Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 22:30   #2191
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
If one buys mmi maps for a Garmin device, then wont it run on mmi software ?
I was under the impression that the Gui and features and functionality would be same on both the pnd's if it has mmi maps in it.
No as @nfb said, they would be running separate software.
Also MMI maps for Garmin cost about 7K. This is only the maps data given to
you in a SD/MicroSD card which you push in to your Garmin hardware.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 00:08   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
If one buys mmi maps for a Garmin device, then wont it run on mmi software ?
I was under the impression that the Gui and features and functionality would be same on both the pnd's if it has mmi maps in it.
No, MMI just supplies map "data".

Software is from Garmin, so functionality and UI will be like any other Garmin device.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 11th September 2011 at 00:09.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 23:59   #2193
BHPian

Is it possible to make a Nuvi (or any other software, like Google Maps running on smartphones) follow a previously traced out route (available as a GPX file)? For example someone already travelled to a destination which is not covered by any available map (say a far away coffee estate homestay, reached by following village roads), and I get the gps log of his car, how can I follow the same? Sure enough I can enter the final GPS co-ordinates as destination but that'll take to the closest documented road several kilometers away. Can I somehow transfer the gpx to my Nuvi and ask it to follow?
Old 12th September 2011, 00:16   #2194
Senior - BHPian

You can import a track into Nuvi (and recent versions of most softwares).

It will show up as a series of points, highlighted in a different color. System wont provide voice guidance if the track of off-road. But you can follow it visually.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:06   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Is it possible to make a Nuvi (or any other software, like Google Maps running on smartphones) follow a previously traced out route (available as a GPX file)? For example someone already travelled to a destination which is not covered by any available map (say a far away coffee estate homestay, reached by following village roads), and I get the gps log of his car, how can I follow the same? Sure enough I can enter the final GPS co-ordinates as destination but that'll take to the closest documented road several kilometers away. Can I somehow transfer the gpx to my Nuvi and ask it to follow?
Oruxmaps is a great software to do what you want to do and much more. I used it in my recent trip to Spiti and logged every route that I took. Next time when I'm going there all I have to do is load the route and follow it (visually though, no voice aided guidance). One can export routes to both .gpx and .kml files, add waypoints etc. pretty much everything that other softwares are capable of.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:06   #2196
Senior - BHPian

A quick review of MapMyIndia maps on my Android based phone.
I am using Motorola Defy. I have downloaded and installed Sygic (which is nothing but MapMyIndia maps) recently. I am still evaluating the maps, hence I have not purchased it.
I have used the maps in Pune and outside on the higway as well. Brief comparison with Google Maps.
1. Sygic maps are completely offline (hence no data charges will be incurred).
2. Maps cost about Rs. 2000 (updates are priced separately)
3. I am told, you cannot transfer your license from one device to another later on - I don't know if license will be an issue if I upgrade my Android from 2.2 to 2.3 later on. Hence I am delaying purchase.
4. The application is heavy on battery usage. Do not use without a charger. I am not sure if car charger will be able to have a charging rate better than discharging rate of the application. I will test this once I have a car charger for my phone.
5. I wanted to visit Bhimashankar from Pune. Sygic does have a place with this name on the maps, however, when I tried searching for it, it does not show that place in the points of interest or anywhere else. In contrast, Google Maps shows it as an entry.
6. I had to manually figure out where is the place from Google Maps and then switch back to Sygic and then zoom into the map to the area where Bhimashankar is, then finally select the place. Took more than 10 minutes to lock down to this place.
7. Google Maps UI appears to be easier to use compared to Sygic. It is easier to change routes and auto calculate etc, in Google Maps.
8. Using Sygic, we decided to deviate from the route that it had suggested. Hence instead of the shorter route that Sygic recommended, we decided to follow the longer and possibly better route (in terms of road condition).
Sygic was unable to auto calculate the route after this. It was suggesting that we go ahead for 2 KM and then take a U turn if possible. After we reached that point, Sygic gave up on the directions.
So, the auto calculation will not work, if the destination is a point that you select via the maps. It will however work, if the destination is a place which you can select by using the search button. In my case, Bhimashankar was not in the database, hence this did not help.
9. On my return trip, within City limits, we decided to not follow Sygic's route. Based on our current location, it automatically updated the route and suggested turns. However, the next suggestion was not very good and the route suggested was not the best one.

So, although the Maps look good on screen, I am still not sure, if it is worth Rs. 2000 that they ask for.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 21:16   #2197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can import a track into Nuvi (and recent versions of most softwares).

It will show up as a series of points, highlighted in a different color. System wont provide voice guidance if the track of off-road. But you can follow it visually.
@NFB, this does not work on my Nuvi 205W. If the track is a part of archives in Nuvi you can see it in a different colour.
But if you want import a different track log into Nuvi from your PC, this does not show-up.

Although Garmin support confirmed that this is possible, but somehow does not work for me.

The other big drawback is that, one cannot do route planning in mapsource and transfer that data to the device. Looks like its now possible in current devices
My Nuvi 205W does not support that. (This seems to be the most basic thing one would want).

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2011 at 21:20.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:21   #2198
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently downloaded NDrive application for Satio U1 and quite impressed with it. The only problem I'm facing it takes atleast 10 minutes to lock the GPS signal.

I have the map for UK & India aswell, but both were updated in 2009. Where can I get the latest update? atleast for India (for UK I have Garmin Nuvi navigator)
Old 12th September 2011, 21:25   #2199
BHPian

Sygic maps is very good. There is one option to reduce battery usage, it runs in background with display off and just prompt the voice for navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
A quick review of MapMyIndia maps on my Android based phone.
I am using Motorola Defy. I have downloaded and installed Sygic (which is nothing but MapMyIndia maps) recently. I am still evaluating the maps, hence I have not purchased it.
I have used the maps in Pune and outside on the higway as well. Brief comparison with Google Maps.
1. Sygic maps are completely offline (hence no data charges will be incurred).
2. Maps cost about Rs. 2000 (updates are priced separately)
3. I am told, you cannot transfer your license from one device to another later on - I don't know if license will be an issue if I upgrade my Android from 2.2 to 2.3 later on. Hence I am delaying purchase.
4. The application is heavy on battery usage. Do not use without a charger. I am not sure if car charger will be able to have a charging rate better than discharging rate of the application. I will test this once I have a car charger for my phone.
5. I wanted to visit Bhimashankar from Pune. Sygic does have a place with this name on the maps, however, when I tried searching for it, it does not show that place in the points of interest or anywhere else. In contrast, Google Maps shows it as an entry.
6. I had to manually figure out where is the place from Google Maps and then switch back to Sygic and then zoom into the map to the area where Bhimashankar is, then finally select the place. Took more than 10 minutes to lock down to this place.
7. Google Maps UI appears to be easier to use compared to Sygic. It is easier to change routes and auto calculate etc, in Google Maps.
8. Using Sygic, we decided to deviate from the route that it had suggested. Hence instead of the shorter route that Sygic recommended, we decided to follow the longer and possibly better route (in terms of road condition).
Sygic was unable to auto calculate the route after this. It was suggesting that we go ahead for 2 KM and then take a U turn if possible. After we reached that point, Sygic gave up on the directions.
So, the auto calculation will not work, if the destination is a point that you select via the maps. It will however work, if the destination is a place which you can select by using the search button. In my case, Bhimashankar was not in the database, hence this did not help.
9. On my return trip, within City limits, we decided to not follow Sygic's route. Based on our current location, it automatically updated the route and suggested turns. However, the next suggestion was not very good and the route suggested was not the best one.

So, although the Maps look good on screen, I am still not sure, if it is worth Rs. 2000 that they ask for.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:20   #2200
Senior - BHPian

I am using Sygic Aura on the P500 and it's good but not great. Sometimes it acts real funny but google gets us to the place more or less.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:40   #2201
BHPian

Have received the OneIndia maps from Satguide today but the version is showing up as 26May-11 instead of 11Aug-11. Have written to them. Let's see how it works out. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a major problem though.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:38   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

NDrive in my Satio works pretty well, but sometimes the application closes and returns to the phone's home screen. What could be the problem?
NDrive users, are you facing such problems? I tried removing the application and installing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Where can I get the latest update? atleast for India (for UK I have Garmin Nuvi navigator)
Some pointers please.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:46   #2203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Yes you can do this by simply converting gpx file into kml file, there are many converters available or record tracks as kml itself by using gpsed.
Then put this file in phones memory card and open it, if google maps is installed in the phone you will see the route in google map.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:15   #2204
BHPian

I am planning to buy Vx140s from Mapmy India. I had a couple of queries on that:
a) Is it value for money.
b) Is it better to buy from a dealer or directly call their sales rep.

Any quick suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:10   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
I am planning to buy Vx140s from Mapmy India. I had a couple of queries on that:
a) Is it value for money.
b) Is it better to buy from a dealer or directly call their sales rep.

Any quick suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I bought from a sales rep, and he gave me his card.
This is from when they were only selling from the site.

a few(8-9) months later, something happened, and it refused to switch on.

I pulled out the card, gave this guy a call, and he got the unit picked from my home, changed it, AND upgraded the maps.
cool, eh?

dont know what they do now, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks