Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 21:05   #2431
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
a) Garmin PND for navigation whilst driving (with MMI maps for added clarity)
I use the basic Garmin 205W with Satguide. Thinking of getting MMI maps.
But the 7K pushes me back. Satguide is decent for highways. Since I use the PND only for long drives it works.
Though I am seriously thinking of MMI as well for a long time.

I used to interface with Mapsource on Windows (thanks to @NetFreakBombay).
Now I use the BaseCamp.

Quote:
b) IP or Android Mobile for in city use whilst walking or using public transport
If you have a IP or an Android grab the Sygic app as its a good deal instead of buying the maps for Garmin.
I have neither! I am on a Nokia E-71. I like to use PND separate than a smart phone. (Though convergence is a good thing).
On the phone, its only google maps on gprs. I also have the Nokia maps (erstwhile OVI/Navteq) but I have never used them till date.

Last edited by ampere : 4th March 2012 at 21:07.
Old 4th March 2012, 21:14   #2432
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I use the basic Garmin 205W with Satguide. Thinking of getting MMI maps.
But the 7K pushes me back. Satguide is decent for highways. Since I use the PND only for long drives it works.
Though I am seriously thinking of MMI as well for a long time.
@ Rs 7K, MMI leaves quite a hole in your pocket..but in the long term you will appreciate it. Never used Satguide so I am not aware of its pros and cons.

Quote:
I have neither! I am on a Nokia E-71. I like to use PND separate than a smart phone. (Though convergence is a good thing). On the phone, its only google maps on gprs. I also have the Nokia maps (erstwhile OVI/Navteq) but I have never used them till date.
I have an E6 with Nokia maps, so based on the experience, I feel an E71 can be used for navigation whilst walking or using public transport. The screen size is too small to use in a car - at least for my 40+ year old peepers. For me, bigger screen are better from a visibility point of view.

Cheers!
Old 4th March 2012, 21:18   #2433
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to upgrade my Satguide maps in my GPS purchased some 1.5 years ago.

Can anyone confirm are there considerable improvements in maps of Satguide compared to 1 - 2 years now? They do not have any release notes to inform changes/updates in routes.
Old 4th March 2012, 22:46   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More important question is are navtec maps good for India?
Garmin I thought the same sources are Nokia OVI (I think).

I was not sure if maps are that good.
Would like to know more from others.
Latest version of Navteq (Garmin) maps are quite good.

Traveled from Mumai to Udaipur. This included city travel in Baroda and Ahemdabad. At all three cities (Baroda, Ahemdabad and Udiapur) Navteq coverage is excellent. Did not face any issue with locating buildings and shops in even narrow old city roads.

Cant comment on Highway coverage since NH8 is arrow straight and would not pose challenge to any Maps.

As per specs attached with Maps, now coverage includes 3000 cities.

Size comparison of Garmin maps (very crude comparison):
1. Satguide : 170 MB
2. MMI : 400 MB
3. Navteq (Garmin default): 600 MB
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 00:56   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

I've done the necessary to make Google turn-by-turn navigation work on my Defy+. It does work. The voice guidance is a bit ropey, though: I can understand it screwing up Tamil place names, but why, oh why, should "road" become "rud?"

Tempted enough to try MMI to spend the money: It's not much, for the mobile version
Old 5th March 2012, 02:00   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
But surprisingly the same content is available for 2K for mobiles (Sygic on Iphone/Android).
What is the best procedure to run mapmyindia on android (HTC Desire 2010 model)?

As I see it:
1) I can buy the CD from mapmyindia site, priced Rs.2,490.
2) e-download from same site priced Rs.1,990.
3) There is an app from the official Android market called 'Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS' for Rs.2,752.

Are all of these the same?

I would prefer option three, that is download from the Android market, but why is it costly?
It says updates are free for both the app and the maps (for eternity?)
Old 5th March 2012, 04:51   #2437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
As I see it:
1) I can buy the CD from mapmyindia site, priced Rs.2,490.
2) e-download from same site priced Rs.1,990.
3) There is an app from the official Android market called 'Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS' for Rs.2,752.

Are all of these the same?
I would prefer option three, that is download from the Android market, but why is it costly?
It says updates are free for both the app and the maps (for eternity?)
I think all of them are same. But I not sure about free update. May be the App version would be a free update.
That is in case they have to update S/W of the App. But the update map has to be purchased I think,
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:19   #2438
BHPian

You have a s/w called Sygic Aura which is available from the sygic store. This package is slightly better than what mapmyindia sells. Possibly mapmyindia next release would be sygic aura itself.

Sygic aura ( version is 11.2..) has one great feature which was hitherto not available with any sygic version.
they are, 1. ability to search google POI from the sygic app, and also display that google POI on sygic map and then able to navigate to that POI .

2. ability to send custom POI to sygic has been added.

I would suggest, you should first call mapmyindia and ask when they would release sygic aura version with thier about to launch map version 7. I guess it is ready for launch anytime.

If that is going to delay for over a month, you may use the sygic store option.

Sygic Aura is worth it , no matter from whom you buy.
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 06:21   #2439
BHPian

All,

I am looking to buy an MMI Navigator soon. Currently it is being shipped with v6.1 of the maps. But on the website, v7.0 is available for downloads (paid of course).

Does anyone know when they will start shipping their PNDs with v7.0? Does it make sense for me to buy now, or wait for the new version to be available as standard?

Thanks in advance.
DeepChat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:18   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've done the necessary to make Google turn-by-turn navigation work on my Defy+. It does work. The voice guidance is a bit ropey, though: I can understand it screwing up Tamil place names, but why, oh why, should "road" become "rud?"

Tempted enough to try MMI to spend the money: It's not much, for the mobile version
How did you go about this? I have a Samsung S2.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:48   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
You can get the Google Maps with worldwide navigation enabled from here : [UPDATE]Google Maps 6.3.0 [WorldWide Navigation Activated]
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 14:25   #2442
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepChat View Post
Currently it is being shipped with v6.1 of the maps. But on the website, v7.0 is available for downloads (paid of course).
Thanks for the latest information, DeepChat. When I checked MapMyIndia website a few days ago, it showed only v 6.1. I have not received any mail informing me of the latest update. Really lethargic fellows at MMI. Every time, I have to ask them. I have just now sent mail asking them to send update and licence files. This is the automated response I received back immediately from the lethargic MMI:
Re: MMI Maps v 7.0 - Map upgrade to 2 year plan. From Monika Jaipuriar monika.jaipuriar@mapmyindia.co.inhide details To j.ravi

Dear Sender I am out of office from 8th to 11th March. I will respond to your email by early next week. Best Regards Monika
Quote:
Does it make sense for me to buy now, or wait for the new version to be available as standard?
Even if you buy now with v6.1, you will be given free upgrade for v7.0. Confirm with MMI customer support.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th March 2012 at 14:43.

Old 9th March 2012, 15:53   #2443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
I got the directions where to find the info from this very thread! [CORRECTION: I think it must have been the android thread]

As Klub Class says...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
You can get the Google Maps with worldwide navigation enabled from here : [UPDATE]Google Maps 6.3.0 [WorldWide Navigation Activated]
The accent is a bit funny. I can understand it garbling some local names, but why does road have to become "rud?"

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th March 2012 at 15:54.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 15:59   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I got the directions where to find the info from this very thread! [CORRECTION: I think it must have been the android thread]

As Klub Class says...
Will check on it when i get home today. So the pronunciations are bad but how about the map accuracy & detailing?
Old 9th March 2012, 16:56   #2445
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I have just now sent mail asking them to send update and licence files.
Personally spoke to MMI customer support and immediately got email with links for downloading upgraded map file and also licence file.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks