Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:44   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i suppose same clarity could also be observed in LX130 as well, and how about installing windshield mount when my windscreen has a Sun film, will it not effect the sunfilm
I dont think LX 130 plays video? They havent mentioned it in their website, Does it plays video?
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:29   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I dont think LX 130 plays video? They havent mentioned it in their website, Does it plays video?
Yes, it does, i have the MMI leaflet where it does have two benefits other than GPS --> Picture viewer and Video/ Music Play
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:22   #603
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Any firsthand reviewes of the road pilot. The deal at 8000 INR looks to be interesting as I want the GPS device for navigation purposes only. I have the following dilemma:

1. What are the advantages of a standalone GPS device over a PDA based GPS system? My main requirement is Navigation?

2. IN the event there are substantial benefits in switching to a standalone device? Which hardware is currently th best? Reviews suggest Garmin to be the best? Are there members who have used both Garmin and Mio? which do they rate better? I believe Magellen is not available in India?

3. Coming to the last part which maps MMI, Satguide (?), Satnav are reputed to be the best in terms of details and accuracy?

I am aware that the answers could possibly exist in the thread under several different, however putting them together would help interested buyers greatly. I hope the questions are the exhaustive list of quesitons that need to be asked. Is there anything I am missing out/

Thanks & Cheers!
Fatboyslim
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:53   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hello Friends,

Any firsthand reviewes of the road pilot. The deal at 8000 INR looks to be interesting as I want the GPS device for navigation purposes only. I have the following dilemma:

1. What are the advantages of a standalone GPS device over a PDA based GPS system? My main requirement is Navigation?

2. IN the event there are substantial benefits in switching to a standalone device? Which hardware is currently th best? Reviews suggest Garmin to be the best? Are there members who have used both Garmin and Mio? which do they rate better? I believe Magellen is not available in India?

3. Coming to the last part which maps MMI, Satguide (?), Satnav are reputed to be the best in terms of details and accuracy?

I am aware that the answers could possibly exist in the thread under several different, however putting them together would help interested buyers greatly. I hope the questions are the exhaustive list of quesitons that need to be asked. Is there anything I am missing out/

Thanks & Cheers!
Fatboyslim
ALL the same questions are running in my mind either and here are the probable answers to it:

1. if you want GPS as a whole go for a PND only, and mix it with mobile until you have a mobile with atleast 3.5" screen

2. Garmin is best, and MIO (satguide device) the next, but i would still prefer a product of the company as such i.e. MMI (their own brand) and SATGUIDE (MIO)

3. MAPS as seen and read the review, MMI is the best in the game so even i like the MIO PND of satguide i had shortlisted MMI because they are better in the GPS maps game and will provide a better warranty and service for their products, moreover buying a GARMIN from abroad and installing MMI maps will come out to be the same.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:21   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ALL the same questions are running in my mind either and here are the probable answers to it:

1. if you want GPS as a whole go for a PND only, and mix it with mobile until you have a mobile with atleast 3.5" screen

2. Garmin is best, and MIO (satguide device) the next, but i would still prefer a product of the company as such i.e. MMI (their own brand) and SATGUIDE (MIO)

3. MAPS as seen and read the review, MMI is the best in the game so even i like the MIO PND of satguide i had shortlisted MMI because they are better in the GPS maps game and will provide a better warranty and service for their products, moreover buying a GARMIN from abroad and installing MMI maps will come out to be the same.

Its true that MMI has been in the map game for a longer time, but I could not justify the 7K price for their maps. Meanwhile Satguide offers them for 2K, which is much less. I tried to find reasons to justify the price difference, but could not find enough reasons. I saw that folks lined on both sides of the camp. Both Garmin compatible maps and hence the frontend view remains the same, as its the Garmin device that acts on it.

From that point of view, I guess the best VFM is a Nuvi series Garmin device + Satguide. 100$ (5K) for the device + 2K for maps + say 1k for accessories makes it a real VFM deal. But yes the fact is you need to get the latest Garmin product in US.

Anyday I would prefer a Garmin device to the MMI/Satguide hardware products. Though not belittling these products, its just my point of view.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:40   #606
Senior - BHPian

I have bought a VX140 from Map my india and will configure it today after office hours
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:02   #607
BHPian

Quote:
I have bought a VX140 from Map my india and will configure it today after office hours
Ruchir, congrats on the purchase. Waiting for a detailed review. How much it cost finally?
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:18   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Ruchir, congrats on the purchase. Waiting for a detailed review. How much it cost finally?
It cost me exact 14000, with all the standard accessories in the box and warranty card.
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:32   #609
BHPian

Quote:
It cost me exact 14000, with all the standard accessories in the box and warranty card.
Warranty is 6 or 12 mths?
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:57   #610
BHPian

Congrats @ruchirtnt on your new acquisition and welcome to MapMyIndia GPS users club.

What version of maps do you have? Only last week I upgraded my Vx140 with version 4 maps.

And if you face the problems I faced in dashmounting the GPS unit this may help.

While I had sprinkled my limited experience here and there in the past, I too eagerly await for your experience with the device.
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:24   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Warranty is 6 or 12 mths?
On Box it is written 6 months but i am expecting 1 year as i heard it from the executive itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Congrats @ruchirtnt on your new acquisition and welcome to MapMyIndia GPS users club.

What version of maps do you have? Only last week I upgraded my Vx140 with version 4 maps.

And if you face the problems I faced in dashmounting the GPS unit this may help.

While I had sprinkled my limited experience here and there in the past, I too eagerly await for your experience with the device.
Mine is with V4.0 only, and please do give some insights on this dashboard mounting process and where can i procure the same, i have also not got any PND case with the box.
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:37   #612
Senior - BHPian

Some more snaps with video play running
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-22022010240.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-22022010243.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-22022010244.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-22022010247.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2010, 15:00   #613
BHPian

10*10cm square 3mm thick table glass plate: You may get any size cut to your requirement from a local glass/plywood vendor. These are the shops from where the carpenters get their plywood and window glass panels. The local glass vendor was very happy that there is a customer for his waste glass pieces (which they normally throw away) and enthusiastically cut one, gave it to me and pocketed 20 bucks. (It may not even cost 5 bucks but considering the labor involved - about 15 minutes, I did not grumble and I needed it )

3M Dual Lock: As mentioned in my post, this is not available in India. I used the four strips that I purchased long back in U.S.A. The article referenced in my DIY post mentions the places from where one can get it. You may google search "3M Dual Lock" for more details and it should be possible to order online and get it. May be even ebay and Amazon deal with it. But the easiest way to get it is to request a friend arriving from USA to buy a pack of 4 strips from Radio Shack or Target (where I bought it - and at that time I had no idea whatsoever that I will be finally using it for this ) as indicated in the referenced article by the RV (Recreation Vehicle) enthusiast.

You may not require all these if you have an absolutely flat and smooth surface on your dash.

Carry-case for Vx140: MMI does not supply the carry- case. I wish they do. You may purchase the right sized one from any of the mobile phone/PDA dealers.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-carrycase.jpg

I purchased this cheapie one for Rs.190 at Tata Croma Bangalore.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 23rd February 2010 at 15:03.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:35   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
1You may not require all these if you have an absolutely flat and smooth surface on your dash.
I purchased this cheapie one for Rs.190 at Tata Croma Bangalore.
THANKS, I will check some online stores or my friends to do the same.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:24   #615
Senior - BHPian

has anybody of you heard about dashboard plate for attaching windshield mount to it and attach it to dashboard of the car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks