Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 14:57   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by Garmin on Nokia! Are you saying that your Nokia is running Garmin s/w? In either case, I do not intend to use MMI on my Garmin 'device' since their maps are way to expensive compared to SatNav.
Garmin also has a application called Garmin mobile xt which can be run on symbian / windows phones which has GPS. I run the application instead of nokia maps and use satnav maps compatible for garmin on it for navigation
Old 12th May 2010, 15:01   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Not sure what you mean by Garmin on Nokia! Are you saying that your Nokia is running Garmin s/w? In either case, I do not intend to use MMI on my Garmin 'device' since their maps are way to expensive compared to SatNav.

Which device/map combo are you using?
I am using the MMI, VX140. I am not sure about the map combo though
Old 12th May 2010, 15:01   #873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
How does the unlock code work? Asking bcos I received my SD card last week (and there was no additional documentation with it) and I should be getting my Garmin this weekend.
Do I need to get the unlock code from Satnav?
No need to do anything. Just push the SD card into Garmin and it should work just like that.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:50   #874
Senior - BHPian

Yes there is a map ID and a unlock code for each map which has to be configured
Old 12th May 2010, 19:40   #875
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Yes there is a map ID and a unlock code for each map which has to be configured
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No need to do anything. Just push the SD card into Garmin and it should work just like that.
@f1fan. You don't need to do anything with the unlock code. It's there in your sd card along with the map file. Normally, garmin needs an unlock code that goes with the map. Since the sd card already has the unlock code in a file, just pop it in and start using your pnd.
In case you don't have an unlock file, then you need to ask satnav for the same. In case you want to use multiple maps, then you may have to get various unlock codes for various maps and then cut paste them in just one file. Anyway, for starters, just pop the card in and start navigating!
Old 13th May 2010, 00:24   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Which means that I'd face this issue even if I run MMI maps on a Garmin device, right?

Yes you would face same issue but it is an issue that is not too bad. Most roads are mapped correctly just the odd anomaly here are there.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:43   #877
Senior - BHPian

So i used the 205w+SatGuide maps today while driving to office - not that i required it - but i was checking it out

I have used In car GPS systems in US many times, but my experience here was less than optimal. For one it took a lot of time to do the routing. I started driving since i didn't need it, but it was more than 15 minutes before it could find the route. (This was from Airport Rd-> Cessna in ORR).

I am used to some pretty crisp navigation with systems probably older than this model, can anyone share their experience in Bangalore?
Old 13th May 2010, 09:21   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am used to some pretty crisp navigation with systems probably older than this model, can anyone share their experience in Bangalore?
Probably the garmin 205w was configured to show you a shorter route than the faster route. Or was it supposed to check for GSM/ bluetoothGPS before checking AGPS did you check the settings.

the first time link establishment with satellite takes rime and it is better to stand out of the car and get the link established and then get into the car.

As far as the maps are concerned for bangalore, Garmin City Navigator India 2009 V4 (navteq) is the best and gold standard for bangalore. i havent checked out the latest.4.1v of MMI, though i have heard that it is good. When i was in bangy last time this garmin city navigator did a great job in navigating me from koramangala to marthahalli

Last edited by geeash : 13th May 2010 at 09:22.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:48   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
So i used the 205w+SatGuide maps today while driving to office - not that i required it - but i was checking it out

I have used In car GPS systems in US many times, but my experience here was less than optimal. For one it took a lot of time to do the routing. I started driving since i didn't need it, but it was more than 15 minutes before it could find the route. (This was from Airport Rd-> Cessna in ORR).

I think the first time you use it, it takes a long time. Happened with my Garmin device as well. Subsequent routings will not take more than 5 to 10 seconds. Thats what my experience has been.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:49   #880
Team-BHP Support

I have Satguide on my HTC phone for mere 990 bucks with one more year worth of upgrade free.

I have recently ordered Garmin 260W from 20North.com so that I can permanently leave in on the GV. I thought of getting MMI on that. But MMI prices make no sense.

Satguide map for Garmin is Rs.990 + free upgrade for one year.
MMI map for Garmin is Rs.7000 without free upgrade, Rs.8250 with 1 year upgrade.

And there is no major demonstrated difference between Satguide and MMI. I have heard that MMI has better coverage of rural areas. But how can one justify the 8 times price difference between two major competitors.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:12   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And there is no major demonstrated difference between Satguide and MMI. I have heard that MMI has better coverage of rural areas. But how can one justify the 8 times price difference between two major competitors.
From what i have used satguide is more accurate on roads and routings though it has less POI's. MMI has a hell a lot of POI's but many roads are missing and sometimes the roads are not accurate.

Satguide has 404 cities mapping and MMI has 620 cities But all major cities are covered in both.

My 2 cents for satguide or garmin city navigator navteq as it isd 1/8 the price of MMI.

What i do is. when i travel to each place i record the location on my locations and edit and add details. so in due course of time you can have your own custom made POI located on the maps

Last edited by geeash : 13th May 2010 at 10:15.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:57   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
From what i have used satguide is more accurate on roads and routings though it has less POI's. MMI has a hell a lot of POI's but many roads are missing and sometimes the roads are not accurate.

Satguide has 404 cities mapping and MMI has 620 cities But all major cities are covered in both.
I think there may be regional differences in accuray of the road mapping etc. I know for areas in Punjab and Haryana where I tested they both showed similar mapping flaws. In Himachal they both had poor mapping to Kasauli.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:08   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have recently ordered Garmin 260W from 20North.com
Samurai - please do share your experience with 20north.com. I am also planning to order a Garmin unit (not decided on the model yet) from them.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:47   #884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know how such a difference can be economically justified either --- but I do know that a product that gives me a blank screen when I drive five or ten km out of the city would be useless, however cheap!
Old 14th May 2010, 00:03   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Satguide map for Garmin is Rs.990 + free upgrade for one year.
MMI map for Garmin is Rs.7000 without free upgrade, Rs.8250 with 1 year upgrade.
Samurai, MMI gives MMI map free with its cheapest model (the Blaupunkt Lucca in my case) for Rs 8,000/- including device and it charges Rs 7,000/- only for the maps for Garmin?

That's almost highway robbery!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks