Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 01:38   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
How is this player? Does it play MKV,DivX,xVid files properly? Did you buy it in India? Have you faced any problems using this player?
Yes..it does play all these with full 1080p output over HDMI cable & digital sound output. Even subtitles can be displayed..which I have tried with .srt files.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:32   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Does it fit into a sliding dash ?
My Linea's dash slides down and doesnt have a flat surface.
Yes it would fit on it. I tried it on top of the innova's speedometer console, which curves. It stays...
Old 13th February 2010, 02:43   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Yes it would fit on it. I tried it on top of the innova's speedometer console, which curves. It stays...

How does it stay on a sliding dashboard ? does it have adhesives at the bottom or is it friction mount ?

I am not able to make it out from the pictures available.
Old 13th February 2010, 07:02   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
How does it stay on a sliding dashboard ? does it have adhesives at the bottom or is it friction mount ?

I am not able to make it out from the pictures available.
This has got a non-skid bottom.

New model
Hands-On With Garmin's New, Updated Friction Mount (GPSmagazine.com)

Older Bean bag style model
Don't Like the Windshield Mount? Try A Friction Mount! (GPSmagazine.com)

Not sure, however, how this will hold on our potholed roads.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:22   #560
BHPian

Guys,
This is regarding my MMI LX130/VX140 review thread. Shivalik, from MMI PMed me and I realized that sometimes intent is misunderstood in phrases.

I want to apologize to Shivalik if he felt personally attacked. My idea was to compare products that I bought, share experience and give feedback.

Cheers!!
-Rishi
Old 15th February 2010, 14:40   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
This has got a non-skid bottom.

New model
Hands-On With Garmin's New, Updated Friction Mount (GPSmagazine.com)

Older Bean bag style model
Don't Like the Windshield Mount? Try A Friction Mount! (GPSmagazine.com)

Not sure, however, how this will hold on our potholed roads.
sanjay so how is the overall experience of using it, how is the movie play, bluetooth if there and device GPS capability, please post some snaps as well, i am excited to know and see and will also book the same if found good
Old 15th February 2010, 16:49   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
sanjay so how is the overall experience of using it, how is the movie play, bluetooth if there and device GPS capability, please post some snaps as well, i am excited to know and see and will also book the same if found good
Ruchir, I have personally not used the frictionless holder which I posted.

I guess you are asking about the gps unit which I bought from dealextreme.

The 7" GPS unit seems to be robust. I have been able to load Miopocket software and all apps are ok. Here is my short review...(have still not used in the car)

Touchscreen- 7", roubust, quite big, but in direct sunlight, is inadequate

Bluetooth - was able to pair by iPhone and send/receive calls. Cannot get the addressbook listing from iPhone though (seem iPhone issue) but will try with my Nokia N95 and update. Call quality superb with no echo.

GPS Receiver - Very quick fix. Within 1 min a cold fix was obtained, even from my balcony (not very open)

Maps/Navigation - Need to install map/navigation software. Planning to install MMI.

Audio player - No issues with MP3 playback

Video player - built-in Windows Media video player is inadequate. But with 3rd party media players bundled in Miopocket, most of mp4/avi/xvid plays just fine. Note that these video files should be converted to the 800x600 resolution of the lcd screen for playing smoothly..but larger formats like 720p or 1080p, the playback is choppy. Which means all my videos which I have avlbl, converted for PSP/IPhone/iPOD format/resolution, played smoothly.

Speaker - built in speaker is VERY loud.

With Miopocket, lot of pocket pc games avlbl, and more can be installed to keep the kids engaged.

Best thing about this is that AV-in is present. So, it can act as a video-output screen for my portable DVD-player or WD HDTV player. With this 2 combi, even HD-quality movies can easily be played.

Gripes-
- Not much to say about looks, but so-so.
- I did not realise before, but 7" is too large a screen to be put on dash/windscreen, though windscreen/dash holder is included.
- Battery is useless - gets drained within 1 hr..but that is expected of all cheap Chinese devices. But the car charger provided the unit is one of the best quality I have seen so far. Also, the angular nature of the charger is a boon for my Fiesta.

Will post some pictures of this later this month.
Old 16th February 2010, 08:48   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Gripes-
- Not much to say about looks, but so-so.
- I did not realise before, but 7" is too large a screen to be put on dash/windscreen, though windscreen/dash holder is included.
- Battery is useless - gets drained within 1 hr..but that is expected of all cheap Chinese devices. But the car charger provided the unit is one of the best quality I have seen so far. Also, the angular nature of the charger is a boon for my Fiesta.
Will post some pictures of this later this month.
Thanks for the review sanjay,
Old 17th February 2010, 09:08   #565
Senior - BHPian

following is the link to know all the garmin devices discontinued in the US site, what we are discussing here are all discontinued models

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164
Old 17th February 2010, 11:03   #566
BHPian

these are the current products - i think i posted this link before
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
265wt is there
Old 18th February 2010, 11:01   #567
Senior - BHPian

How is the idea of buying a 3.5" Screen N900 and then use it as phone and a GPS for car as well instead of PND's
Old 18th February 2010, 11:29   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
How is the idea of buying a 3.5" Screen N900 and then use it as phone and a GPS for car as well instead of PND's
I would prefer using phone as a strictly personal navigation device. I would rather buy another one for automotive navigation.

Even cost wise it would be more effective. N900 would be ~35K or more. Even with a smart phone (say E71, 14K) + a basic Nuvi 205 + maps (8K), you can do it in 22K. For this you get a far better Automotive Navigation Device with a S/W catering to this application alone.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:56   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would prefer using phone as a strictly personal navigation device. I would rather buy another one for automotive navigation.
Any specific reason why you want two devices when one converged device can do the job. There are already devices which do phone, email, gps, audio/video very well and all this can be voice operated.
I am using an htc diamond for above, but in the future with android phones like xperia x10 (with turn bu turn voice google maps) coming soon these functions will be done much much better
Old 18th February 2010, 15:59   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even cost wise it would be more effective. N900 would be ~35K or more. Even with a smart phone (say E71, 14K) + a basic Nuvi 205 + maps (8K), you can do it in 22K. For this you get a far better Automotive Navigation Device with a S/W catering to this application alone.
I have a E71 but map support in my place is not very good and moreover i need a device with extra capabilities like bluetooth and video play

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks