Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:21   #721
Senior - BHPian

ANy GPS navigation device that can be used with Google Maps?

Any navigation device that comes with pre-loaded (or is compatible with) Google Maps?
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:37   #722
BANNED

I am not that sore about the friction mount any more since the vacuum mount is standard in the base package.

I am also planning a US Import through a friend- Amazon or eBay. On eBay.com you can use your ebay.in login. Just make sure you change the ship to before paying. Now these things can be easily paid using Credit cards. My card does not even have the foreign currency surcharge. 265/285 I will see the pricing at that time and decide.

If you go to ebay then make sure you have one of their top rated vendors. Any other options.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:23   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Checked the 285 too but somehow liked the reviews of the 265W more so stuck to it.
What is different in 285 and 265? I mean is there any specific difference in feature that the reviewers mentioned or its just device review that was good.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:44   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
What is different in 285 and 265? I mean is there any specific difference in feature that the reviewers mentioned or its just device review that was good.
Actually there doesnt seem to be any difference between the two, apart from features which will not be used in India anyways. I guess both are pretty good deals so its just about personal preference. You are right, i guess 285 is cheaper as the MSN service is ending so it makes a pretty good point for itself.
oof i never know it would be so confusing, one day i want 265, the next day the 285 :(
Old 24th April 2010, 10:38   #725
BHPian

Just now ordered India Map from Satguide. I had requested them to provide me the map on a 2GB SD card and they agreed to it. The total cost of the map with 2GB card is Rs. 1480/-.

I got the map for my Garmin Nuvi 750. Will update when I get the map.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:07   #726
BHPian

Just got a Garmin 260W from Amazon (picked up a refurbished one for 99USD). Works fine here, will be purchasing India Maps from Satguide on my return in a couple of weeks, so hope to test it back home.

Was planning to get the Garmin 265WT earlier, specially for the Bluetooth functionality (since my audio does not support it) but multiple reviews seemed to suggest that the conversation quality is a bit poor (specially the volume). So decided to go for a basic model.

The comparison on the Garmin site is actually inaccurate - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=37418

The Garmin 260W does have the "Where am I" feature (and also the keyboard selection, thought thats just a gimmick).
Old 25th April 2010, 22:37   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredeviljpr View Post
Just now ordered India Map from Satguide. I had requested them to provide me the map on a 2GB SD card and they agreed to it. The total cost of the map with 2GB card is Rs. 1480/-.

I got the map for my Garmin Nuvi 750. Will update when I get the map.
How come the cost is 1,480/-? The website says 990/-. Is it that they charge extra for the SD card?

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 25th April 2010 at 22:55.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:40   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Just got a Garmin 260W from Amazon (picked up a refurbished one for 99USD).
Just a note. The Garmin 260W (brand new, non-refurbished) is now available on Amazon for 99USD. Just an FYI. Total VFM i think.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:55   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
How come the cost is 1,480/-? The website says 990/-. Is it that they charge extra for the SD card?
They provide the map on a 1 GB card, but I had requested for a 2 GB card. Hence, they charged Rs 490 for the extra 1 GB. The map cost is Rs Rs. 990/- inclusive of taxes and shipping charges.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:04   #730
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually there doesnt seem to be any difference between the two, apart from features which will not be used in India anyways. I guess both are pretty good deals so its just about personal preference. You are right, i guess 285 is cheaper as the MSN service is ending so it makes a pretty good point for itself.
oof i never know it would be so confusing, one day i want 265, the next day the 285 :(
The 285 is a discontinued model. Hence I'd suggest people to stick to 265.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:21   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The 285 is a discontinued model. Hence I'd suggest people to stick to 265.
I agree, but the more i research the more i come to see that both are exactly the same things with MSN service being the only difference and now that MSN service is being discontinued, they are discontinuing the product. Plus the price difference is also substantial now. Thats why the confusion.

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th April 2010 at 15:23.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:28   #732
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, but the more i research the more i come to see that both are exactly the same things with MSN service being the only difference and now that MSN service is being discontinued, they are discontinuing the product. Plus the price difference is also substantial now. Thats why the confusion.
The GPS processor and speed could be different. Further the GPS Antenna could be older one than SiRF III. Garmin stopped revealing the details long back. 285 could be using an older process with lesser processor speed.
The only visible change that they'd have published is that MSN service is being discontinued.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:17   #733
Senior - BHPian

MMI Road Pilot vs. Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca

Guys,

I called up MMI office today with an intent of purchasing an MMI Road Pilot. They told me that Road Pilot is out of stock and would be available only next month. Instead, they offered me Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca at the same rate provided I buy one year map upgrade plan as well.

I am cautiously confused here - Per the MMI website, MRP for MMI RP is INR 7,990 and that for Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca is INR 13,990. Even if you throw in one year upgrade plan of INR 1,250, it still sounds too good to be true unless TravelPilot Lucca is an obsolete model.

Experts, please help
Old 26th April 2010, 18:24   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

I called up MMI office today with an intent of purchasing an MMI Road Pilot. They told me that Road Pilot is out of stock and would be available only next month. Instead, they offered me Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca at the same rate provided I buy one year map upgrade plan as well.

I am cautiously confused here - Per the MMI website, MRP for MMI RP is INR 7,990 and that for Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca is INR 13,990. Even if you throw in one year upgrade plan of INR 1,250, it still sounds too good to be true unless TravelPilot Lucca is an obsolete model.

Experts, please help
Stay away from MMI, the upgrades will be expansive. SatNav has better quality and maps too. It is a myth and hype that MMI maps are better. I am using both MMI and SatNav maps and both are comparable.

SatNav is value for money in long run.

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 26th April 2010 at 18:25. Reason: spelling
Old 26th April 2010, 18:30   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
SatNav is value for money in long run.
Thanks for the feedback Rishi. Two points:

Are you saying that SatNav maps are better than MMI maps?

What is the starting range for SatNav devices? IMHO the MMI RP at 7,990 is a good VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks