Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 20:27   #2446
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Any source of Navteq for Garmin from within India. US$100 looks stiff. SatGuide are still to upgrade - even though end Feb / 1st week of March are over.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:04   #2447
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Will check on it when i get home today. So the pronunciations are bad but how about the map accuracy & detailing?
I only tried it for a short trip, and I knew the way anyway, although the roads were new which is why I wanted the backup.

It took a while before it got the point that I was going to take a particular route, but one it got it, it was ok. Map accuracy and detail: same as Google Maps, I suppose.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 11:25   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
You can get the Google Maps with worldwide navigation enabled from here : [UPDATE]Google Maps 6.3.0 [WorldWide Navigation Activated]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I got the directions where to find the info from this very thread! [CORRECTION: I think it must have been the android thread]

As Klub Class says...

The accent is a bit funny. I can understand it garbling some local names, but why does road have to become "rud?"
Just went to the link. Do I have to do any of the "rooting" business to get this to work on my S2 (I9100G)?
Old 12th March 2012, 13:56   #2449
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Personally spoke to MMI customer support and immediately got email with links for downloading upgraded map file and also licence file.
From the last four days, I have been juggling with my MMI Lx130 navigator and my laptop. I downloaded the v7.0 map and licence files. I copied and replaced these files on to my MMI Lx130. But, when I checked the settings, it still shows v6.0. I made umpteen number of calls to MMI support and followed their instructions. But, I am yet to see v7.0 map in my navigator's screen.:( I didn't face any issues during the last two upgrades.

Old 12th March 2012, 14:55   #2450
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
But, I am yet to see v7.0 map in my navigator's screen.:( I didn't face any issues during the last two upgrades.
Success at last. I moved all the files under MapmyIndia folder and kept the SHELL.INI file outside. Now the maps are updated to v7.0. Now, I can see building foot-prints in Bangalore.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dsc05745.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:11   #2451
Distinguished - BHPian

Any thoughts about TomTom ? TomTom's website says available soon at a few outlets like Reliance, Flipkart etc. No price listed, but only 3 models indicated.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:40   #2452
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Latest version of Navteq (Garmin) maps are quite good.

Traveled from Mumai to Udaipur. This included city travel in Baroda and Ahemdabad. At all three cities (Baroda, Ahemdabad and Udiapur) Navteq coverage is excellent. Did not face any issue with locating buildings and shops in even narrow old city roads.

Cant comment on Highway coverage since NH8 is arrow straight and would not pose challenge to any Maps.

As per specs attached with Maps, now coverage includes 3000 cities.

Size comparison of Garmin maps (very crude comparison):
1. Satguide : 170 MB
2. MMI : 400 MB
3. Navteq (Garmin default): 600 MB
I contacted a distributor. He was very helpful and advised to that the only way I can get the maps is by downloading from the US ($99.99 while it is £99.99 from UK). Has to be a download and not a SD card. He said, download it, copy to a SD card and it will easily activate. Anybody having done it. Also, they have a 4.3"unit with Lifetime Maps which is advertised for 14.5k on eBay. Any experience on this.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:59   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I contacted a distributor. He was very helpful and advised to that the only way I can get the maps is by downloading from the US ($99.99 while it is £99.99 from UK). Has to be a download and not a SD card. He said, download it, copy to a SD card and it will easily activate.
That is definitely one way of getting the maps (I.e. download and get is activated).

Or you can buy it directly on SD card.

Product details for map download:

Quote:
Version: 2011.40
Released: December, 2011
Part Number: 010-D0625-00
Product details for Maps on SD card

Quote:
Version: 2011.40
Released: December, 2011
Part Number: 010-11432-00
I picked up this product from US (maps on SD card).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...217&pvID=66202
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...217&pvID=66652
Old 13th March 2012, 15:07   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I just wanted to know, if any of these offline maps like MMI, Navteq, etc would work on Blackberry Playbook for Navigation ?
Old 13th March 2012, 16:15   #2455
Senior - BHPian

No, none of these work on playbook. You can get MMI to work if you are a software developer (I.e. Purchase Android version of MMI/Sygic and package it for playbook).

Or, you can use Waze (it uses maps from Satguide).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:41   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any thoughts about TomTom ? TomTom's website says available soon at a few outlets like Reliance, Flipkart etc. No price listed, but only 3 models indicated.
I checked it at Reliance and price was around 14k and that was the only model available that time. Also, they connected me to some concern person on phone as they guys @ reliance were not able to give any more information. All I wanted to know was that can we use any tomtom device brought from US & can have maps on it. What a person over a call told me that the device has built in maps and it doesn't support SD card as it's locked and they are from UK.
Old 13th March 2012, 16:49   #2457
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Pradip. So we will need to wait till TomTom launches officially.

btw, guys at Reliance - like most other places - dont know the technical details. Even simple stuff like that.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:29   #2458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
What a person over a call told me that the device has built in maps and it doesn't support SD card as it's locked and they are from UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
btw, guys at Reliance - like most other places - dont know the technical details. Even simple stuff like that.
You can order maps and other downloadable products from their Ireland site.

Ordering from countries not supported by TomTom website

The Via 100 has a SD card slot which, according to TomTom, will be
enabled in a future firmware version.

As for help from Reliance and other retailers - My experience tells me those sales persons are only there to direct you to the shelf where they keep the product and give very high level product overviews.

TomTom only provides 1 year of free map updates while Garmin provides life time free updates with certain devices...life time being device lifetime which could be anywhere between 2-4 years before it is phased out and a new model introduced.

Cheers!
Old 13th March 2012, 19:44   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As for help from Reliance and other retailers - My experience tells me those sales persons are only there to direct you to the shelf where they keep the product and give very high level product overviews.
and nothing more

Quote:
TomTom only provides 1 year of free map updates while Garmin provides life time free updates with certain devices...
MMI gives only 1 or 2 yrs updates, based on plan you purchase. No option for interim upgrade either. I dont expect TomTom to follow the "life-time" approach.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:36   #2460
BHPian

Satguide has gone awfully quiet lately !! Are they still in business?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks