Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:10   #451
BHPian

^^ I am completely with you ironh4wk
and given the accuracy and detail of google maps, all they needed was to add turn by turn voice and text to speech to read out street names. and they have added it!!
Its all coming for free in android based devices for now - i think I am going to stay off garmin-satnav-mmi bandawagon and wait for google
Google Maps Navigation: A Free, ***-Kicking, Turn-by-Turn Mobile App - Google maps navigation - Gizmodo
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:22   #452
BHPian

Nokia today announced free navigation for all Nokia phones over GPRS. This will also support an offline mode to save on data charges. There is a TOI report today that this is to pre-empt the entry of Android phones. The scene is hotting up!
Old 26th January 2010, 14:58   #453
BHPian

I got my brother to pick up Garmin Nuvi750 from Walmart in US. He is coming to India next week. Cost me $150 inclusive of taxes.

http://wallmart.com/catalog/product....uct_id=7958703

I need to choose between MMI and Satguide maps for the device. I am looking for an answer to the perennial question in this thread: which one? Can anybody justify the premium MMI charges over Satguide for India maps?

PS: I probably won't go for unlocked maps from the net. I am not a techie so I need piece of mind. I think NetfreakBombay said it somewhere that Garmin + Satguide is the best for non-techies like me.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:26   #454
Senior - BHPian

Having used Garmin (with 09-112 mb maps), Satguide, MapKing and MMI (0109 maps).. I can vouch for the UI and accuracy of MMI. I found it simply to be the best amongst these.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:02   #455
Team-BHP Support

Satguide will cost you 2K as compared to 7K of MMI. I have seen vouch for accuracy of Satguide as well. Even I own a Satguide running on Nuvi 205W. Decent enough.

At least I have not seen a conclusive answer on Satguide vs. MMI. Facts are before you. You can decide. For me, at least I could not justify the map cost of 7K for MMI.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:53   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

I could justify it.

Go to the satguide maps page -->here. Select Alleppey. Impressed? I'm not!

That particular town may not matter to you. Please check out some places that will matter before you spend your money. Even the outskirts of your own city. You may be surprised how quickly the detail evaporates to nothing as you reach the outskirts.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:10   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I could justify it.

Go to the satguide maps page -->here. Select Alleppey. Impressed? I'm not!

That particular town may not matter to you. Please check out some places that will matter before you spend your money. Even the outskirts of your own city. You may be surprised how quickly the detail evaporates to nothing as you reach the outskirts.
Thats a good point. Satguide has pretty poor coverage of Kerala. A fact that I mentioned many time to Satguide folks. They acknowledged this. In fact Munnar and nearby parts are not even covered well. Hopefully that should be fixed in their next release due any time. For major cities, at least I was OK with it.

However the main highways are covered and that includes Kerala as well.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:38   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I got my brother to pick up Garmin Nuvi750 from Walmart in US. He is coming to India next week. Cost me $150 inclusive of taxes.

Walmart.com: Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS w/ 4.3" Screen, Spoken Street Names, MP3 Player & FM Transmitter: GPS & Navigation

I need to choose between MMI and Satguide maps for the device. I am looking for an answer to the perennial question in this thread: which one? Can anybody justify the premium MMI charges over Satguide for India maps?

PS: I probably won't go for unlocked maps from the net. I am not a techie so I need piece of mind. I think NetfreakBombay said it somewhere that Garmin + Satguide is the best for non-techies like me.

In North India, Satguide's coverage is pretty good. Buy either Satguide or maps from Garmin. Garmin comes with Navteq maps (100 cities) and it is going to expand to 400 in next few months.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:01   #459
Senior - BHPian

MMI v 4.0 0909 release is poor than its previous version 0109.
Old 29th January 2010, 14:33   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Hi guys, this is my new MapMyIndia VX-140, Driving through Bangalore roads.
hi shamath & nairrk,

how is the experience using the bluetooth handsfree model.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:00   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
hi shamath & nairrk,

how is the experience using the bluetooth handsfree model.

Incoming and outgoing works fine. Even when navigating through maps calls can be received and after the call maps works fine. I was not able to view contacts of phone, when i tried it VX-140 got hanged. I mostly attach Line-out to auxiliary in of Car Audio, otherwise speaker sound of VX-140 is not sufficient when windows is open.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:55   #462
Senior - BHPian

i had a word with MMI team and they told me that VX is not capable of loading maps of places outside india, for that i need to purchase a garmin.

and how is your experience for playing videos, are they clear enough or do the pixels gets broken while running.

which one is better nüvi® 765T or VX 140

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd February 2010 at 20:10.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:48   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i had a word with MMI team and they told me that VX is not capable of loading maps of places outside india, for that i need to purchase a garmin.

and how is your experience for playing videos, are they clear enough or do the pixels gets broken while running.
Video is very clear and of great quality. No breakage of pixel anywhere.
Old 30th January 2010, 15:24   #464
Senior - BHPian

based on your and @nairrk input, i am also planning to go for a VX 140

i would like to thank sanjay also for his helpful stand in every topic

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd February 2010 at 20:11.
Old 31st January 2010, 17:09   #465
BHPian

I have a question to all who are currently using either MMI or SNav devices regarding route recalculation.

What happens if you take another route; say, one leading away from the route suggested initially by the device, does the software update and recalculate the route based on your location?

Reason for asking this is that I was trying the new OVI Maps from Nokia and found that the navigation system tries to get the wandering driver back to the suggested course first and then continue from there, the route recalculation is purely aimed at getting one back to the initial course, no matter if that means the driver has to make a U turn 5km away or something of that kind

I am planning to get the VX140, any inputs to the above query is appreciated.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks