cache map area
After enabling it, long press on the map around the area you would like to cache, the tap on the bubble and select Pre-cache map area. You can select as many areas as you would like and rename them as per your preference. With each selection you basically cache 10 miles around the selected area which I found to be around 25kms in actual usage. I pre-cached and saved my route from Meerut to Delhi (about 70kms) in just 3 selections and now can use them offline.

Last edited by dkaile : 29th December 2011 at 15:00.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:02   #2392
BHPian

Quote:

I have downloaded this on my Android phone. But unsure on how to make it work. Can you help with step by step instruction please.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:06   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I have downloaded this on my Android phone. But unsure on how to make it work. Can you help with step by step instruction please.
Its quite simple actually. Just ensure in Settings-Applications-Unknown sources is ticked. Then simply click on the apk (maps6.0.3-ownhere-changepn.apk) from where you have stored it on the sd-card of your phone, allow access and it will install. You will see another Maps under Applications but this one will have a green ring on the lower right corner to differentiate it from the default Maps application. Click it and you are on your way.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 15:21   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Here's a screen shot of my pre-cached area in Google Maps where you can see that the entire route from Meerut to Delhi was pre-cached in 3 selections and the 4th selection included the entire Delhi too.

Name:  Pre Cached area in Google Maps.png
Views: 1926
Size:  265.4 KB
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 10:43   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a screen shot of my pre-cached area in Google Maps where you can see that the entire route from Meerut to Delhi was pre-cached in 3 selections and the 4th selection included the entire Delhi too.

Attachment 861773
I have this version, but the option of pre-cached maps is not showing up? I long pressed an area, but cant see bubble. clicked on more options, still pre cache option is not showing up.. Any help?
Old 1st January 2012, 11:19   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc

I have this version, but the option of pre-cached maps is not showing up? I long pressed an area, but cant see bubble. clicked on more options, still pre cache option is not showing up.. Any help?
Did you try enabling the 'Labs'?

If not, enable it and try again.

Old 1st January 2012, 21:18   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
The bubble option wasn't working for me as well, here's what i did. Select any address on the map, once the address is displayed hit details and the very last option is 'precache map are'

However, even after precaching the map area, it doesn't work without the data connection. Any help ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st January 2012 at 21:26.
Old 1st January 2012, 22:26   #2398
BHPian

I use Sygic 11.2.3 on my HTC Desire and it works flawlessly without the need for any data connection post installation. You just need to install the app and then download base files and state-wide maps for India based on your location and needs over WiFi once and that's it. This offline feature is immensely useful while travelling in areas where the data connection is not so good.

On another note - XUV has a navigator powered by MapMyIndia.com and mine has got the latest version of maps i.e. 6.1 but the maps in Sygic (also powered by MMI) are way better than in XUV. Not sure why?
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:27   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSoul View Post
I use Sygic 11.2.3 on my HTC Desire and it works flawlessly without the need for any data connection post installation. You just need to install the app and then download base files and state-wide maps for India based on your location and needs over WiFi once and that's it. This offline feature is immensely useful while travelling in areas where the data connection is not so good.

On another note - XUV has a navigator powered by MapMyIndia.com and mine has got the latest version of maps i.e. 6.1 but the maps in Sygic (also powered by MMI) are way better than in XUV. Not sure why?
I guess, it should be the user interface... Map data is the same, but integration of maps into firmware/software is the key to giving the best user experience. Map providers can only suggest, and it is the OEM manufacturer's firmware integrators, who design the front end...

I am not too sure about it though...

On a diff note, We have been discussing about pre cache of google map tiles for offline viewing...
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:29   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Did you try enabling the 'Labs'?

If not, enable it and try again.

Thanks, that was it, on enabling, pre chache option is there....

It did download an area I showed. However when I disconnected my wi fi and tried to zoom in, it was not showing up.. just was stuck up as if waiting for data.

Will give it a try again..

I also read somewhere that after 30 days, all pre cache maps would be cleared by google...

Has anyone tried Brut maps for Google?

Any feedbacks on the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks